Page 161 of 189 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161162163171 ... LastLast
Results 4,801 to 4,830 of 5648

Thread: What's messing with your Groove?

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Not going to tell anyone it was a coffee spill the killed the router.

'Fess up

I'm quite surprised that similar hasn't happened to me more often. I always have coffees on my desk whether at home or work.

Just once in all the years have I spilled coffee, all over my home keyboard. Immediate power down, ran the keyboard under the shower, allowed to dry thoroughly, good as new.

A router has rather more powered components to short under spillage I'd imagine. Unlucky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

The truth is, things have gotten pretty messed up since I decided to embrace 21st century technology. I finally got an android phone, and it seemed wonderful to sync contacts and phone numbers using wifi.....but it sucked when a storm knocked out power for several hours. I ended up driving to a donut shop (after disabling my overhead garage door) just to see wtf was going on.

That's not how I envisioned being "connected", and my smart phone makes me feel stupid when I can't connect to wifi networks. I pay for this?

Also, Comcast has decided to "update" email formats, and I've spent the last two days trying to figure it out, while getting "error" messages every time I try to use the delete/trash icon. I pay for this too, and I'm not happy about it.

Atari may cost me $55. Sony has reached a settlement for removing the OtherOS option from the PS3, but to claim it you have to show proof of purchase from almost a decade ago and proof of the OtherOS in use or talking about using it. If I had talked about it, it would have been on the old atari forums :\
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

hey, I remember the old Atari forums! So much shit was posted, it couldn't possibly used in court proceedings, could it?

Found a small mistake in the data being used for next week's conference. 3 hours to fix. Who needs sleep.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Found a small mistake in the data being used for next week's conference. 3 hours to fix. Who needs sleep.
    You can sleep when you're dead.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

A lack of one might contribute to the other.

Absolutely disgusting.

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Some desperate/crazy person has sent a message to an internal mailing list in the company where I work. On the list are a good 25 thousand people and a bunch of external clients probably also numbering in the thousands. He sent this message because his house will be auctioned on the request of his bank next week right after office hours yesterday. Appearantly this morning a percentage of the recipients decided to reply, and not just reply but 'reply to all'. Effectively, we have not had a working e-mail for the last 4 hours and the intranet/internet connection is slower than shit in a narrow pipe.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Some desperate/crazy person has sent a message to an internal mailing list in the company where I work. On the list are a good 25 thousand people and a bunch of external clients probably also numbering in the thousands. He sent this message because his house will be auctioned on the request of his bank next week right after office hours yesterday. Appearantly this morning a percentage of the recipients decided to reply, and not just reply but 'reply to all'. Effectively, we have not had a working e-mail for the last 4 hours and the intranet/internet connection is slower than shit in a narrow pipe.
    Ugh the people who hit reply-all to e-mails make me cringe. Why. Why would you do this. The guy who started the mess is a fool but each and every one of the other individuals who hit reply to all are also culpable. And let me guess.... at some point someone did a reply-to-all asking people to stop using reply-to-all.

I approve wholeheartedly of his revenge on the System. Don't get me wrong, I sympathize with those affected, but I think it was an excellent form of revenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Who exactly thought it to be a good idea to create such a mailing list and leave it open for everyone? The problems with such lists have been known (and experienced!) for DECADES now.

https://rodneymbliss.com/2013/10/17/i-survived-bedlam3/

That's a report from 1997. Yes, before the turn of the millenium.

Also, no one has obviously ever heard of BCC.

Yeh my first thought was BCC.

Working for the organisation that I do with staff numbering well over a quarter of a million and with a global reach in ~80 countries, such things are carefully managed. Any large internal mailouts are always BCC.

~

In related news yesterday;

Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    NHS send-to-all email causes turmoil

An email that was accidentally sent to all the NHS's staff in England has caused havoc.

One of the health system's employees fired off the message on Monday morning without realising they had copied in 840,000 of their co-workers.

The action quickly clogged up the system and was exacerbated by users hitting "reply all" to complain.

The distribution list was disabled at 10:00 GMT, but some users continue to have problems.

The secure email system is used by NHS staff and other approved organisations to discuss healthcare and related activities.

"It's driving me bananas," one doctor - who asked not to be identified - told the BBC.

"The thing is hundreds of people have been replying to all.

"My NHS email is very important to me because it's the only secure way I can send and receive anything safely about my patients.

"So, this is a major problem [and] potentially a risk to patients."

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

The same idiocy once landed an employee at my former university in a lot of hot water. Because she was sending out an info-email to all recipients of governmental grants.

And she didn't use BCC.

Which meant that anyone on that list now knew the full names and email addresses of everyone receiving such grants. It's also considered privileged information and subject to harsh data protection laws.

Being in a plane during a landing in a storm is no fun.
    Congratulations America

It beats not landing.

It beats not landing.
    I'm afraid not landing never is a serious option; it's in the manner of the landing.
    Congratulations America

Tell that to Bermuda.

Turns out that Thanksgiving will be a bust. No way to get all the *factions* together, despite best planning attempts. It's just too hard to coordinate flying/driving in such a short time frame, especially since the younger family members are working over the holiday....in restaurants that cater to families and businesses that don't realize how their meal is disruptive to their own workers.

My culinary son and his co-workers take this in stride -- they want to put out a great meal for people who don't want or can't do it for themselves. They want to create a holiday meal experience. They're willing to work for barely above minimum wage, 50-60 hours a week, and forego their own family meal (the kitchen staff will eat a frozen Stauffer's Lasagna) so other families can have a great Thanksgiving meal without any 'stress'.

I think it's circular, the snake swallowing its own tail, and I don't like it.

https://twitter.com/carljackmiller/s...09457797844992

This is what the post-2016 media looks like.

Appearing on one of the Flynns' social-media accounts in... three... two...

Isn't it good to know these people are getting paid less than Russian trolls?

Sorry to say this, but I don't get much joy from visiting my family. It's actually a pain in the ass to sleep on an aero mattress in the den, or a twin bed mashed against the wall....and it's also a pain to explain staying in a hotel when that's considered an affront to the host. There's just no winning, no way.

Ordered some steel tubing, supplier thought it was a grand idea to ship it in a 20 foot wooden crate that I had to subsequently saw into small pieces to be able to trash it. Took me more time than to order the tubes
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

I once had a granite countertop arrive that was completely encased in this ridiculous wooden crate. Took me ages to take it apart without damaging the granite. I feel your pain.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Well on the bright side it did just foot through the entrance to begin with (of course no way to actually get it on our floor, not to mention store anywhere).

on the bright side all certificates were included, that's not always the case

Also, having passed our audit of this year we got the focus points for the next one. My area of responsibilities is one. While I've definitely made major improvements there is still a lot to do, on the bright side I've got 11 months!
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Separating fact from fiction, polls and surveys from scientific research data. It's a complicated mess that's ripe for exploitation. I've been a participant in (human) trials for Eli Lilly, as most students at Indiana University were, because the Lilly foundation was one of the biggest benefactors for the IU medical school and nursing school. We agreed to "test" products on ourselves, because it meant we could pay our tuition.

I used to think this way of paying for education had ended, but I was wrong.

BreakingNews.com and its Twitter feed are shutting down at the end of the month. I didn't even realize I've been using them for almost 8 years. Anyone know of a good news aggregator for a replacement?

Just follow NY Times, Washington Post, and the Guardian.

Just follow NY Times, Washington Post, and the Guardian.
    Those aren't reliable news sources, they're part of the "Lame Stream Media", dontyaknow.