Page 14 of 189 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: What's messing with your Groove?

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Some time ago, around Christmas, I was at a gay club in Istanbul with a bunch of friends and friends of friends. At one point one of my acquaintances, who was going to stay over that night asked me if I could translate between him and this 'really cute tourist' he had met. I obliged, and to my surprise found out that I wouldn't be doing Turkish-English, but Turkish-Dutch. That was because the 'really cute tourist' turned out to be a dutch man who lives in the same neighbourhood as I in Amsterdam. Of course we chatted a bit, and I found out that he was a local politician besides the fact that he was handsome.

After the club closed we (including the tourist) went to my place to have a drink. Some drinks later, it gets time to break up the company and, to make a long story short, the Turkish acquaintance and the dutch tourist wind up in the same bed.

The next morning the dutch tourist is gone before I wake up, but according to the claims of the Turk they had a very pleasant time together in bed.

Fast forward to today.

I am in Amsterdam, at the office and a bit bored, so I start surfing a bit online. I see an article on the site of a local newspaper about the elections and I remember this guy. I google his name and sure enough I get some results. One of which is that he just got married to a woman.
    Out of curiosity, what party was he in? :P In the USA msot things like that seem to be republican, makes we wonder if he's from a christian party here. Being gay isn't really that much of an issue for politicians in Amsterdam is it?
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Out of curiosity, what party was he in? :P In the USA msot things like that seem to be republican, makes we wonder if he's from a christian party here. Being gay isn't really that much of an issue for politicians in Amsterdam is it?
    VVD, so not a christian party.
    Congratulations America

Commercially available jetpacks. Guess I'll have to find something new to bitch about when talking about failed promises of the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Commercially available jetpacks. Guess I'll have to find something new to bitch about when talking about failed promises of the future.
    It's so sad when this happens. You have my sympathy. If I were you I'd go with teleportation for the follow up.
    Congratulations America

Why would a surgeon cut so close to the xiphoid process? You see, if you have an incision right below the xiphoid process (that thing sticking down from your sternum), then the slightest slouching causes the process to dig into the upper part of the incision. Ouch! Yet you can't have good posture, because that pulls on the incision, and also hurts. So you're left with laying back at 45˚ as the only comfortable position to be in, and pretty much all movement causing significant inflammation of the incision. Why? Why? 1 cm lower would have worked great!

ouch incision or staples? Ask the surgeon for a partial refund Tear!

Incision is the problem--the bone presses into the top end of it. It's irritating enough that the top is now much more swollen that the rest. Like and upside-down thermometer, with the reservoir being where the bone presses in. My transplant incision started 1 cm lower, but was much less painful even though twice as long (12")

I can't bitch. It was surgery or death. It's just messing with my groove.

Yeah, but it's okay to bitch! Sounds painful and irritating! Might be they had to extend your new incision beyond the old scarring to get tovo stronger skin and promote better healing....?

(my C-section was longer 2nd time around too)

Actually, there's a good chance that's it. He totally cleaned up the old incision, which had healed poorly. Wounds don't heal well when you're on 30 mg/day of prednisone. So he cleaned up the total top half of it. I'll probably be better off in the long run....

You can actually see some of these details. The staples on the lower are right up to the breast bone. And you can actually see swelling on the upper (first surgery) right on top of the incision. Same phenomenon, but it's just lasted a lot longer with the second incision.

Also, if you look at the bottom of the second, you can see that the scar is puckered, my belly a little twisted, and the scar is about half an inch wide. Poor resolution though.

Ruined my modeling career!

Me with incision 1 year ago

Me with incision 2 weeks ago

Anyway, just bitching, which is the purpose of this thread. I am very grateful, just more tired than I've ever been in my life.

Thanks for the sympathy.

My second complaint, though outdated: for all three surgeries I've had this year, I have spasms in my stomach muscles when I came out from anesthesia (didn't matter as much for the hernia repair, but the others....). Can you imagine getting cut in half and then have the muscles around it seize up in a cramp that lasts minutes? It felt like somebody was trying to pull my incision open while I was awake. I was screaming and they're running around trying to find a stronger pain med. This last time it was so bad that they had me on valium for days afterwards, because the cramps kept coming back. Damdest thing. About the worst pain of my life.

ewww! A charlie horse in the gut! Anesthesia is complex, probably had a muscle relaxant or paralytic in the cocktail which wore off.

