Page 160 of 189 FirstFirst ... 60110150158159160161162170 ... LastLast
Results 4,771 to 4,800 of 5648

Thread: What's messing with your Groove?

Lived about 5.5 years. Can't have a burial where I live so will call the vets when they open to ask if they can arrange something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

You can't bury Denny Crane in your own backyard?

My son is planning to attend the DNC convention in Philly as a protestor/agitator. He might be arrested. I just hope he doesn't get shot or killed! I'm quite worried......

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    You can't bury Denny Crane in your own backyard?
    Live in a flat, no backyard.

Hope your son is OK. So long as its a peaceful protest he should be ...
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Vets all have a cremation service on hand. If you don't want the remains back it's usually pretty cheap. Cut a lock of hair and say your goodbyes.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

It's done. Don't want to keep any remains, I understand those who do but personally find it creepy. Memories and photos will do. I think Chloe (now 2 and 4 months nearly) figured something was up this morning, she's perceptive to feelings anyway so could pick up that Amanda and I had been crying, but then I'd hidden the cage in the night so she didn't see the body and after I'd come back from the vet as she was walking around the flat calling his name out looking for him ...

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Live in a flat, no backyard.

Hope your son is OK. So long as its a peaceful protest he should be ...
    LOL. He was fine. In fact, he was rather pissed off that "the hippies" who weren't wearing shoes expected to be taken seriously. Kinda like the Occupy Wall Street protesters that didn't organize expected it would turn into a political movement. For the most part he was frustrated, and disappointed.

I was just glad he didn't end up in the middle of a riot. Moms worry about that....

Had joint pains for a year now in my ribs / back, and seems it is getting progressively worse, also transferring to the front of my shoulder now. It's bad enough not being able to exercise properly, but having resting pain is quite intolerable.
    Tomorrow is like an empty canvas that extends endlessly, what should I sketch on it?

Some friends are discussing of moving en masse to a cheaper neighborhood where it is possible to purchase a house for a less-than-extortionate amount of money. So far, so good - spending $600k instead of $1.2 million+ for a house is a big plus, and still being close to friends is always nice. But when I go to look at the houses, the entire neighborhood is filled with these god-awful New England houses clad in siding. Maybe it's just my Chicago upbringing, but I think that siding is possibly the most hideous choice for a home and makes them look unbearably cheap. What's wrong with brick or stone? It costs, at most, a few more thousand dollars to construct and looks infinitely better. Grr. I might bite the bullet and deal with it, but someone in New England needed to be smacked in the side of their head when they thought that the 'Cape Cod' look was worth replicating.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

How much would it be to give one of those houses a face-lift? I did something like what you are talking about ; move to an area where prices are 1/4th of those of the area where I lived. I mostly like living here.

The old place is basically paying for the purchase of the new place.
    Congratulations America

I had to look up what kind of houses you were talking about. Jesus, why do Americans have to mess up, like, everything? I like wooden houses, they make me feel happy, but seriously wtf is up with that stuff.

Anyway, it can often (not always) be relatively "easily" replaced with something less horrible like brick veneer or thin bricks depending on how the house is built. Have someone take a look to see if it's doable, if it's permitted by local building codes and give you a quote. With all the money you'll be saving it may be worth it and of course the whole sect thing.
    Last edited by Aimless; 08-17-2016 at 11:16 PM.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    How much would it be to give one of those houses a face-lift? I did something like what you are talking about ; move to an area where prices are 1/4th of those of the area where I lived. I mostly like living here.

The old place is basically paying for the purchase of the new place.
    The issue isn't really the house we'd buy - I'm sure we'd do all sorts of things to it over time, likely including the exterior (though it would take some time; a lot of our capital would be tied up in the down payment and tax-protected accounts). It's more that the entire neighborhood looks, well, cheap. This is hardly a new issue for me - most houses in the area look like this. I've just gotten used to my neighborhood where you either have concrete/brick/stone apartment towers or very expensive single family homes, many of which have undergone their own 'facelifts' in recent decades. Short of changing the entire neighborhood it's hard to imagine a way to make the place look less than, well, hideous. I'm told parts of Brooklyn also have this issue.

Of course if our plan works out we'll be part of a wave of yuppy refugees who will displace all of the middle/working class families over the course of a decade. So maybe we would be able to change the character of the place. It's hardly the first neighborhood to go this way in Boston, housing pressures being what they are.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

It looks cheap but then it is cheap. This isn't a case of looks being deceiving. The question you have to ask is how much do looks bother you.

