Page 166 of 189 FirstFirst ... 66116156164165166167168176 ... LastLast
Results 4,951 to 4,980 of 5648

Thread: What's messing with your Groove?

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Florida is under a state of emergency and local emergency activations have begun. I've been told to prep for 12 hour shifts starting Thursday.

The stores are out of water, snacks, and canned food. Its only Tuesday.
    local schools are closed thursday and friday, a decision for monday will come later. the library system wants to be closed sat-mon, but that decision will depend on what the county decides in a couple of hours.

Models are predicting a rather radical turn just off the coast, a delay in that turn of a few dozen miles could really fuck us over.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Where are you getting ash from?
    Washington, Oregon, and Canada are all on fire at the moment. I'm not sure which fire specifically the ash and smoke is coming from - there are a lot to choose from.

edit: This article implies it's from a combination of multiple fires that managed to gather here.

I'm now in the path of the eye of Irma. This will be the strongest hurricane I've ever ridden out.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Good luck man. May the poo keep you distracted keep us posted.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I'm now in the path of the eye of Irma. This will be the strongest hurricane I've ever ridden out.
    I understand it has been downgraded a bit, hope that is indeed the case as it makes landfall. I understood that in the carribean a ton of rain also fell out of it.
    Congratulations America

The track has managed to get worse. Looking at finally seeing downtown Tampa under a lot of water. To late to leave but I'm not in a flood zone and I'm buffered by larger houses.

I plan to setup a few streaming laptops later so everyone can watch it roll in.

Hope you weather Irma, OG (pun intended). Stay safe!

Its heading right towards to where I used to live. Which is the worst case scenario the EOC spent years training me for. Downtown is suspected to get so utterly ruined that our power company is shutting off all power to the area by this afternoon, which will take a lot of local government pages offline. I'm expecting 100+mph winds where I am, but thats still block party category so I'm not overly concerned for my safety at this point.

The aftermath is whats going to be a concern. I could be looking at weeks before I return to a regular 9-6 library job. Its landing overnight so there is no point in streaming it and no one is going to be able to sleep through it.

Inshallah all will be ok Minous.

BBC is saying 6.3m people have been told to leave their homes to get out of the path. Too late to get going now for those who didn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

the library website is offline, downtown is in the dark.

Our EOC has announced they are on the verge of cutting off emergency response and if you haven't left its to late now. Hurricane force winds within 8 hours.

Looks like the Georgians here are getting hit by either a category 1 or a tropical storm. Everything closed Monday and Tuesday.
    Hope is the denial of reality

And the power is out. Tried to come on twice but it couldn't manage. I'll hit the breaker in a bit

No generators?

Nope, not at home. A couple days worth of usb batteries, dry food and water. A generator IMO doesn't do much good in Florida. It might save some food if you didn't prep right but AC is the most important thing and generators cant keep those running. If we go days or weeks without power we will live out of the libraries till life is back to normal.

The pressure changes are giving me a headache and playing hell with my ears, but no one else in the house is complaining.

Well, the electric companies claim they're prepared, so hopefully they can get to you guys quickly. Though quickly probably means Wednesday at the earliest.

The pressure changes are giving me a headache and playing hell with my ears, but no one else in the house is complaining.
    That's just the Cuban sonic weapon, they only target those who know too much. Glad you guys are doing okay despite lack of electricity.

We got power back a little after my last update. The most annoying part of this thing so far is the constant barrage of out of state friends and family trying to reach us to see how we are doing or bitching about us not leaving.

the library website is offline, downtown is in the dark.

Our EOC has announced they are on the verge of cutting off emergency response and if you haven't left its to late now. Hurricane force winds within 8 hours.
    You guys are hosting your own server for the library website?

county hosts most of their own stuff. The IT guy who is charge of that stuff actually came from library IT and most of the servers are named after characters from the lord of the rings.

