Page 185 of 189 FirstFirst ... 85135175183184185186187 ... LastLast
Results 5,521 to 5,550 of 5648

Thread: What's messing with your Groove?

Firefighters axed through 7 doors, most of our networking racks are covered in ash. The north half of the building is black from smoke.

Fire seems to have been contained to the room with the HVAC unit but it blew everything through the vent system.

Going to be closed for at least a week
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

what the fuck
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Great, now Floridians won't have books to distract them.
    Hope is the denial of reality

My cat Cinder didn't come back in after being let out yesterday morning. Came back to the apartment after looking more this morning to find animal control a couple of apartment buildings down, they'd just taken him out from a car he was trapped under (I passed that spot multiple times calling him yesterday) with an obvious leg injury. I took him straight to the vet and they've told me he has a luxated joint they can't repair (but a more specialized surgeon might be able to do so, if the extremities weren't already too compromised which they might already be) and that what they could do for him was a mid-femur amputation. So he's going to be losing a leg this afternoon or tomorrow depending on how long it takes for him to stabilize enough.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

That really sucks. I'm glad someone found him in time to keep him alive though.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    My cat Cinder didn't come back in after being let out yesterday morning. Came back to the apartment after looking more this morning to find animal control a couple of apartment buildings down, they'd just taken him out from a car he was trapped under (I passed that spot multiple times calling him yesterday) with an obvious leg injury. I took him straight to the vet and they've told me he has a luxated joint they can't repair (but a more specialized surgeon might be able to do so, if the extremities weren't already too compromised which they might already be) and that what they could do for him was a mid-femur amputation. So he's going to be losing a leg this afternoon or tomorrow depending on how long it takes for him to stabilize enough.
    Oh man, I'm so sorry... hope it goes as planned and that he feels better soon :/ take care bro

Very distressing news fuzzy. My commisserations.
    Congratulations America

His recovery seems to be going ok so far. He's needed some assistance with his appetite and is still really inactive, neither a big surprise. He also hates his cone of shame and managed to get it off and go after his stitches yesterday morning, had to take him back in to get a few redone. Hopefully when the stitches come out next week and the cone comes off he'll perk up some more.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    His recovery seems to be going ok so far. He's needed some assistance with his appetite and is still really inactive, neither a big surprise. He also hates his cone of shame and managed to get it off and go after his stitches yesterday morning, had to take him back in to get a few redone. Hopefully when the stitches come out next week and the cone comes off he'll perk up some more.
    Remember that cats have a "9 lives" reputation for good reasons! I hope your Cinder makes a full recovery....and that he'll be an indoor cat from now on.

I love my sister but she's driving me nuts. Any time there's some "bad news" somewhere (ie, every day) she sends me links from her Facebook groups that want to be positive and inspirational. Ya know, the stereotypical Don't Worry, Be Happy stuff of Hallmark greeting cards.

It was bad enough during the Covid pandemic, but it's gotten even worse since inflation escalated, and Russia invaded Ukraine. Today's meme was "Love Always Wins", with quotes from Gandhi.

My first reaction was to reply that Love doesn't stop bullets, let alone win Wars, but then I realized that being snarky wasn't very loving either, so I just ignore and delete those emails. What else can I do?

I was walking the dogs in a forested area near my home. A woman said something about 'a man' and pointed towards someone in the distance. I looked and saw someone standing somewhat oddly amongst the trees. I noticed her husband was calling the police and at that very moment I had an incoming call. So I continued with my regular round and took the call. As I completed the round about an hour later the entrance was closed off and there were 3 police cars. It turned out that 'standing oddly' had actually been 'hanging from a tree'.

Even though I didn't realize what I saw retroactively it's kinda disturbing me now.
    Congratulations America

Oh my God, that's awful.

I have decided to go back to my old company tomorrow.

The company I currently work for didn’t deliver on what we hand shaked on.
    Working with consults teams and test teams have been impossible.
    Upper nanagement wants an ”Agile” organisation that produces software in a production line…
    The product is boring.

Not sure it’s the right decision but so far i have lost seven people and one had a serious meltdown.