It looks cheap but then it is cheap. This isn't a case of looks being deceiving. The question you have to ask is how much do looks bother you.
    Yes and no. So vinyl siding is cheaper than most other siding options, but clapboard or various other wooden siding options are actually not that cheap but I still think they look awful. I think it's a legacy of growing up in a city that just doesn't use a lot of siding. *shrugs* I guess it's the cost of doing business if I want to live in New England.

Having network issues

At my previous place I had my wifi router, and a wired connection to both my network drive and my raspberry pi media center, and my phone laptop etc connected on the wifi. When I moved here I figured just plugging it in should work as it used to. My phone and laptop connect to the Internet just fine through the wifi. I can't see my network drive anymore though. I can see my media center, but can't manage to connect to it using any app. The media center can't manage to connect to the Internet, but weirdly it can connect and play media from my network drive, which is invisible from my phone and laptop. Tried resetting my router, but it hasn't changed anything. Anyone got an idea about how to fix it?
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Having network issues

At my previous place I had my wifi router, and a wired connection to both my network drive and my raspberry pi media center, and my phone laptop etc connected on the wifi. When I moved here I figured just plugging it in should work as it used to. My phone and laptop connect to the Internet just fine through the wifi. I can't see my network drive anymore though. I can see my media center, but can't manage to connect to it using any app. The media center can't manage to connect to the Internet, but weirdly it can connect and play media from my network drive, which is invisible from my phone and laptop. Tried resetting my router, but it hasn't changed anything. Anyone got an idea about how to fix it?
    Good luck with that, since I moved I have not been able to make my network disk communicate with my router, neither with or without a cable. I've basically given up on it.
    Congratulations America

Fuck! I mean a reset of the hard disk might work but i don't want to lose my data..
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Fuck! I mean a reset of the hard disk might work but i don't want to lose my data..
    Ditto
    Congratulations America

Today I tried to buy a pair of running shoes. I had a fairly good idea of what I wanted. After going from store to store for about 3 hours I gave up and ordered them online. I really wonder how these high streets think they can survive.
    Congratulations America

Microsoft has blocked www.storeparser.com from collecting and advertising deals. The only site that properly and cleaning organized xbox deals, yet microsoft shut it down. idiots.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Japanese knotweed discovered on our property
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Ooh that's a bugger.

We had that in our garden though I didn't know what it was called until about two minutes ago when I saw your post and Googled it then recognised it. Weed killer and manually removing it didn't seem to do the job. Ours was weird as it was a new build property without any grass in the back garden that the knotweed had subsequently taken root in. In the end I pumped a ton of weedkiller into the garden and then dug up the entire area. The roots for the knotweed went very deep and were very widespread.

Good luck treating it.

Ooh that's a bugger.

We had that in our garden though I didn't know what it was called until about two minutes ago when I saw your post and Googled it then recognised it. Weed killer and manually removing it didn't seem to do the job. Ours was weird as it was a new build property without any grass in the back garden that the knotweed had subsequently taken root in. In the end I pumped a ton of weedkiller into the garden and then dug up the entire area. The roots for the knotweed went very deep and were very widespread.

Good luck treating it.
    Nice metaphor for the downsides of globalization....or how "unintended consequences" can turn into a domestic nightmare.

In the US, road medians were planted with Crown Vetch, because it didn't need water irrigation, and didn't need to be mowed like grass, but it had pretty purple flowers! But it turned out to be invasive (like dandelions), and found its way into private gardens, and it's really hard to kill. Just like bamboo or kudzo.

Turns out humans aren't very good weeders.

Indeed.

It was the Victorians here who had a fad for exotic flora, and imported species from around the world to these shores, with no idea of the consequences.

Japanese knotweed was brought in primarily to line the edges of railways, due to its fast-growing nature, and the fact that it looks quite pretty, with red stems and heart-shaped leaves.

Unbeknownst to them - but certainly knownst to us now - it is an incredibly strong plant, roots very deeply, splits and damages concrete, brickwork, foundations and infrastructure, and is notoriously hardy and difficult to kill. This is because it grew in volcanic regions in Japan, so has evolved to survive extreme heat and toxic conditions.

In the UK it has a savage reputation, with a lot of media hype about houses being overrun and property prices being cut in half if discovered.

To the point where nowadays, existence or knowledge of Japanese knotweed on a property is a specific tick-box on contractual conveyancing forms when selling a property, and the seller is legally obliged to state if the plant exists or has existed on the property being sold.

