Page 158 of 189 FirstFirst ... 58108148156157158159160168 ... LastLast
Results 4,711 to 4,740 of 5648

Thread: What's messing with your Groove?

Not sure I'm mentally prepared for Amazon's Prime Now. Used their 10primenow coupon to buy $20 worth of gauze and blank CDs with 2 hour delivery. Never have I made some random stranger rush across town for a more meaningless reason.

But hell, I saved $10!
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    You could always move.
    You probably say that to every citizen who criticizes the US, huh. As in -- "if you don't like how things are working here, just go somewhere else, and quit-yer-bitching".

I saw a bare patch of grass in my lawn today, and after poking around a bit I found a layer of grass clippings (I'd just mowed) and then some fuzzy white stuff. I thought it was a clump of dandelion seed.....but underneath was a bunch of grey fur that moved! Then I saw noses and ears, closed eyelids, and rumps that curled around each other like a big moving clump! I was startled and confused, were these mice or moles or voles, or what? What should I do?

Turns out they were baby bunnies. My neighbors think the mother won't come back, because she'll smell human....and they'll probably die.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    My neighbors think the mother won't come back, because she'll smell human....and they'll probably die.
    That's an old wives tale.

Waiting to board the flight back home. Never have I been so sad to leave a country
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Echovirus View Post
    That's an old wives tale.
    I mowed around the nest yesterday, and to my delight there was still movement under the fluff and stuff! I also saw a bunny (the mother?) bolt from surrounding shrubs, and race across the lawn.

I was probably overly-sentimental about the whole thing because my youngest son was in the process of moving out, and I was becoming an "empty-nester". Damn emotional metaphors.

Most of my time at work right now is spent generating reports and updating various metrics, and I'm pretty sure that nobody ever actually looks at these except to make sure someone on my team has done them. I've been trying to shield the rest of my team from all of this overhead by doing everyone's myself, as this way I don't have to waste time explaining this week's new procedures and reporting requirements to a couple dozen different people every week. The bureaucracy is starting to get to me, but it didn't really sink in how useless and wasteful this work is until yesterday, when due to the memorial day holiday we couldn't do our usual Monday morning sync where the new reporting and metric management requirements are invented. So instead, yesterday morning I just looked over everything in the project, decided I knew how everything was going and that everything was flowing smoothly, and started doing actual engineering work. I managed to get real, useful work done - a fair deal of it, in fact - right up until the e-mail came that was meant as a replacement for that missed Monday morning meeting. I've accomplished nothing of substance since then.

I might be getting close to snapping.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    It could be worse.

https://what.thedailywtf.com/topic/20054/we-are-agile/

Take that for red tape and consider yourself lucky. In combination with this: https://what.thedailywtf.com/topic/15001/enlightened it's pretty much the reason I won't even look at Samsung's offerings anymore.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post

You remind me of that guy who said "take this job and shove it", and the guy who threw his PC out the window and shouted "I can't take this anymore!"....but those guys were from the 20th century. It's probably even harder now, in the 21st century, to deal with the same sentiments.

Rabbit update: apparently all the baby bunnies lived, and are now hopping around my lawn, happily eating the clover in my grass! Clover is considered a weed, so it's gonna mess with my groove to apply a clover/weed killer, but a green lawn of grass is what helps sells a house in today's market.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Most of my time at work right now is spent generating reports and updating various metrics, and I'm pretty sure that nobody ever actually looks at these except to make sure someone on my team has done them. I've been trying to shield the rest of my team from all of this overhead by doing everyone's myself, as this way I don't have to waste time explaining this week's new procedures and reporting requirements to a couple dozen different people every week. The bureaucracy is starting to get to me, but it didn't really sink in how useless and wasteful this work is until yesterday, when due to the memorial day holiday we couldn't do our usual Monday morning sync where the new reporting and metric management requirements are invented. So instead, yesterday morning I just looked over everything in the project, decided I knew how everything was going and that everything was flowing smoothly, and started doing actual engineering work. I managed to get real, useful work done - a fair deal of it, in fact - right up until the e-mail came that was meant as a replacement for that missed Monday morning meeting. I've accomplished nothing of substance since then.

You have reporting and metric requirements which change weekly?

How can anything reported be tracked and analysed, if the reports and metrics themselves are constantly changed?

It's like a descent into some paradoxical neverending circle of gnyaaargh.

but he can't tell his superiorities they're fucked up.....if he wants to keep his job. Can he?

I hate the "my pillow" tv campaign. I want to strangle the inventor with his fucking crucifix necklace. I hate him and his damn pillow, and his damn jingle song that's like an earworm.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    You have reporting and metric requirements which change weekly?

How can anything reported be tracked and analysed, if the reports and metrics themselves are constantly changed?

