Page 124 of 189 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126134174 ... LastLast
Results 3,691 to 3,720 of 5648

Thread: What's messing with your Groove?

I'm currently under a tornado watch and local flood warnings. It was so pretty yesterday but at least I get one more day of not having to run the A/C, considering its supposed to climb into the 90s next week.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Eeek...be safe man.

(Still envious of your warmer temps though)
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Innit. Fucking heavy snow in April.
    Here in Corn Country, it snowed 10 inches in one day last week, and was 18C a few days later.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Especially since STEM is an engineering heavy science and math track.
    And that's my beef. It's like the tail wagging the dog. There are plenty of Science categories that could be taught in Junior or High School....that would attract students into technology/engineering/math as adjuncts to those fields of study.

(Tim, he's 17 years old.)

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Here in Corn Country, it snowed 10 inches in one day last week, and was 18C a few days later.
    Nobody in Corn Country USA uses celsius to complain about the temps.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    And that's my beef. It's like the tail wagging the dog. There are plenty of Science categories that could be taught in Junior or High School....that would attract students into technology/engineering/math as adjuncts to those fields of study.

As far as I know, we don't have a shortage in biology and botany graduates and professors. We do have a massive shortage in physics, chemistry, and engineering ones. Looking at my college, I'd guess that half the faculty and probably as many grad students in the latter departments are foreigners.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    As far as I know, we don't have a shortage in biology and botany graduates and professors. We do have a massive shortage in physics, chemistry, and engineering ones. Looking at my college, I'd guess that half the faculty and probably as many grad students in the latter departments are foreigners.
    The reality is actually way more complicated, Loki. Oddly, STEM PhD students actually have a tough time getting jobs despite the moaning about a shortage in industry. The reasons for this are many and complex.

Then maybe he shouldn't have narrowed his focus so soon by jumping into STEM? We have environmental programs down here, just like we have engineering programs, but they are in-depth studies and thus pretty much track exclusive. To the point that the schools are on different sides of the county. While people may not agree with pigeonholing kids as young as 11 or 12, I have no beef with doing it with high schoolers (if thats what the student wants). Even within a certain track there is still a huge world of possible career and interest paths. The courses still cover the basics that the colleges are going to charge you to relearn anyway, and thats a fresh slate to change paths if needed/wanted.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

OG, he didn't "jump" into STEM....the school district puts students on certain academic tracks in 5th/6th grade. They decided the kids who get good grades AND "test" well on all those fricking placement tests should be on the CP/CPA track. Even for subjects they're not keen on, or struggle with....like advanced math or computer science.

In other words, there's no way for a student to take advanced classes in soft sciences (literature, history, economics, politics, sociology, language) or hard bio-sciences unless they also take advanced math, technology, or engineering-related classes. Meanwhile, they've eliminated many classes in hard/soft Science in order to accommodate more classes in TEM.

It's absolutely crazy. On top of that....the district STILL doesn't offer AP classes or college credits. No, that would be too sensible. Instead, they have special classes for a handful of "Gifted" students, AND cover their tuition to take some classes at local colleges/universities, earning both HS and college credits.

This family has managed to break 4 glasses today. 3 of which were ikea glasses. After spending most of the day at ikea and deciding we didn't need new glasses.

Everyone is restricted to plastic cups until further notice

Temporarily hobbled by a nasty heel skin crack that's more like a deep fissure. Decided to visit a "salon" for a pedicure that included callous removal and "therapeutic" treatment. Their water heater was on the fritz, but they encouraged me to sit in a comfy chair and wait a few minutes. Since I was in active pain, I waited. And waited.

After a while, I asked if they had a microwave and could heat enough water to soak my painful foot, then apply the callous treatment? Or could they use hot towels? They immediately ushered me to a massaging spa chair. Maybe I was being too noisy or vocal, but they didn't want me to hobble out and lose a paying customer.

A couple of women entered as "walk-ins" asking for pedicures during this time...so my idea seemed like a good innovation. My foot was so sore I let the technician "dip" my feet in ice cold water to begin the treatment while others bustled about (speaking Korean) trying to make everyone happy.

