Page 154 of 189 FirstFirst ... 54104144152153154155156164 ... LastLast
Results 4,591 to 4,620 of 5648

Thread: What's messing with your Groove?

What do you blame for it, icky?
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

No idea.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    That's the worst you've managed? Unless it's a truly enormous prep column, I've easily got you beat. I have broken a number of pretty delicate load cells, costing well into the five digits to replace. I'm sure there are some other expensive things I've done before that are on par - generally with absurdly expensive bits of equipment that needed servicing after I used them. My only consolation is that these things just happen from time to time, and you have to roll with the punches. I am curious how you managed to cleave the C18 strands off an HPLC column, though!
    150 mm, ID 50 mm. There are probably bigger ones, but it was the largest we have for this chromatograph.

As for how - beats me. In principle, it's not a particularly difficult task. All you need is a sufficiently basic eluent (in some cases "sufficiently" being anything beyond pH 8 or so). This, however, I did keep in mind, and used a mildly acidic eluent system. I don't think I did anything wrong (and what is more important, neither do people above me in the food chain) so it might have just been a defective column.
    Carthāgō dēlenda est

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    I think you're still way below other labs. I hear that the more volatile azides are particularly spectacular as they blow up when you try to use a Raman spectrometer on them. Or carry them around. Or look at them. Or do nothing at all, actually, they'll still blow up.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

I'm usually very careful, that's why my personal best (worst?) is so easily reached :P Also, we rarely work with particularly explosive substances. Sure, there's the occasional portion of LAH or NaH, which can ignite in air or react a tad more fiercely on contact with moisture, and has proven this ability a few times, but those were relatively minor incidents, and none of them happened in my arms. Diketene is considered to be fairly dangerous if mishandled, and with quite a low threshold of what qualifies as "mishandling", but by now I've gone through liters of the stuff without as much trouble as a failed reaction. And our lab has had one incident involving diazomethane explosion (which isn't particularly difficult to arrange), with minimal damage.
    Carthāgō dēlenda est

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    My organic chemistry lab during my time at university showed me the power of Hydrazine. The instructions clearly stated: "Do not heat over 70 °C!"

Well, the group next to me didn't quite manage it, I only heard "Oh oh!" followed by slamming shut the fume hood's front and a Boom! when the distillation apparatus and peripheral glass ware disintegrated. That only amounted to 1,000€ in damage, though.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Sigh, I was throwing some paper in a recycling container today when my phone dropped out of the pocket of my vest. Glass down on a screw that happened to lay on top of the metal plate in front of the container. Now I've got a phone with a cracked screen and I was in this agonizing process of making up my mind what kind of plan/phone I wanted to take. I had given myself a couple of months to come to a decision, but I know that there's no chance I will walk around like this for more than a couple of weeks. Also, I had planned to hand this phone down to someone who I know absolutely loves the quality of its camera.
    Congratulations America

Ah, the joy of spending an afternoon at the parents, hooking their tv, dvd, and stereo systems back up after a professional did it and they disassembled it all themselves in their own way.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Spent half of the morning troubleshooting a UI issue in League of Legends. As luck would have it, nobody in the patch bug megathread has this particular issue. Re-patching and repairs didn't help, so I opted to reinstall. At the current pace, I think the download will be done in another three hours. Just hoping all of this effort pays off.

I'm in the process of refinancing my home mortgage. (I tried that a few years ago, but my tax returns weren't in perfect order.) It boggles my mind that loans were given out like candy during the heights of the RE bubble, but I'm having trouble refinancing a high-equity property during the correction.

Two separate people have scheduled meetings with me to discuss my complaints about having too many meetings to get any actual work done. I'm tempted to request a meeting to discuss consolidating the meetings regarding the overabundance of meetings, but I'm worried that they won't realize I'm joking.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Two separate people have scheduled meetings with me to discuss my complaints about having too many meetings to get any actual work done. I'm tempted to request a meeting to discuss consolidating the meetings regarding the overabundance of meetings, but I'm worried that they won't realize I'm joking.
    Who wants to wager that both people intend to convince Wraith how productive and positive meetings can be, using these meetings as prime examples?

why is email so hard for people?
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

It's because there's a subset of managers whose ENTIRE JOB is having meetings.