So I'm a contract worker via an agency, and I have a coworker in my team with the exact same function (albeit slightly different responsibilities and experience). Found out today that the hourly rate which is paid for me is almost 20% higher than hers. Now some difference can be expected byt this seems way too high to me. While it doesn't translate directly to actual pay, it does have a direct impact on our bonus (which is a significant amount of total pay). I sincerely hope it's not because she's a woman and I'm a guy. We do work through a different 'competence cell' with different account managers so could also be related to that, but still, same company, it should be close right?! And to be honest it doesn't help that I've seen a similar discrepancy before, where also the guy got a higher rate..

Anyway, she will pick it up with her account manager. I do hope she will get a big raise. And if not, I'm also in the works council, so can also support a bit from that side (and may be looking into it company wide if the does appear to be a gender difference).
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    So I'm a contract worker via an agency, and I have a coworker in my team with the exact same function (albeit slightly different responsibilities and experience). Found out today that the hourly rate which is paid for me is almost 20% higher than hers. Now some difference can be expected byt this seems way too high to me. While it doesn't translate directly to actual pay, it does have a direct impact on our bonus (which is a significant amount of total pay). I sincerely hope it's not because she's a woman and I'm a guy. We do work through a different 'competence cell' with different account managers so could also be related to that, but still, same company, it should be close right?! And to be honest it doesn't help that I've seen a similar discrepancy before, where also the guy got a higher rate..

Anyway, she will pick it up with her account manager. I do hope she will get a big raise. And if not, I'm also in the works council, so can also support a bit from that side (and may be looking into it company wide if the does appear to be a gender difference).
    It's fairly common—in some types of jobs—for there to be a disparity between ppl contracted via agency and ppl employed directly. Gender-discrimination can obv add to that disparity. The employer pays even more when the agency has to get a cut

If it doesn't really make a big difference in take home pay I doubt there's any kind of case. As far as the deal between your employer and the agency is concerned it's just two separate service contracts (that appear to make sure that pay is more or less equal in more or less equal situations).
    Congratulations America

Grrrr. 4 vaccinations and just did a self test; positive.

Tomorrow morning I'm going in for a full pcr test.

Feel like I have a medium case of a stomach flu. Bad enough to call in sick despite wfh.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    It's fairly common—in some types of jobs—for there to be a disparity between ppl contracted via agency and ppl employed directly. Gender-discrimination can obv add to that disparity. The employer pays even more when the agency has to get a cut
    Yes, but we're contracted through the same agency, which is what makes it odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    If it doesn't really make a big difference in take home pay I doubt there's any kind of case. As far as the deal between your employer and the agency is concerned it's just two separate service contracts (that appear to make sure that pay is more or less equal in more or less equal situations).
    The pay you take home depends on a bunch of other factors as well, but for example ~20% of my pay is directly related to the hourly rate they charge for me. So I thought my rate was high, but was happy with that. I just assumed it would be similar - if I got her rate, I'd lose about 10% in gross salary.

I don't think there's any case, but if we think it's related to gender we could do research across the agency to compare rates for people in the same role to see if that feeling is misplaced or not. Anyway, she'll take it up with her account manager first so let's see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Grrrr. 4 vaccinations and just did a self test; positive.

Tomorrow morning I'm going in for a full pcr test.

Feel like I have a medium case of a stomach flu. Bad enough to call in sick despite wfh.
    Bummer, get well.

Yes, but we're contracted through the same agency, which is what makes it odd.

The pay you take home depends on a bunch of other factors as well, but for example ~20% of my pay is directly related to the hourly rate they charge for me. So I thought my rate was high, but was happy with that. I just assumed it would be similar - if I got her rate, I'd lose about 10% in gross salary.

I don't think there's any case, but if we think it's related to gender we could do research across the agency to compare rates for people in the same role to see if that feeling is misplaced or not. Anyway, she'll take it up with her account manager first so let's see.

Bummer, get well.
    Not a hill I'd bother to fight on (let alone die). And I'm one of those people who will use the 'get up, say we'll continue in court, and leave the meeting with management and hr' if needed.

That works surprisingly well I've noticed. Especially if you back it up with a box for your personal stuff ��

The covid seems to be on the way out.
    Congratulations America

Problem solved itself anyway, she went for a promotion and got it (unrelated to finding this out).

Also not really sure what our rights are in this case, but I am getting some training on that in a few weeks actually.