It's like a descent into some paradoxical neverending circle of gnyaaargh.
    Sounds very frustrating indeed. We also have massive bureaucracy - but it's actually there for a reason and does not change weekly. Only downside is I just inherited a part where all the paperwork appears to be incomplete or sometimes even missing which is now my responsibility, and it could be audited in september. On the bright side, since the process is not in order now I've got almost cartr blanche to fix it (as long as it's within the iso standards). So i can at least make it work in a way i like it
    Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    but he can't tell his superiorities they're fucked up.....if he wants to keep his job. Can he?
    Technically a lot of jobs require you to speak up in cases like this, after all if it's changing every week is useless and as he notes his time van be spent way more useful so it's costing the company money , unfortunately in practice that doesn't always work like that.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

I just blew two hours of my time. As I was leaving work today, I heard an alarm in a room I rarely use; as alarms tend to be potentially very expensive problems in the making, I went to check it out. Turns out our -80 freezers were in a room that was very warm (say 30-35) and all of them had hot condenser alarms going - bad news for the very delicate samples we have gathered at great expense. So I spent the next few hours getting maintenance to figure out the problem and fix it instead of making it home for the kid's bedtime. Turns out an air chiller just wasn't turned on so our HVAC system was blowing warm air into a room that already heats up from all of the equipment in it.

About half of the very large grants that we get all goes to pay for 'overhead' at this institution, which is supposed to pay for things like functioning HVAC systems and keeping the lights on and garbages empty. I really don't need this level of incompetence in my life.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

First time working late in the lab because the fucking dishwasher broke, with the stirring bars I needed inside it (and all the ones outside the dishwasher would require a day of soaking in solvents so not really an option). And since I was by that time alone in the lab, I figured it'd be safer to use the fall alarm (a clip you wear that alerts security if you fall) as I was working with chloroform and hexafluoisopropanol which are not the nicest chemicals. Turns out the thing doesn't work, when testing it beeped and buzzed like crazy but no alarm went off at the security. In the end agreed to call every half hour to say I'm okay.

Our HVAC system is also causing trouble, it's better now but last week we had ~70% humidity which is great when you're working in cleanroom gear... Plus i had to write a series of nonconformities because it exceeded our alert limits.

This is why I do political science: never had a problem with equipment.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Are you even following what's going on with your election over there, and with US politics generally?

You have a constant problem with your equipment. Your equipment is absolutely fucked.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

If anything, this will increase interest in politics and encourage politicians to send more children to college (i.e. one of the main predictors of who won't support Trump). We're in demand when shit hits the fan.

Another football tournament, another chance for fat english cavemen to piss all over someone else's town.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    I just blew two hours of my time. As I was leaving work today, I heard an alarm in a room I rarely use; as alarms tend to be potentially very expensive problems in the making, I went to check it out. Turns out our -80 freezers were in a room that was very warm (say 30-35) and all of them had hot condenser alarms going - bad news for the very delicate samples we have gathered at great expense.
    <snip>

Now I know why one of my son's friends just might leave college.....because he's created a computer application that coordinates and maintains room/refrigerator/freezer temps without a lot of redundancies, or too-late-alarms. The first interested investors were from the grocery industry, but apparently it's even more valuable to the biotech industry!

The monitoring we use for temperature (and humidity) is actually also used in the grocery industry, so there's definitely an overlap. Though he might need more certification/tracebility for that, but definitely is something he could look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    The monitoring we use for temperature (and humidity) is actually also used in the grocery industry, so there's definitely an overlap. Though he might need more certification/tracebility for that, but definitely is something he could look at.
    I don't claim to understand the technology ..... just saying that his 'invention' has landed him in a Silicon Valley 'incubator' prior to his university junior year, and stands to make him a multi-millionaire. The only reason this was posted in the messed-up groove thread (instead of the happy groove thread) is because it's a reply to wiggin's messed-up day.

Yes, the baby bunnies lived. Echovirus was right about that erroneous wive's tale! But now I'm mowing around those baby bunnies' offspring! Their exceedingly short reproductive cycle just may exceed my "humanitarian" side.

The baby bunnies aren't just eating flower buds....they're reproducing faster than weeds!

Crossing threads, it feels crazy to congratulate Ominous on his new Florida home. My homeowner's insurance company tells me my premiums are calculated locally, but I don't believe that. I know full well that a portion of my premium goes toward paying his future hurricane damage claims.

How do you know this and how large is that portion?

Carrying stuff to the pool so put my phone in the pocket of my swim trunks. Proceeded to get into the pool. Five minutes later I realized how stupid I was. Phone won't turn on, doubt it will. Worst part is that I never backed up FFRK. /cry

Have you tried the rice method? I've seen it work a few times. Five minutes in water might be pushing it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Have you tried the rice method? I've seen it work a few times. Five minutes in water might be pushing it though.
    Wife said the same thing, trying it now. We'll see what it looks like tomorrow, honestly not holding out much hope though.