Page 167 of 167 FirstFirst ... 67117157165166167
Results 4,981 to 4,992 of 4992

Thread: What's messing with your Groove?

Taking over a patient from another clinic. Some fucking intern wrote a limerick in the discharge summary where he "jokes" about AIDS. This is, needless to say, extremely unprofessional, and had the patient read it (which he could easily have done online had I not gotten in touch with the intern) there's a good chance he would've been either unnecessarily worried or deeply offended, or both.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

Growing old in a culture that not only celebrates youth, but the appearance of youth. Many of my peers have had their faces and boobs lifted, they attend Botox "parties" held by esteemed doctors. Some culture, huh.

No wonder we have a POTUS with a bad comb-over

On call. Can't sleep. Have Nessun Dorma stuck in my head.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

Having trouble sleeping. My brother lives in Santa Rosa I keep worrying about the wind surging again during the night and driving a fire up into his section of town when he's asleep and might not hear an alert or evacuation order in time.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Hope they get the fires under control
    — Bill Gates

Lots of smoke and ash still falling here in San Francisco. Supposedly winds are picking up tonight, things are not looking good.

A close friend of the family and especially my mum hasn't been reachable for two weeks. He's elderly and was recently ill, and feeling increasingly weary of living, at age 92, with much less mobility and strength than he had point a year ago. It's scary, he's the closest I've ever had to a maternal grandfather but because we have nothing to do with his other friends and he has no contact with his family there's a very real possibility that something bad has happened without us knowing. Anyway I got in touch with an on-call social worker in sthlm and asked her to do what she can to find out and if possible let us know if he's all right or at least alive.
    — Bill Gates

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Having trouble sleeping. My brother lives in Santa Rosa I keep worrying about the wind surging again during the night and driving a fire up into his section of town when he's asleep and might not hear an alert or evacuation order in time.
    How is your brother doing Fuzzy? I hope all is well with you and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    How is your brother doing Fuzzy? I hope all is well with you and your family.
    He's ok, no evacuations in his part of town (south-south-east) and at this point any fire would either have to go back over burned out areas or move through half the town to reach him.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

My Facebook feed is flooded with #metoo-tagged stories. As far as I can tell, most of the women on my friends list who actively use Facebook--which is most of them--have, over the course of a single day, shared stories about their experiences with being sexually harassed or assaulted. For most of them, it's just a selection of the "highlights" and yet it's a litany of one transgression after another. None can, even on its own, be trivialized by any decent person--and there are. so. fucking. many. Lists of events beginning in early childhood and continuing into the present, which in some cases is near retirement age. Treatment the vast overwhelming majority of men never really have to put up with, ranging from incessant verbal and physical harassment--by strangers, friends, teachers, employers, colleagues, patients--to outright violent assault. Almost all of the people in my network live in and have grown up in western countries, so you might say these are the FORTUNATE ones. This world is fucked up. I expect lame-ass MRAs are actively trying to protect their tiny, fragile minds against this onslaught of tragedy but I can't imagine it's easy when so many speak up at once.
    — Bill Gates

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    shared stories about their experiences with being sexually harassed or assaulted.
    Which is insane, because no victim owes anyone their story. This hashtag has done wonders who allowing people to open up and vent.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Which is insane, because no victim owes anyone their story. This hashtag has done wonders who allowing people to open up and vent.
    It's a good reminder that victims don't owe anyone their silence either. I mentioned this to my wife in passing and it led to a conversation I really hadn't expected. There are people all around us carrying these experiences with them all their lives.
    — Bill Gates