The woman next to me got a tub full of hot microwaved water for her pedicure, while mine were being rinsed in ice cold water. I ended up being charged half price, but it wasn't really worth it. Didn't make my foot feel any better when the manager thanked me profusely and hugged me for giving them the microwave idea.

Soon afterward, I felt conflicted about the whole thing, in context. Here were three generations of Korean refugees working very hard in the American economy, "servicing" peoples' hands and feet. In their home country, people are thrown into gulags/prisons or have their hands or feet amputated on a routine basis.

I am having the second cold in as many months. It's really annoying this, sinuses clogged up, coughing a lot and my lips are hurting. I feel like I'm choking if I try to sleep with the windows closed and outside it is still freezing. This is the year from hell it seems.
    Congratulations America

Temporarily hobbled by a nasty heel skin crack that's more like a deep fissure. Decided to visit a "salon" for a pedicure that included callous removal and "therapeutic" treatment. Their water heater was on the fritz, but they encouraged me to sit in a comfy chair and wait a few minutes. Since I was in active pain, I waited. And waited.

After a while, I asked if they had a microwave and could heat enough water to soak my painful foot, then apply the callous treatment? Or could they use hot towels? They immediately ushered me to a massaging spa chair. Maybe I was being too noisy or vocal, but they didn't want me to hobble out and lose a paying customer.

A couple of women entered as "walk-ins" asking for pedicures during this time...so my idea seemed like a good innovation. My foot was so sore I let the technician "dip" my feet in ice cold water to begin the treatment while others bustled about (speaking Korean) trying to make everyone happy.

The woman next to me got a tub full of hot microwaved water for her pedicure, while mine were being rinsed in ice cold water. I ended up being charged half price, but it wasn't really worth it. Didn't make my foot feel any better when the manager thanked me profusely and hugged me for giving them the microwave idea.

Soon afterward, I felt conflicted about the whole thing, in context. Here were three generations of Korean refugees working very hard in the American economy, "servicing" peoples' hands and feet. In their home country, people are thrown into gulags/prisons or have their hands or feet amputated on a routine basis.

I doubt very much that happens in South Korea. I'm also not so certain North Korea lets out a significant number of its citizens.
    Congratulations America

Wasp sting on my middle finger while hanging laundry. I seem to have 3 thumbs at the moment

Found out that neither my shoes nor my jacket are remotely water-proof. Would have helped if this happened before the 2.5 mile walk when it was pouring rain/thunderstorm.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    I doubt very much that happens in South Korea. I'm also not so certain North Korea lets out a significant number of its citizens.
    Koreans (in general) try to move from north to south, then emigrate to the US. It can take several years and more than one generation.

This place has been loading so slow I'm having netzero flashbacks.

Explosions at the marathon here... hoping no one gets hurt too badly.

Ditto. I'm hoping it's some kind of a gas-related explosion, but it doesn't look too likely at this point.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Our news services report that several people lost limbs.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

2 dead already.

Stockholm, it reminded me of a bombed out German city, with the charm then stripped away.
    Congratulations America

Scarlett didn't make it into headstart this year

Is there a criteria?

being extremely poor, or lucky enough to find a remaining spot if their aren't enough extremely poor people that they use regular poor to fill the class.

OG, isn't it good news that your family isn't 'extremely poor' or even 'regular poor'?

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    being extremely poor, or lucky enough to find a remaining spot if their aren't enough extremely poor people that they use regular poor to fill the class.
    Maybe you can do a better job at being poor next year.

Always good to have something to aim for.

~

Wait, what's to pay for anyway? School's free no? So what does it matter how rich or poor you are?

I think Headstart is a pre-school program.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Always good to have something to aim for.

~

Wait, what's to pay for anyway? School's free no? So what does it matter how rich or poor you are?
    wraith is correct. florida managed to get early education into their constitution, but its voluntary. combine that with aging republican mindset of save the fetus, ignore the child, and you end up with a rollout that's been extremely limited. To the point where you get a headstart or VPK (voluntary prekindergarten) in around 1 of 5 elementary schools. So its admissions are cutthroat and very limited. based on the "most needy" first, meaning extreme poverty.

Ocean got into it when they first moved down, and the program is amazing. There are comparable programs (in name) hosted by daycares but the hours are much shorter and its not in a school setting which is what we are aiming for.