Page 21 of 189 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast

Thread: What's messing with your Groove?

It means Comcast, currently, can block, choke, shape any and all traffic it seems fit to. That means that it can block sites that are anti-comcast, block torrents (comcast's attack on p2p is what started the lawsuit), hell, it could block competitors.
    And worse, it could decide to charge extra for that content.

The FCC luckily still has a nuke from orbit option, they could reclassify internet providers the same as telecoms, which would be the mother of all bitch slaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    It means Comcast, currently, can block, choke, shape any and all traffic it seems fit to. That means that it can block sites that are anti-comcast, block torrents (comcast's attack on p2p is what started the lawsuit), hell, it could block competitors.
    And worse, it could decide to charge extra for that content.

The FCC luckily still has a nuke from orbit option, they could reclassify internet providers the same as telecoms, which would be the mother of all bitch slaps.
    Hehe, somebody went to internet-hell and took some pictures?
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Beeb
    Yemen child bride 'bleeds to death'

A 13-year-old Yemeni girl has died of internal bleeding three days after being married, rights groups say.

The report comes amid ongoing debate on setting a minimum age for brides in Yemen, where more than a quarter of girls are married before the age of 15.

A 2009 law setting the minimum age at 17 was repealed after some lawmakers said it was un-Islamic. A final decision is due this month.

There was no official confirmation of the death by Yemeni officials.

The girl, said to have been married to a man in his 20s, died in the west of the country last week, the Arab Sisters Forum (Saf) rights group said.

A medical report by the hospital where she was treated said she had suffered a tear to her genitals and severe bleeding after intercourse, the group said.

In a statement obtained by the Reuters news agency, Unicef's regional director, Sigrid Kaag, said the UN child agency was "dismayed by the death of yet another child bride in Yemen".

Human rights groups have been pressurising the authorities to outlaw family-arranged child marriages in Yemen, which has a tribal social structure.
    Huzzahs for ancient Islamic laws and the fuckwits who practice them.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Huzzahs for ancient Islamic laws and the fuckwits who practice them.

Central America's worse, according to wikipedia. Age of consent is 9, and you don't even need to marry your preteen lover.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

buh
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Florida's got a grey area, if both are between 16-23, the state doesn't step in.

I have comcast.

All the allergy folks---
    From Florida to Texas to Colorado, 2010 is shaping up to be a monster of an allergy season. The words "pollen" and "allergy" are among the top 10 trending topics on Twitter in several U.S. cities. Everywhere, it seems, is covered in a fine yellow dust that irritates our lives. Experts say it's the worst they've seen in years...

...Oak trees are the culprit in many places in the Southeast.

The trees produce 3,000 to 6,000 pollen particles per cubic meter; it only takes 10 particles to trigger an allergic reaction.
    My subdivision is called Oak Hill.

One thing is for sure, it's not so much as the oak in my area as it is all the pine. It's not helping my allergies at all with my friend and his dad's logging crew working a 70 acre block near my house.

ohhhh this is gonna be a spectacular hangover
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

So it's begun. The ex calls me first thing this morning: his girlfriend's contract to buy the house was signed. He wants my help in finding painters, floor refinishers, electricians, contractors, roofers, landscapers. For renovating her house, so they can move in there while an extension to his house is being built. Now it's a hurry up and get 'er done time crunch. She hasn't the time, since she lives almost an hour away and needs to close her current house and pack. He hasn't the time, since the end of academic year is his "busy season" with final projects and grading. They also want to vacation and travel abroad this summer. No mention of our kids in this whirlwind. What a guy.

Facial hair, it's itchy and irritating. Before you smart arse bastards throw you 2 cents/pence in, I ran out of blades for my DE Razor and i can't find a place with suitable stock to get some more.

Order some from somewhere.

And buy a cheap(ish) temporary substitute razor in the meantime.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    Order some from somewhere.
    I'm trying, seems like a few places on the web have also sold out of what i want. However, they've got the next best thing so i'm getting a small supply until they've got some 'Feathers' in.

And buy a cheap(ish) temporary substitute razor in the meantime.
    I might have to, but i'm hoping it won't come back to that.

My son called to say his roommate has decided to move back to Chicago. Saturday. He's the only name on the lease, and the apartment manager is letting him break it without penalty. But my son can't find another roommate this fast, or sign a lease with no credit history.

He can't move back with his dad, since he's doing all this renovation and purchasing crap with his girlfriend. He asked if he could move back home with me and his little brother, promising to pay rent and "follow house rules" and help out by doing chores. I could hear the disappointment in his voice, and the sound of swallowed pride.

My heart broke a bit, because I know he really wanted to feel independent, and get out from under parental thumbs. I'm glad he'll be coming home (selfish mom stuff) and he knew that was better than 'flopping' in some seedy boarding house.....it's not going to be easy tho.

oy

ConTEXT.

You'd think if you highlight some code in the editor and press delete that it would delete it. Nope. Sometimes it will remove the last selected file from the project you're working on. Backspace you say? Well maybe you don't want to erase something you've just highlighted, but actually go back through the active tabs! I need a proper editor with syntax highlighting...

