Page 174 of 174 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174
Results 5,191 to 5,202 of 5202

Thread: What's messing with your Groove?

I'm so sorry GGT
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

Sorry to hear that GG
    Greece shows us that there is a kind of politician worse than the ones that break their election promises; the ones that keep their election promises.

Citrix
    Greece shows us that there is a kind of politician worse than the ones that break their election promises; the ones that keep their election promises.

Some of you overseas folks will get a kick out of this. This is just the first page from 1 of 3 separate bills from my kidney stone. I was in the hospital for maybe 2 hours before being sent home to pass the stone myself. Shit like for profit healthcare is why candidates like Bernie are so appealing for the next generation of voters.

Click to view the full version
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Some of you overseas folks will get a kick out of this. This is just the first page from 1 of 3 separate bills from my kidney stone. I was in the hospital for maybe 2 hours before being sent home to pass the stone myself. Shit like for profit healthcare is why candidates like Bernie are so appealing for the next generation of voters.
    Haha...

Yeah, it's nasty.
    I wonder what my 21 rounds of chemo (ABDV, DHAP, Brentuximab vedotin/Bendamustine combo, 21 days radiation therapy and an auto stem cell would have cost me...
    I know the mean is somewhat around $150,000 for the later; but it largly depens on were in the world you do it... in India it's a 1/3rd?!

I have also done 5-6 PET-CTs these recent three years, just to relate.
    (I have lost counts since I don't have to care about it... I support avoiding more if not needed...)

I recall a PET-CT is 2-3 times more expensive (usually).
    Still... would expect something like $ 1,500-3,000, not $19,000 (?)
    So are my google search incorrect or what is missing?
    (I have googled some PET-CTs at $13,000!)

But you have insurances covering that? Isn't that the way to go?

Insurance here is tied to employment and pretty much everything has moved to HDCPs. So you have to pay for and exceed a certain threshold before insurance will even speak to you about coverage. Even after that point you still have to help cover each charge. Because charges against insurances for treatment look like the bill I received. IIRC my employer recently passed a million dollars a year in insurance costs just to subscribe to the plan that they offer us.

From this one bill I owe about $4200. I still have to handle the separate bills from the ER doctor and the separate bill from the tech who ran CT machine
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Hospitals found ways to game the system. More and more are being called lab fees, because insurance usually requires you to pay a set percentage. More and more doctors are effectively considered independent contractors, allowing them to charge a separate fee. The billed costs of procedures are unrelated to how much they actually cost the hospital and are based on complex formulas predicting how much insurance would pay. None of this behavior goes away with government-paid healthcare (in fact, lower profit margins will probably make it worse). You'd need government-run healthcare for that, and that comes with its own set of problems.
    Hope is the denial of reality

A coworker who routinely cuts corners and despite that being pointed out regularly, never improved. Now we found out he screwed up a calibration in many ways. We had a meeting on what to do next (it has been used extensively since), where he mostly tried to find excuses (which to me is irrelevant - it went wrong and we should fix it and try to learn from it). And I got a distinct impression he wants top sweep it under the rug, which is wrong for multiple reasons. Now he went straight over our group lead top the manager to complain that I 'attacked' him.

I mean we work on medical devices, this kind of thing is serious, and he complains?
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

OG was treated at a "for profit" hospital during an emergency. That's a real problem with American medicine; not whether employer-subsidized insurance pays partial costs, or that hospitals have figured out how to game the insurance industry. Classic "prisoner's dilemma".

#2nd re-organization at work this year.
    I'm so damn tired of the mess so I have started to work on my cv again.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    My beloved cat died yesterday. She was 15 yrs old and had been ill recently, so it wasn't a total surprise. I knew she was living on borrowed time. Thought I'd prepared myself, but that's different from being ready.

I'm glad she was at home and died in her sleep, peacefully. She had a good life, and was so loved, like part of the family. It's hard to say goodbye
    Sorry to hear that. Cats are the best.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Yeah. I paid (and subsequently was reimbursed for it - private healthcare is weird in Germany) about 12,000€ for my kidney stone episode.

Mind, those 12K€ included:
    - 3*3 days in the hospital in a one-bed room
    - 4 micro-invasive surgeries under full anesthesia
    - laser lithotripsie

The original plan was a mere 2 surgeries, mind. The first one to insert a DJ-catheter in order to widen the ureter and the second one to blast the stone apart with a laser and then pull out the fragments. Problem was that the stone had become attached to the kidney lining, hence the additional two surgeries.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?