Page 131 of 189 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133141181 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,930 of 5648

Thread: What's messing with your Groove?

Actually, Holland has a fairly flexible job market. Problems like the one Flixy describes (to be honest he describes a non-problem) could easily have been avoided. Also firing someone one a indefinate contract is much easier than most people realise.

Especially non-skilled jobs come with little job -security.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Actually, Holland has a fairly flexible job market. Problems like the one Flixy describes (to be honest he describes a non-problem) could easily have been avoided. Also firing someone one a indefinate contract is much easier than most people realise.

Especially non-skilled jobs come with little job -security.
    Compared to much of Europe, you are indeed correct. That is what's scary.

Apparently CBS thinks its more important for a rerun of Big Bang to finish instead of showing a new episode of Under the Dome on time.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Labour laws designed to protect me are screwing me By law, if you work somewhere for 3+ years without getting a 'permanent' contract (i.e. you can't be fired as easy, have more rights when you get sick, etc.) your employer is obligated to offer you one (or let you go). Which is fnie for 'real' jobs, but for my job on the side (~12 hours per week) I don't want, or need a permanent contract. Result: I will not work for three months, after that I can start working again. So that's more than €2000 in lost income for me - though, granted, it will improve my sleep cycle
    Wait why exactly will you not be working for 3 months?
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Compared to much of Europe, you are indeed correct. That is what's scary.
    Compared to much of Europe and the USA. A concept like 'tenure' is completely alien to our job market. What we do have is strong protection against 'unreasonable dismissal', which shouldn't pose a serious problem to an employer who has got his personel files in order. Dismissal on economical grounds is as easy as it gets.

I personally have worked for 23 years in a succession of positions that by now would have made me entirely immune to dismissal in the US by now. Where I in Holland know that I have job-security for roughly the next year and a half (prediction on the basis of where the economy stands at the moment). There have been times in the last 5 years that I wasn't even certain if I'd still have a job after the december Holidays at the beginning of the month.
    Last edited by Hazir; 09-10-2013 at 11:35 AM.
    Congratulations America

In the US, tenure is not by statute but choice of an individual employer/industry. That's the fundamental distinction.

Regardless, I'm not sure how having job security for a year and a half is somehow a flexible labor market...?

Seems long to me too. In Switzerland 2 or 3 months are usual. The only restriction by the government is: time to quit must be equal to the time to fire.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Quote Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
    Seems long to me too. In Switzerland 2 or 3 months are usual. The only restriction by the government is: time to quit must be equal to the time to fire.
    Most employment in the US is at-will. It's considered polite to give two weeks notice, but that's merely a cultural convention. There are some state-dependent exceptions to this, but they're not applicable to the majority of cases.

In the US, tenure is not by statute but choice of an individual employer/industry. That's the fundamental distinction.

Regardless, I'm not sure how having job security for a year and a half is somehow a flexible labor market...?
    If you would have read ALL of that you could have known that was an estimate on the basis of market conditions at this time. Which I don't expect to change in a way that could cost me my job over the next 18 months.

As for tenure; we don't have the concept, at all, anywhere. You problably couldn't even enforce it in court.
    Congratulations America

Most employment in the US is at-will. It's considered polite to give two weeks notice, but that's merely a cultural convention. There are some state-dependent exceptions to this, but they're not applicable to the majority of cases.
    As I see it, two months can hardly be a difference for a company when they considering the flexibility of the job market. If you need qualified personal you can't exchange people on such a fast rate anyway. And for the unqualified fields many jobs are temporary anyway. The 2 month rule is only for fixed contracts.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...ml?ir=Politics

Bachmann, Gohmert, and King....The Three Stooges of US congress.

Well, they're not exactly separate from each other either - al qaeda ideology is based on a leading MB's writings, and the current leader of AQ was in the MB. But IIRC the Muslim brotherhood denounced terrorism for some time now.

The Huff Post article didn't link to the right video.

I experienced a rather big Senior Moment recently. My car's digital gas gauge was blinking one bar--almost empty. So I pulled into the gas station, swiped my debit card, began fueling using the automatic shut-off....and continued a conversation with my son, got some drinks and snacks, emptied the garbage, etc. After a while we noticed the pumping was complete, so I put the nozzle back and waited for the receipt. No paper came out, but didn't want to mess with going inside to ask for a register duplicate. On our way with a full tank of gas.

But the gas gauge hadn't moved, and the "maintenance required" light was blinking. Hmm, figured it was something I'd take care of later, and would use the tripometer in the meantime (knowing the car can go over 200 miles on a full tank). Then had to drive some miles to a rural auto-repair place to drop off my other son's car, following him (and his dad) as the ride home. While filling out the paper work....

my car died and wouldn't start. FUCK! Kid said it sounds like it's out of gas. No, no, I filled it up the other day! and the tripometer said 48 miles! Could be a clogged fuel pump or messed up sensor. So we left my car left over-night for repair instead, and drove his car home. Mechanic calls me next day and says they began to pull the fuel tank (based on my note) and it was light as a feather, bone dry. He put in a gallon of gas and it started right up, no bad 'codes', nothing wrong.

Long story short....I hadn't pumped any gas at all! The readout was from the previous customer. That's why no receipt came out. The 'maintenance required' was blinking because it was due for an oil change. OMG. Seriously? I ran out of gas for the *first time in my entire life*. At least it was in the auto-repair parking lot, not in miles of cornfields and backroads, and I had a back-up car. But I felt like such an idiot. An old geezer. My kids thinks it's funny, I'll never live this one down.

