Page 162 of 189 FirstFirst ... 62112152160161162163164172 ... LastLast
Results 4,831 to 4,860 of 5648

Thread: What's messing with your Groove?

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Just follow NY Times, Washington Post, and the Guardian.
    I already follow them. I'm looking more for live news rather than individual newspapers trying to push their articles. BN has been great because it pulls from local media and national media alike, which often has included streams in the case of local news. If I can't find another aggregator, I'll just have to add more local media into my lists.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Those aren't reliable news sources, they're part of the "Lame Stream Media", dontyaknow.
    This has nothing to do with the MSM. Breaking News is owned by NBC News. It's only shutting down because they've had problems from the get-go with monetizing the service.

Sorry, I don't know what you mean. Breaking news isn't "owned" by any news agency.

Sorry, I don't know what you mean. Breaking news isn't "owned" by any news agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Echovirus View Post
    BreakingNews.com and its Twitter feed are shutting down
    I was referencing a very specific site and its Twitter account.

Oh! Well, if you've been using one Twitter feed to get your news, maybe it's not such a bad thing when they get shut down?

edit, I clicked on your links. I can see why you're confused about the links between News and social media. Getting real news, and real facts is easier than ever...but it comes with fake news and massaged facts.
    Last edited by GGT; 12-17-2016 at 03:25 AM.

And if you would actually click a link for once and read what someone is talking about before you start spouting off, you would see that this is a news aggregator.

Breaking News may be owned by NBC News, but these guys are run independently with their own team of 10 editors and pull headlines and link back to AP, NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, Reuters, The Guardian, NY Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, CNBC, Bloomberg, BBC, SBS, Yonhap News, local news, journalists' personal accounts etc etc.

For example, right now I can follow along with what my friends in Seoul have been talking about with their president's scandal and impeachment by going to this page. I get the gist of things with the headlines and then I have the various sourced articles that I can follow for more in-depth information.

edit, I clicked on your links. I can see why you're confused about the links between News and social media. Getting real news, and real facts is easier than ever...but it comes with fake news and massaged facts.
    What confusion? I'm not confused about a thing. I'm pissed that I'm losing my one-stop source of unbiased news that wasn't full of Buzzfeed and TMZ levels of clickbait idiocy that is 3/4 of 'news' these days, especially by the likes of every 24 hour news channel in the US aside from BBC World News. So now, I'm stuck looking for a replacement that would potentially give me the same or close to the same function and quality that I've gotten from this service for nearly 8 years. And who said anything about fake news or fudged facts?
    Last edited by Echovirus; 12-17-2016 at 03:47 AM.

What's your point? I'm sorry if the one source you use for aggregate news is dismantling, but I can't say it's surprising. You can link to all sorts of legitimate news agencies.....but the sad truth is that they have lost the trust and confidence usually afforded to the press, because they've been proven wrong more often than not. We've spent the last two decades trying to explain the difference between news journalists and entertainers. The circus barker won.

Someone straight up stole my stethoscope. God damn it.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Echovirus View Post
    I already follow them. I'm looking more for live news rather than individual newspapers trying to push their articles. BN has been great because it pulls from local media and national media alike, which often has included streams in the case of local news. If I can't find another aggregator, I'll just have to add more local media into my lists.
    Fair enough. Those three sources do pretty much cover any national/international story of importance between them. Not sure what a solution for local news would be (other than what you mentioned).

OG, do you have anything?
    Hope is the denial of reality

Not really. I still use old school stuff like slashdot and digg. But a lot of my stuff comes from reddit. Echo could spend a considerable amount of time finding and subscribing to some of the nondefault subreddits, but thats hit and miss and the lack of editors will be glaring.

I have such a ridiculous amount of time to surf the net at work that I haven't had to set up an aggregator, I'll stumble into noteworthy news eventually.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 12-20-2016 at 05:51 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

http://circa.com/

Not 100% identical but might be worth checking out

Thanks guys. I'll try adding to my multi-reddits. And Circa looks interesting, I'll give it a check.

Already posted in IRC, but so others can see it too, here's an aggregator I kinda like: http://www.allsides.com

I was posting in the Happy thread when I received a "notice" that my post was being pre-empted, and I had to log out and sign in again. I'm sure it was just a glitch....but I was in the middle of writing a sweet, romantic observation about my son and his girlfriend falling asleep by the fire, so that messes with my "groove".

It also 'messes with my groove' that Chaloobi is posting about movies and TV, but has for the most part stopped posting in the more important geopolitical or ethical threads. I've always thought he had a good perspective, and I missed him during his absence. He started the "When You Die" thread, that turned out to be a meta-thread.

Dead kitten, or Sylvester as he also was known for the one day he was with us.
    Congratulations America

Spilled a decent amount of chemicals at work, in a very sticky solution which was hell to clean up (imagine hobby glue except it's also toxic and corrosive). And because of delayed production I have to work (only an hour or so but still) this Saturday. Ugh.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Scratchy throat... often times sign of a pending cold for me and I REALLY don't want to get sick this weekend. :\

Drinking OJ seems to work more often than not (too late if your symptoms started showing).

Drinking OJ seems to work more often than not (too late if your symptoms started showing).
    Source? I call bullshit.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

I believe his goal was to make Lewk suffer more.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Source? I call bullshit.
    http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/co...or-common-cold

It reduces cold duration by 8-14%.

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/co...or-common-cold

It reduces cold duration by 8-14%.
    One unreplicated study of unknown quality shows that prophylactic (rather than therapeutic) ascorbic acid has an effect on the duration of colds that can best be described as clinically insignificant, while a bunch of others show there's little benefit at all.

And that was 200 mg; most people take doses far in excess of that, which just means they have expensive pee. For most people eating balanced diets, they get more than enough ascorbic acid in their normal dietary intake. Vitamin nuts are, well, nuts, and the crazy Vitamin C stuff is, well, crazy.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Eh, considering that it's almost costless (I assume most sane people like OJ anyway) and there are no other options available, why not?

Eh, considering that it's almost costless (I assume most sane people like OJ anyway) and there are no other options available, why not?
    OJ is like $7 a gallon and it's full of sugar. 'Costless' my ass.

I don't begrudge people their fantasies, I just feel it's important to point out when a widely-perceived benefit from a given behavior is rather unlikely to be substantial.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    OJ is like $7 a gallon and it's full of sugar. 'Costless' my ass.

I don't begrudge people their fantasies, I just feel it's important to point out when a widely-perceived benefit from a given behavior is rather unlikely to be substantial.
    A) $6 in the real America.
    B) Sugar = good in the real America.

Has anyone heard from Hazir since this happened?
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

That was my reason for posting it.
    Last edited by Loki; 01-02-2017 at 05:01 PM.

No Turkish-Dutch victim identified yet but yes that is a scary thought

I don't hang out at Reina, but some of my guests at the party I hosted at home are regulars there. So the news hit like a bombshell. Most shocking was that we so totally expected something like this.

What really freaked me out was the selfie of the perp checking out the fair grounds in Taksim square.
    Congratulations America