General effectiveness of getting things decided in a large corporate environment in my experience:

Phonecall
    >
    Small meeting/conference call ( <= 5 participants) with effective/decisive leader/chairperson
    >
    Instant messenger system chat with 2 or more participants
    >
    Small meeting/conference call ( <= 5 participants)
    >
    Large meeting/conference call ( > 5 participants) with effective/decisive leader/chairperson
    >
    Email
    >
    Large meeting/conference call
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Don't normally jump on frothy-mouthed online bandwagon outbursts, but the selfishness shown by the people here really annoyed me.

Really, really annoyed me.

Quote Originally Posted by Independent
    After 170 people safely evacuated from a British Airways jet ablaze on the runway in Las Vegas, pilots lambasted passengers who insisted on carrying cabin baggage as they evacuated the plane.

A fire broke out in the port engine of the 26-year old Boeing 777-200 on the runway at McCarran airport. BA flight 2276 was departing from the Nevada city to Gatwick with 157 passengers and 13 crew on board.

The captain, Chris Henkey from Reading, brought the aircraft to a halt and ordered an evacuation using the aircraft’s inflatable slides.

Still photographs and video footage shows a number of passengers running from the burning plane with their cabin baggage, including wheeled suitcases, in breach of aviation law.

One of the passengers was Sid Langley, a retired journalist from Northamptonshire. He later posted on Facebook that he “did the right thing, grabbed wife and ran,” while “other silly buggers fiddled around” retrieving hand luggage from overhead lockers.

Captain Brendan O’Neal, chairman of the British Airline Pilots’ Association (BALPA), praised the pilots and cabin crew but called on airlines and regulators to educate passengers on the danger of bringing hand baggage with them during an evacuation. He said: “Failing to follow the instructions of the crew by stopping to collect luggage is extremely dangerous.”

Such passengers are also breaking the law. Civil Aviation Authority rules stipulate: “A person must not recklessly or negligently act in a manner likely to endanger an aircraft, or any person in an aircraft.” Passengers must also obey the crew’s commands.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

On a slightly pedantic point the safety video/demonstration is normally shown during take-off which means since this happened when it did, it was likely not shown yet. Some people may not have known what the procedure was and just thought to grab their stuff and go.

Not that it justifies such idiocy. Stuff can be replaced, lives can't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

The whole safety thing has to be finished well before take off. That typically is before the plane gets on the runway (as having a plane that is not just about to take off on the runway is both expensive and dangerous). The instruction to not take your stuff is not in the show or video's but on the card you are instructed to read at the end of the instruction. Can't claim not to have known if you chose to not inform yourself.

What really is messing with my groove is that I just noticed there's a sticker on the coffee machine here stating (in both dutch and english) that the coffee with milk from that machine may contain milk.
    Congratulations America

That's reassuring that the milk is actual milk I suppose
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

It MAY.

Does it specify the animal the milk came from, though?
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    What really is messing with my groove is that I just noticed there's a sticker on the coffee machine here stating (in both dutch and english) that the coffee with milk from that machine may contain milk.
    This is one of the most annoying things about those machines. Not the stickers but the fact that you may get drops of milk in your black coffee it's the worst of all worlds. Fortunately I have been rehabilitated from my coffee-addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    What... the... fuck.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

An overall majority wants direct military involvement in politics. This is where having an educated public would be helpful.

I
    Adrian Frutiger died yesterday.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

I miss having the political compass thread every 4 years or so.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Gosh, I'd forgotten that! I suspect the "political compass" criteria would be very different today, as would the results.

So it turns out my computer's latest reason for just forgetting how to sleep or hibernate was that the wireless keyboard receiver was plugged into a USB port in the front rather than a rear port. I should be happy about this but it's just so fucking irritating esp. because I still haven't managed to solve the mystery of why it occasionally forgets how to wake up from sleep. At the moment I suspect it has to do with some sort of graphics-card related crash.

Apple apps got hacked?!