On Sept. 1, Margaret Mary Vojtko, an adjunct professor who had taught French at Duquesne University for 25 years, passed away at the age of 83. She died as the result of a massive heart attack she suffered two weeks before. As it turned out, I may have been the last person she talked to.

On Aug. 16, I received a call from a very upset Margaret Mary. She told me that she was under an incredible amount of stress. She was receiving radiation therapy for the cancer that had just returned to her, she was living nearly homeless because she could not afford the upkeep on her home, which was literally falling in on itself, and now, she explained, she had received another indignity -- a letter from Adult Protective Services telling her that someone had referred her case to them saying that she needed assistance in taking care of herself. The letter said that if she did not meet with the caseworker the following Monday, her case would be turned over to Orphans' Court.

For a proud professional like Margaret Mary, this was the last straw; she was mortified. She begged me to call Adult Protective Services and tell them to leave her alone, that she could take care of herself and did not need their help. I agreed to. Sadly, a couple of hours later, she was found on her front lawn, unconscious from a heart attack. She never regained consciousness...
    http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...djunct-703773/
    Hope is the denial of reality

Nintendo visionary Hiroshi Yamauchi dies aged 85
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24160150

think i'll go home and plug in my snes for a while
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

I miss the forum activity we used to have...especially during Late-Night on this side of the pond.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    I miss the forum activity we used to have...especially during Late-Night on this side of the pond.
    Get netflix and start threads on the first season of Lost etc
    Congratulations America

Sorry, GG, saving the world requires I get my beauty sleep.

Sorry, GG, saving the world requires I get my beauty sleep.
    Sleeping won't make you beautiful.
    Congratulations America

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Seconded. You can sleep when you're dead.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

So the company I used to work for doing medical animations has recently gained the support of an investment firm in the amount of 4 million dollars. I sent off an email to my former boss congratulating him and the company after reading the article in Forbes, and letting him know that I would be excited to work with them again if they ever need any assistance or if new employment positions open up. Didn't hear back the next day, so I called in to the general phone number and left a voicemail along the same lines. This isn't the messing with my groove part. They're a small company, and they just got 4 million dollars from an investment firm. I figure they're busy with whatever that entails, plus coming up with a strategy on how to proceed now that they have this infusion of cash. The messing with my groove part is that my friends and family don't believe the call and email are enough. They want me to call again. Every day they're open. Until I speak with someone. They think that the worst that will happen is they'll say "No." The worst thing I think will happen is that by calling every day that any chance or possibility of returning to employment with them will become a "No." I keep trying to tell them that I've worked with them, and they won't like this. My friends and family are having none of it and just think I'm making excuses, being lazy, or not aggressive/persistent enough. I understand trying to follow up...but the way they want to do it seems like overkill and will result in the exact opposite of what they want to happen.

I am considering following up with an employee I used to work with on every project to get his opinion on the situation though.
    . . .

Maybe you should stop sharing certain "information" with your family? Their good intentions may not synch with your goals, and might even sabotage them.

Illusions, what is your guiding incentive -- getting a good paying job in your trained field, or moving out of your parents' house? Your options will get crappier and harder the longer you delay that decision. You know that, right?

http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations...ouncement.html

Our investigation currently indicates that the attackers accessed Adobe customer IDs and encrypted passwords on our systems. We also believe the attackers removed from our systems certain information relating to 2.9 million Adobe customers, including customer names, encrypted credit or debit card numbers, expiration dates, and other information relating to customer orders.

These companies really suck at protecting their data.

Quote Originally Posted by Echovirus View Post
    These companies really suck at protecting their data.
    That, or the hackers are really good. Is it possible to have an entirely safe database?

At least they didn't, say, leave a laptop/thumb drive with a lot of sensitive information on a bus or train, that's happened too
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations...ouncement.html

Our investigation currently indicates that the attackers accessed Adobe customer IDs and encrypted passwords on our systems. We also believe the attackers removed from our systems certain information relating to 2.9 million Adobe customers, including customer names, encrypted credit or debit card numbers, expiration dates, and other information relating to customer orders.
    Unfortunately the emails were not immediate, so while I spent most of yesterday thinking that I was not one of the 2.9 million affected, I did get my email around 2 AM today, and reset my password. Now I get to wait and see if I get the letter they mentioned in my regular old fashioned mail, and go through the joys of canceling and getting another credit card. Which also means changing all the monthly services attached to it over to a different card, then back to the new one and hoping I don't see any disruption of services. I'm just glad everything was encrypted, but I get the feeling that my more than a dozen character long complex password may not be that hard to decrypt once they find out how to decrypt the whole thing because some idiot was using password1234 or fluffykins as their password.

Also the "Adobe Customer IDs" are email addresses as far as I know (based on what I have to enter when it asks for my Adobe ID). So unless its all encrypted, they now at the very least have a list of real world names tied to email addresses.
    . . .

yeah, the IDs are emails, and if they reset those its going to a fucking headache for our digital services in the library. We use overdrive, which uses Adobe Digital Editions and Adobe ID.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    [...] but I get the feeling that my more than a dozen character long complex password may not be that hard to decrypt once they find out how to decrypt the whole thing because some idiot was using password1234 or fluffykins as their password.
    That's why you salt hash functions. The salt can be public - doesn't matter whether the attacker knows it or not, it just makes rainbow tables unusable.

And finding one collision in a hashed password table doesn't make the others easier to decrypt. You still need to bruteforce your way through the whole table.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?