Edit: And the Enter key apparently. Bastard.
    Last edited by Illusions; 04-13-2010 at 05:31 PM.
    . . .

I applied for a business course in Rome a few weeks ago, and just got a reaction. I didn't get in But they did say they were impressed with me, just too little space, I only just didn't make it, blabla. They did offer me another thing in Amsterdam in june (which I probably can't make).
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

My cats seen to want to be yellow instead of their own very handsome selves. Rather than pestering me for kitty hairdye, they seem to feel it is better to go roll about in pollen and then come back home and jump on me. Now, the yellow pine pollen is actually not nearly as bad an allergen as some of the other types we have flying around at the moment, but I still don't need to be inhaling it.

Spring sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    The video is all over Digg and Reddit, no surprise there, but I was surprised to see it on the front page of Slashdot.

I was more put off by the gunner egging the first survivor to crawl to a weapon, so he could unload on him again. The bloodlust is unbelievable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermarioman View Post
    Where's the mainstream media coverage?
    I haven't seen ANYTHING about this on ABC, NBC, or CBS yet.
    Just saw these posts from the fifth of April.

Saw that on the BBC when it was an issue too. Horrible video, truly awful and I hope some the individuals on it get courtmartialled.

One commentator on the Beeb was referring to the "Playstation Generation" at war. While I've never believed "Grand Theft Auto caused a schoolground massacre" etc, seeing someone shoot an innocent man (in hindsight) dead through a windscreen and scream out "Headshot!" with his mate laughing it over - you'd truly think they were playing a game and not ending people's lives.

I suspect its not just that, but the young age of many going over, combined with the distance between them and the people they're shooting at. Any old notions of seeing the whites of the eye of the other guy are long since gone for some of these people (not all), and the people on this video seemed to have no more human connection with the idea they're real people on the ground, than that they're playing Counterstrike. Doubt it'd have happened the same way had they been done on the street with them.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenCain View Post
    Central America's worse, according to wikipedia. Age of consent is 9, and you don't even need to marry your preteen lover.

Large Image:
    Surprised how much of the US is <18. I'm used to the idea of 16, but thought in America it was 18 predominantly but doesn't look that way.

Then again, much of Europe goes the opposite direction. This 13 year old could have got married and suffered those injuries in Spain it appears

One commentator on the Beeb was referring to the "Playstation Generation" at war. While I've never believed "Grand Theft Auto caused a schoolground massacre" etc, seeing someone shoot an innocent man (in hindsight) dead through a windscreen and scream out "Headshot!" with his mate laughing it over - you'd truly think they were playing a game and not ending people's lives.
    Each generation has large numbers of boys and girls who're quite willing to experiment with murder when they feel the consequences are acceptable, to misquote uncle Kurt
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Surprised how much of the US is <18. I'm used to the idea of 16, but thought in America it was 18 predominantly but doesn't look that way.
    Well, in the first place, a lot of the <18 age of consent laws in the US have riders on them - such as it's legal to have sex with someone who's 16 or 17, as long as you're not more than 5 years older than the minor you're sekzing.

But, more importantly... Federal.

As in, if I lived in Cincinnati (which is on the Ohio/Kentucky border), I could legally fuck a 16 year old who lives on the Ohio side of the city, but if I cross the river and fuck a 16 year old who lives on the Kentucky side, I've committed a handful of federal crimes. Yippie!
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

Lolli--I feel your pain.

Our chilly rain didn't do crap after all, but lured me into opening windows. New layer of yellow on the screens and every surface indoors now, even on my keyboard. Wind blows clouds of pollen that look like mist in the sun. Pines or oaks, whatever, the shit is nasty. So are anti-histamines, dizzier than my usual self.

Just had to check in, but I had to get my passport out. Then this woman at business check in calls 'next in line' and then an entire bloody tourgroup presents itself. So that meant that I had the choice between waiting line 15 at the economy luggage drop off or the same time at the business check in for that group to be processed. It also took me 40 minutes to get to the airport. Under normal circumstances it's little over 15 minutes. What the fuck? Next thing I know this plane is going Kaczynski on me.
    Congratulations America

You're just another tourist, dear. Another number. Did you expect corneal scans to follow you around the globe, just so you can get into the Fast Line with the Easy Check Button as an Individual? oopsies....

bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored

I hate my current job. I don't have the natural skills to do it. And it bores me. Fucking project management. Eight months of it now and there is nothing rewarding or enjoyable about doing this.

Been applying for development jobs that suit me and been called in to interview, and found some perfect ones, except that they all seem to be in Swindon.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

We can't always get everything we want, Bukaroo.

But ... but ...

I know...

Meanwhile, I love my job!

And I got a stellar review from my boss on Monday!

Fuck you, Timbuck
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Great. Insults to add to my professional woes.

I get 'you need to pull your socks up' reviews from my boss. Which makes me hate my job even more. Which means I get worse reviews.

Just give me redundancy already. Sheesh. Will get a massive payout after 10 years here.

Need to tread the fine line between doing something bad enough that they let me go but not so bad that I get fired on the spot.

Just picture your boss pulling her (or his) socks up, while wearing nothing else.

No, don't do that.

Just picture your boss being sacrificed to the volcano gods to ensure good weather.