~

In our situation, it was a friend of ours who is studying part time as a landscape architect who first pointed out that we had it; a few fresh shoots at the back of our garden besides the garage. On the other side of the garage, and out the back of our property line, it was a more mature plant with stems taller than I.

We've gone down the professional route, and hired one of the numerous companies here dedicated to the eradication of the knotweed. On their inspection, it seems that a single root system had grown under the entire concrete foundation of our garage. Two options, but only one of them realistic; ongoing treatment with weedkiller, or excavate and dig out the entire root, which would mean an entire dismantling of our garage and a digging out and removal of the foundation at an estimated cost of £10k-£20k.

So we've gone with ongoing weedkiller treatment, at a more reasonable but still expensive £2.7k. This involves treatment periodically over 3 years, which is enough to kill it. The company then monitor the situation for a further 2 years for any recurrence. There is a 10 year guarantee of the eradication covered with a £5m insurance policy.
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 09-21-2016 at 06:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Between the Federal Reserve and Wall Street....I'm struck by ordinary citizens efforts to try to make or stretch a buck. No wonder "populism" is considered a threat these days.

I heard this on public radio. Senior citizens living in their car. Showering at the Y. Using "safe parking" from charitable groups in wealthy California suburbs.

It messes with my groove that "the best country in the world" can't coordinate things, and people are "buying" education based on zip code, and sick or elderly folks are trying to find care, and veterans can't find what they need, and congress is doing nothing. They can't even update authorization for use of military force.

It's messed up that everything has become political, when our political process has become a joke.

To Tim, it's a blistering attempt to kill certain species. It can't be done alone. But I wouldn't trust the insurance agencies either. I don't know whom to trust. That's the problem.....

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Indeed.

It was the Victorians here who had a fad for exotic flora, and imported species from around the world to these shores, with no idea of the consequences.

Japanese knotweed was brought in primarily to line the edges of railways, due to its fast-growing nature, and the fact that it looks quite pretty, with red stems and heart-shaped leaves.

Unbeknownst to them - but certainly knownst to us now - it is an incredibly strong plant, roots very deeply, splits and damages concrete, brickwork, foundations and infrastructure, and is notoriously hardy and difficult to kill. This is because it grew in volcanic regions in Japan, so has evolved to survive extreme heat and toxic conditions.

In the UK it has a savage reputation, with a lot of media hype about houses being overrun and property prices being cut in half if discovered.

To the point where nowadays, existence or knowledge of Japanese knotweed on a property is a specific tick-box on contractual conveyancing forms when selling a property, and the seller is legally obliged to state if the plant exists or has existed on the property being sold.

~

In our situation, it was a friend of ours who is studying part time as a landscape architect who first pointed out that we had it; a few fresh shoots at the back of our garden besides the garage. On the other side of the garage, and out the back of our property line, it was a more mature plant with stems taller than I.

We've gone down the professional route, and hired one of the numerous companies here dedicated to the eradication of the knotweed. On their inspection, it seems that a single root system had grown under the entire concrete foundation of our garage. Two options, but only one of them realistic; ongoing treatment with weedkiller, or excavate and dig out the entire root, which would mean an entire dismantling of our garage and a digging out and removal of the foundation at an estimated cost of £10k-£20k.

So we've gone with ongoing weedkiller treatment, at a more reasonable but still expensive £2.7k. This involves treatment periodically over 3 years, which is enough to kill it. The company then monitor the situation for a further 2 years for any recurrence. There is a 10 year guarantee of the eradication covered with a £5m insurance policy.
    Vigorously cutting all outgrowth over a longer period also kills it off I heard.
    Congratulations America

I've mostly come to enjoy living in a smallish town but there are some things about this town that just make me furious sometimes, and almost all of them have to do with the local movie theatre. We've been looking forward to seeing Kubo and the Two Strings for ages now, but first they delayed the release here and now they've decided to only show it in Swedish. Only in 3d. Only around mid-day. It's fucking september 2016! What 12-y-o or movie-interested adult do they believe will go see a dubbed (ie. ruined) movie in the middle of the fucking day on a school-day??!! God damned morons
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Have spent the evening treating everyone in the house for head lice. Just treated wife for the second time - she was still infested with live lice after the first attempt.
    There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame

Spilt a coffee on my router and it has died taking my entire network down and no Internet. Been able to switch to an old router to get our internal network backup but no Internet until the new router arrives so on basic offline functionality. We pay extra for 24 hour service 365 days on our broadband but that doesn't apply to the router it seems so will be without one until Friday as we are past the close of business for Wednesday already.

Not going to tell anyone it was a coffee spill the killed the router.