Page 178 of 178 FirstFirst ... 78128168176177178
Results 5,311 to 5,324 of 5324

Thread: What's messing with your Groove?

I feel like I should write a Letter to My Children, apologizing for the current affairs (crises) they're facing. But it would start with explaining how my parents and grandparents and great grandparents (etc.) made mistakes in their own time, which sounds like punting the responsibility/accountability angle that I hated when I was a kid myself. Back when I had youth's idealism and hope, and Great Expectations. It seemed easier when we didn't know what we didn't know, ya know?

I have to remind myself that my kids grew up in the internet age, The Information Age, where everything changes in an instant. I tried to teach them that *real* change is a slow and arduous process. When they thought I was an old geezer who couldn't keep up with the pace of technology (because I didn't have the latest iPhone), or a luddite (because I rejected Facebook and "social media"), I hope they didn't think I was totally clueless about the world they were growing up in....or how hard it's been for them to make sense of everything.

When I was a little girl and the world was on the brink of Nuclear War....all I needed was my mom singing a bedtime lullaby, and telling me that "everything would be okay", and I believed it. That's when we hid under our school desks in the event of Nuclear fallout *we even practiced that like fire drills* and thought that would make us safe.
    Last edited by GGT; 07-22-2020 at 06:52 AM.

GGT... what?! ��

Well, this pandemic got me thinking about lots of things. Even the possibility that I might get infected with Covid-19 and end up in ICU (or a hallway) struggling to breathe. No visitors allowed. Saying goodbye to my kids on Facetime, dying alone. Morbid but realistic.

I was an ICU nurse and critical care manager for years, but we never had to exclude family members from patients' death beds. I used to be the one calling family members to their bedside. Now I have nightmares that I'm screaming but no one can hear me, and I can't hold hands with my sons as I lay dying.

Writing a Letter to My Children sounds like a good idea, but I just can't do it because it sounds too much like a suicide note.
    Last edited by GGT; 07-22-2020 at 11:34 AM.

Duty is heavier than a mountain; death is lighter than a feather.

In panic I wrote a page to each family memember.
    Now I don't know the location of those pages.

When I die I think I'll mostly accept that there isn't much to do about it and the kids will carry on one way or another anyhow.
    You can shape them a bit but in the end life is their story to write.

Thanks, rille

I probably wouldn't have posted my morbid thoughts in this thread if the "When You Die" thread hadn't died.

Haha!

Does it make any sense that I miss dying?
    Now I have to try to live again.

Edit: ...and of course that is stupid.

I'm in the process of writing some letters. It'll give me some peace of mind. My aunt died of covid a couple of weeks ago, and the worst thing was that this wonderful, caring person—who'd done everything in her power to be there for those she loved in their time of need—was so alone when her own time came, because of understandable but painful restrictions on visiting at the hospital.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

I'm so sorry about your aunt, minx.

There's got to be a way at least ONE special person can suit up in PPE (like the caregivers do) and be at their loved ones' death bed. I hope those hospital/nursing home policies will change. Virtual Reality just doesn't cut it.

It hurts my soul that my kids can't pursue their dream jobs in food or music, because the covid-19 exposed all the flaws in the US economy.

It also killed a part of my soul that one son in NC (who made the brave move to transfer out-of-state for career opportunities) had a worse experience than the son who stayed in PA, due to differences in state unemployment benefits. Now the younger, braver son is moving back home...giving up a part of his dream -- independence -- because he's seen the writing on the wall, and realized that Freeee Markets doesn't mean Freeedom at all. It's just so wrong on so many levels.

I don't know what will happen to the restaurant/tourism/hospitality/leisure sectors, or the millions of people who work in those industries but now can't find a job, including my sons. I used to tell them they could do anything they wanted....but I was wrong.

"Hobson's choice", huh.
    Last edited by GGT; 07-30-2020 at 02:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    It hurts my soul that my kids can't pursue their dream jobs in food or music, because the covid-19 exposed all the flaws in the US economy.

It also killed a part of my soul that one son in NC (who made the brave move to transfer out-of-state for career opportunities) had a worse experience than the son who stayed in PA, due to differences in state unemployment benefits. Now the younger, braver son is moving back home...giving up a part of his dream -- independence -- because he's seen the writing on the wall, and realized that Freeee Markets doesn't mean Freeedom at all. It's just so wrong on so many levels.

I don't know what will happen to the restaurant/tourism/hospitality/leisure sectors, or the millions of people who work in those industries but now can't find a job, including my sons. I used to tell them they could do anything they wanted....but I was wrong.

"Hobson's choice", huh.
    That's when you need stubbornness. Their timing might have been unlucky, but that does not mean it was a once in a lifetime chance. The economy will rise again, and if anything, they should value the experience they got searching for a line of work, and how to approach more cleverly, more directly next time around.

I am in a similar phase. In a head lock so to speak. I have a 50% position as a physiotherapist, and 50% as a salesman at an electronics store. I've educated myself to become a physiotherapist, spent 6 years doing so in total. Yet my current line of work is failing me in every regard. I get paid less than the companies across the street, I hardly get to practice my expertise whatsoever, and have tasks that are nowhere related to what I was hired to do. At the same time, getting a job somewhere else is almost impossible. I cling to the notion that it is just almost impossible, but I also have the dilemma that I am now being offered a leader position at the electronics store. If I chose to accept it, I will have turned "almost" to "absolutely certainly" impossible in terms of getting a good job position again within physiotherapy. I don't see myself loving the sales job in 20 years, but I probably would the next 1-2 years. Frankly, haven't got a clue if I should rock the boat or not.
    Tomorrow is like an empty canvas that extends endlessly, what should I sketch on it?

Could you take the position part time, so you can still practice physiotherapy on the side? That might keeps the options open in the future when there may be more options getting a job somewhere else.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Kazuha Vinland View Post
    If I chose to accept it, I will have turned "almost" to "absolutely certainly" impossible in terms of getting a good job position again within physiotherapy.
    I'd start by critically examining this assumption.

Btw Sweden is gonna need a LOT of physiotherapists soon
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Could you take the position part time, so you can still practice physiotherapy on the side? That might keeps the options open in the future when there may be more options getting a job somewhere else.
    Afraid that's not an option. It's a position with way too much to do, even if its full time. :P

Moving is also not an option I'm afraid, as I live with my girlfriend and own an apartment we just bought this year.

In the end, I figure I'll take the job, as it's challenging myself, and I don't want to be one of those people who always wondered if they would manage to go down such a route, if they tried. I am not passionate about physiotherapy, to be honest. I am passionate about electronics and managing. So maybe it's not as much prestige, but I might end up liking it more.
    Tomorrow is like an empty canvas that extends endlessly, what should I sketch on it?

Do it
    — Bill Gates