2nd one looks better--hey you have your own belly groove now! An exclamation mark

Yup, it's a question mark.

Just needed to do some well-earned whining. Thanks!

My whine now is that it's not very satisfying to whine about anything in my life, as it seems trivial compared to your organ transplant!

but what the hell....SSDD....my ex-husband really grinds my gears. Tues/Thurs are his visitation days, but he cancelled Tuesday with our older son (whom we haven't seen in over 2 weeks) because he had a wine tasting party to go to. But he picked up our younger son anyway, and left him alone at his house. And didn't bother to tell me in advance so we could reschedule. What an ass.

Ouch, that's really uncool. And the problem is you can't vent to the kids, because it increases the damage.

Damn, that is some serious asshattery. Your kids are going to need a lot of therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    My whine now is that it's not very satisfying to whine about anything in my life, as it seems trivial compared to your organ transplant!

but what the hell....SSDD....my ex-husband really grinds my gears. Tues/Thurs are his visitation days, but he cancelled Tuesday with our older son (whom we haven't seen in over 2 weeks) because he had a wine tasting party to go to. But he picked up our younger son anyway, and left him alone at his house. And didn't bother to tell me in advance so we could reschedule. What an ass.
    Can't you report him to child services? I'm pretty sure leaving a child alone for an entire night is illegal.
    Hope is the denial of reality

The problem is that such actions can do a lot of harm to the kids. A Pyhrric victory.

Some people have never heard of The Reader. Unworthy shits, the lot of them.

Now I want to watch it again, too.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by ']['ear View Post
    The problem is that such actions can do a lot of harm to the kids. A Pyhrric victory.
    Being around a highly irresponsible adult can cause even more harm, including physical harm.
    Hope is the denial of reality

I tried that a few years ago, Loki. Got nowhere. I was basically told by a caseworker that unless he's shooting heroin and has hookers on the front stoop, being out for a party/meeting/whatever doesn't meet the criteria for neglect.

And now our boy is 14 yrs old, so it's not like being left alone is considered dangerous. It's just maddening, and puts the kid in the middle of choosing.

God I hate it when this place goes to sleep, and I know I'll be chasing sleep myself.

So I turn on the tv, and it's about Chaz Bono's gender change. I think he looks better and more comfortable as a man, even though very over weight. Quite brave to share that monumentally personal transition in such a public way, on CNN.

But it's messing with my groove that there are only like 5 people here, and probably none in chatty moods.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    God I hate it when this place goes to sleep, and I know I'll be chasing sleep myself.

So I turn on the tv, and it's about Chaz Bono's gender change. I think he looks better and more comfortable as a man, even though very over weight. Quite brave to share that monumentally personal transition in such a public way, on CNN.

But it's messing with my groove that there are only like 5 people here, and probably none in chatty moods.

Silver appears quite chatty.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Well then. I'll pour a glass of wine, listen to a delayed broadcast of Larry King, and chat up the hi ho Silver dude.

I think my groove just got a bit better.

All I have is beer. Somebody drank all the tequila.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Had a shitty day at work. About at noon I had an accident (started runaway reaction of sort) which could've exploded and/or filled the lab with harmful vapor. Somehow I managed to send the whole mix down the drain in fume hood (supposedly biodegradable stuff, no worries there), burning my thumb in process.

While the accident itself has no apparent consequences (up to now, anyway), it left me somewhat worried for the rest of the day, which probably caused my performance to drop somewhat.
    Carthāgō dēlenda est

What is it you do, exactly?

Organic synthesis, with all the fun that involves.
    Carthāgō dēlenda est

The new splashback cracked from the heat of the first dinner I cooked with the new hob. The guys who are suposed to be fitting the flooring tomorrow (already a week late) aren't returning my calls. The electrical retailer just texted me to confirm delivery of the fridge freezer when I told them to push delivery back a week. It's all minor shit, but it's annoying.
    There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame

Life, in general, and the fact that I suspect ants have taken up residence in my desktop PC.
    Congratulations America

In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Thanks for that, actually
    Congratulations America

Certain people either don't check their PMs, or I am being ignored. Either way, it's messing with me.