I used to be responsible for making changes to several of the public library sites and the staff site. When such access was granted to me it was seen as an extra drive letter under My Computer.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 09-10-2017 at 08:44 PM.

Just to cheer you guys up; 14 days ago there was a lot of rain in Istanbul. When it rains a lot, the inhabitants of my house become nervous. This is because we have a main electricity cable under the ground of about 30 meters with a rotten mantle. This cable belongs to the government owned electricity company in Istanbul. The cable shorts with a certain regularity, and then we lose power. What happens then is kafka-esque; despite the fact that there is zero doubt possible what the cause of the problem is, we are told to get in an electrician to establish we have no power. The fact that we don't have power is no definete proof of that. We may after all have done something in the house to cause the loss of power that was totally unrelated to water seeping through that rotten mantle. Even though it was raining cats and dogs as the power went out.

Then once the electrician has declared officially that, indeed, we don't have power, we may call again telling the electrity people that we don't have power. After which they will send out a crew that digs out the offending piece of cable and replaces it with a shortish length of new cable. After we get power again.(one time 380V rather than the expected 230V but that's a different fun story).

Under normal circumstances this takes us anywhere between 1 and 4 days. The very moment our power went out though was the beginning of a surprise extended national holiday in Turkey. Surprise because the government rather abruptly had extended a 3 day holiday into one tempting everybody and his dog (well not his dog, that's another not so funny story) to go on a 10 day vacation. To not overextend your attention spans; no electrician was to be found for over a week to confirm that we didn't have electricity.

But lo and behold, yesterday afternoon we actually lured one to our house and not to our complete surprise he established that we were indeed not being supplied with power. Tomorrow we may actually get power. Or then again, maybe not.

TLR Irma has nothing on the rain in Istanbul.
    Congratulations America

Rain is really picking up. It's collapsed the pool cover into the pool, coming down to fast for the rain gutters to work properly, it's past the sand bags and half way up the patio (luckily the patio is huge and built 3 inches lower than the house), and we still have about 6 hours to go.

I survived. The ground is soup and my non-oak trees need to be stood back up, which could be interesting as one is about 12 feet tall.

Congrats. Tropical storm hit here about an hour ago and should last until 10 PM. People further from the city center are starting to lose power. Worried about all the stray cats.

doesn't sound too bad given destruction visited elsewhere by Irma
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Glad you're okay.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    (one time 380V rather than the expected 230V but that's a different fun story).
    Must've been a proper bunch of moron electricians because who in the world does mistake the cabling for three-phase alternating current for the usual (one-phase) alternating current system?

I mean, it's easy to discern: Three-phase AC has four wires in the cables and "normal" AC has three or two wires. They're also colour coded. And only a bloody idiot wouldn't connect neutral (usually blue) to neutral.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Must've been a proper bunch of moron electricians because who in the world does mistake the cabling for three-phase alternating current for the usual (one-phase) alternating current system?

I mean, it's easy to discern: Three-phase AC has four wires in the cables and "normal" AC has three or two wires. They're also colour coded. And only a bloody idiot wouldn't connect neutral (usually blue) to neutral.
    Yeah, and still they managed to do exactly that. Thank God most appliances were behind a surge protection but pretty much all chargers before the protection exploded, as did all light bulbs. Cables were declared unsafe for further use.
    Congratulations America

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Yeah, and still they managed to do exactly that. Thank God most appliances were behind a surge protection but pretty much all chargers before the protection exploded, as did all light bulbs. Cables were declared unsafe for further use.
    At least they didn't mistake the phase wire for the protective ground wire. Some bloody idiot at my school did just that - good thing we have the fault ground current protectors everywhere, because with the device I plugged in (metal casing) someone would have gotten a nasty shock otherwise.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

My friend's 94 yr old mother is dying. What's most disturbing is the reluctance of physicians to prescribe her pain relief. It's hard enough to watch a parent die, but it's torture to watch them linger and die in pain.