Page 169 of 169 FirstFirst ... 69119159167168169
Results 5,041 to 5,049 of 5049

Thread: What's messing with your Groove?

Anthony Bourdain committed suicide.

The shock of his death has wide ripple effects. The guy that started out as a Vasser drop-out dishwasher, but worked his way up in the culinary world, while overcoming heroin addiction, to become a celebrated chef and author......has taken his own life.

My son considered Bourdain a role model. Mostly because he'd faced his demons and come out the other end, with great success. But now what does that mean?

Nobody ever truly comes out the other end with their demons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Being upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Yeah. But it concerns me because my son had depression with suicidal ideation a few years back. Besides counseling and a Rx for anti-depressant meds, he found hope in Bourdain's story of overcoming those demons. Since he's chosen the culinary world as his profession and life work, people like Bourdain made deep impressions.

I didn't know the "food world" had so many hurt souls

http://chefswithissues.com/
    Last edited by GGT; 06-25-2018 at 05:33 AM.

I sort of got laid-off today, from my part-time job as the "culinary gardener" for a fine-dining restaurant. The owner saw me tending the tomato plants, spoke wistfully about missing gardening, and said he wanted to take it up again. And oh yeah, that staff payroll costs were too high, so I should "take a break" and leave the gardens to him from now on. Maybe he said "for a while", I can't remember. It was pretty abrupt to be complimented and told to take a hike at the same time.

Sad thing is that he won't really tend the gardens, but will expect the *salaried* kitchen staff to do it, when they're already over-worked and under-staffed. He's been really bad at managing the restaurant, and money in general. Tons of back taxes, accounts due, Sheriff visits monthly, black-listed by vendors, it's a real mess. The restaurant and land is listed for sale at $1.5 million, but he's letting it go to seed.

Yet, he dines there every night, usually with guests, ordering the most expensive meals and wines, but never pays the check or gives tips. My weekly wages were roughly the cost of one steak dinner (less than $50). I submitted expense receipts for a garden water hose nozzle and flexible plant tape ($12.99) and was told to wait two weeks for reimbursement. So sad

I got snapped from r/thanosdidnothingwrong/, now I have to wait till the next avengers movie
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    I got snapped from r/thanosdidnothingwrong/, now I have to wait till the next avengers movie
    I spent far too much time trying to figure out what this meant.

They banned half of their user base at random to bring balance and prevent overpopulation.

I've only posted there once, in support of the snappening, and I got snapped too.

My workplace is going digital and that's actually something I am quite happy about. It gives me freedom in scheduling my work in ways that I couldn't have imagined a couple of weeks ago. Basically I get up early in the morning, do some work for a couple of hours, hop into the shower, get dressed and go to the office at 12. There I printed out my work, chatted a bit with collegues, drank coffee. And checked some documents in an old style file. Then, shortly after 3 I was out again. (I don't work full time).

Now, why am I writing this in the Groove thread?

That would be because they force me to do all this on a laptop that by the looks of it was the cheapest piece of crap they could buy from Dell. At no point in my life have I ever bought a laptop as basic as what I got from my employer. But it's what I have to work with
    Greece shows us that there is a kind of politician worse than the ones that break their election promises; the ones that keep their election promises.

"In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."