My clinic has had a long and sad history of sexism, which I've always assumed was the main reason why so many talented and extremely keen women who've worked here as junior docs/house officers or even residents have declined to return. Tonight, I learned that it wasn't only run-of-the-mill sexism but also outright sexual harassment, perpetrated by several very senior colleagues. Most of those predators have left, but one is now the head of the entire center. Some of the women who were mistreated in this manner say they feel things have changed under new clinic leadership and with the new generation of residents. But the risks remain, and we haven't made necessary changes to mitigate those risks. So when my former colleagues have seemingly joked that I should switch to their new clinics, they've actually been dead serious—and I've been oblivious. We're not sure where to go from here, but we're at least talking about it now.

After more than two years staying negative, I tested positive for covid today. Symptoms are very mild so far, fingers crossed it stays that way.

After more than two years staying negative, I tested positive for covid today. Symptoms are very mild so far, fingers crossed it stays that way.
    Congratulations

Hope you don't have the same symptoms that I had, two weeks of the runs is less than fun.

Something different, entirely coincidental, I found out today that my father has been in forced labor in Germany for 3 months right up till the end of the war. I didn't know that (my parents divorced when I was 4 and separated even earlier), but happened upon an article about archive laws in The Netherlands being too restrictive for historical archives. In the article they mentioned the crazy situation that a German war archive had identical information available online where the Dutch rule don't even allow making photocopies. Then of course I had to go to the website and the only name that came to mind was my father's name. And sure enough he was there on a list of displaced persons, put to work for little under 3 months in Germany as a boy of still 17 years old. He turned 18 while in Germany as a forced laborer.
    Congratulations America

Kind of comical this. Earlier today I was in a chat with an ex (his initiative) . And then during this chat he asked me: 'Why can' t I find a boyfriend? '.

My reply: ' you're sure you're you want to ask me that question?' ��
    Congratulations America

Few years ago, one of my best mates and his wife asked me about some symptoms she'd had that were suggestive of MS or a related disorder. For a variety of reasons, they didn't move forward with the investigations recommended, and the symptoms resolved. I'd been meaning to ask them about it, but it just never seemed to be the right time. Few days ago, she relapsed, and now the diagnosis has been confirmed. Both HCWs, both work at the hospital where they know pretty much everyone, toddler at home. Obv knocked everyone off balance. This is the first time someone close to me has an issue that's squarely in my field, and it's difficult to calibrate the nature and level of my involvement to something sufficiently supportive without being unhelpful or outright inappropriate. Just wanna be a friend, but, for HCWs, friendship can be a difficult needle to thread in a medical crisis.

I’m on the call list of some scam factory somewhere. Since these people work from god know where and use fake numbers blocking them hasn’t worked and reporting them has proven useless. So every day I get at least 2 calls from new numbers. Declining the calls doesn’t deter them. So recently I have started answering their calls, after which I will put down my phone and let them do their sales pitch to nobody. It usually wastes a couple of minutes before they realise there’s nobody on thr other side. I hope that some day they’re going to get the message.
    Congratulations America

I'm having trouble processing all the negative things happening all at once -- domestically and globally -- and it's overwhelming.

I know there are millions of others who feel this way too, especially those under 40 yrs old who envision a dystopian Mad Max type of future but are ignored or discounted because they're just too negative to be taken seriously. It's pretty hard to be optimistic when faced with so many Existential Crises simultaneously; climate change, crazy conservatives, crony capitalism, constitutional chaos, cognitive collapse.

No idea how others are coping during this difficult and disturbing time, especially when old memes like "Kiss your children and go shopping" or "Drill Baby Drill" or "Only good guys with guns can stop bad guys with guns" remain as influential propaganda, coupled with the myth of American Exceptionalism....and ever-expanding economic growth on a planet with finite resources. Thoughts and Prayers? harumph

I'm moving to a pricey part of the east coast, and I have no idea how people afford to live there. I'm taking a job with a pretty good salary (though average by that area's standards) and it will barely pay the bills. Rent alone would wipe out nearly the entire salary of jobs that require a BA or a high school diploma. This is not sustainable. It's only a matter of time before most urban areas on the coasts start to resemble San Francisco.

Then why are you moving there?