Page 41 of 189 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 5648

Thread: What's messing with your Groove?

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    What is the situation for transgender people in the US? Are they legally declared to be of the opposite gender post-op?
    Congratulations America

Chicken Nuggets, they be serious business.

WITI-TV, SHOREWOOD - Sharing or trading food during school lunchtime is not unheard of, but sharing landed one teenager in police handcuffs.

Ava Hernandez got a disturbing voicemail message from the Assistant Principal of Shorewood High School in March. Her 15-year-old brother Adam has been taken into police custody. She says, "It was because his friend had shared a lunch with him and he was accused of stealing was really, I don't know, it was just over the top."

Adam was accused of stealing chicken nuggets from a $2.60 meal. Those are the nuggets his friend, Gakaree Garner, gave to him. Garner says, "Although that month I was fasting so I couldn't eat meat, and we had chicken nuggets that day."

Garner gave the nuggets to Adam, who got in the lunch line to get some sauce for them. According to Garner and the police report the cafeteria cashier told the Assistant Principal Adam stole the chicken nuggets. The Assistant Principal then told the police officer in the school, who called a squad car. Garner says, "They actually put him in handcuffs, and actually tried to force him into the car."

Ava Hernandez says, "They were like, 'Well do you know that friend receives federally free lunch?', and I said, 'I do now.', and they said, 'Well, it's illegal to share a free lunch so either way Adam was breaking the law'."

Adam was issued a municipal citation for theft and a $170.00 fine, which he chose to fight in court to keep his record clean. A youth group Urban Underground trumpets Adam's cause, fighting against young people needlessly being put in the judicial system.

After garnering media attention the Shorewood Police Chief and High School Principal decided to withdraw the theft charges against Adam Hernandez, thus canceling scheduled court proceedings.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    What is the situation for transgender people in the US? Are they legally declared to be of the opposite gender post-op?
    It depends on the state.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

4 year old slumber party

I'm still surprised Brandy trusts me with her 2. Or that she gave me one of my own.
    But now other parents are trusting me with their kids!

When did responsibility like this sneak up on me?

The moment you agreed to supervise 4 year olds for a slumber party? What were you thinking?

I don't think thought entered into that at all.

I hope no one wets the bed. But 4 year olds can do that. A grown man helping out with that could be.....misconstrued.

I didn't agree to squat it was Ocean's/Brandy's idea. Brandy was all for it because she gets to work tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    I didn't agree to squat it was Ocean's/Brandy's idea. Brandy was all for it because she gets to work tonight
    You could have said No. Then had Brandy plan the slumber party while she's home to help out.

No offense, but other kids' parents said Yes to this shin-dig, with you in charge and the mom away?

We don't work like that. We don't get to turn each other down. Instead its a give and take thing. I'm here trying to make sure 5 children survive the night, and she will likely have to attend MetroCon or other nerdy event with me this weekend.

Besides, I've got my approval stamp.

The gender of the parent is unimportant.

I find the thought of slumber parties for four year olds bizarre, but don't really see what your issue with OG being in charge is.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    The gender of the parent is unimportant.

I find the thought of slumber parties for four year olds bizarre, but don't really see what your issue with OG being in charge is.
    4 year old slumber party

I'm still surprised Brandy trusts me with her 2. Or that she gave me one of my own.
    But now other parents are trusting me with their kids!

When did responsibility like this sneak up on me?

As far as gender goes, it all depends on how well the parents know and trust each other. And how the kids have been baby-sat in their tiny little past.

OG is a relatively "new" parent. Our culture has gone freaky for fear about Good Touch vs Bad Touch, as my post in the WTF thread illustrates. There's still a stigma about male child-care providers in some areas. I've even had some parents say my sons couldn't be their baby-sitter until their kid was totally toilet trained and verbally fluent.

I'm just guessing he hasn't run up against a non-relative parent who might freak out about putting their 4 year old in the tub and helping them clean their private parts, because they shat their pants.

In Texas, it's based on your chromosomes. Other places, I don't know.
    Your search had no results.

I see an ow-she, and he isn't saying one word.

Having got my new computer set up (see happy thread for details) and my internet all straightened out, things started going to shit! I am trying to get my Qwest accounts set up online, so needed a Windows Live ID. Well fuck...had one of those, but Qwest won't accept the @myway.com address! Fine! Qwest had already given me an @q.com address that works with all my Qwest accounts...BUT if I want to move from "manage my account" to "check my mail" or even "view bill" (on the same page as manage), I have to sign in again. Ok, I am sure there is a simple way to fix this, so started working on that on Thursday afternoon. Since I am not the most tech savvy person, I am consulting Qwest via phone and IM while trying to do this. Also checking out various help topics at all the Qwest sites. Fast forward to today...I still have to sign into each page separately at any of the Qwest sites AND have now lost my longstanding MSN account! (The @myway one I have had since I first got messenger waaaaay back in the bad old days!) I will have to go back to working on this shit pretty soon, but needed a break before I kicked in my new computer!
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

Alright, you've got a grudge against the library for some reason. Do you...

a) call the library director and complain
    b) call a county commissioner and complain
    c) piss on the poetry and classic collection
    d) drop literal shit in the public staircase, then come back in a week and drop more shit in our main hall.

In the past 2 weeks we have found a section of the 800s covered in urine, and not 1 but 2, shit piles.
    People are such rational beings.

People are passionate about books. That's good, right?

Your library is just weird.

Ewwww, that's disgusting.

Sounds like you have a hobo problem.

Spin it let's begin it. Angel_Mapper's Avatar
    Depends on what state, and what for. Texas, Florida, Ohio and New York don't recognize the change for marriage purposes. Another set of states don't recognize it for birth certificate changes. California and other states will change your birth certificate and recognizes the change for marriage. Other states either don't have anything on the books or haven't had a court case to decide the issue, so we're in limbo there. I swear when I drove across the country while moving from Oregon to Florida last year I changed legal genders at least 5 times.
    Angel Mapper - Prometheus

To have said goodbye to things!

Computer bug at work and I can't figure out how to fix it. Somebody typed an invoice in seriously incorrectly, I fixed it for them but the computer processed it half with the bug and half with the fix. Now the bug has affected other things for that day.

Now the computer's reporting £250 of stock missing on a day when nothing did, and its not reappearing elsewhere. And I can't figure out how to fix it at all, so we're just artificially down £250. When we're not

Quote Originally Posted by Angel_Mapper View Post
    Depends on what state, and what for. Texas, Florida, Ohio and New York don't recognize the change for marriage purposes. Another set of states don't recognize it for birth certificate changes. California and other states will change your birth certificate and recognizes the change for marriage. Other states either don't have anything on the books or haven't had a court case to decide the issue, so we're in limbo there. I swear when I drove across the country while moving from Oregon to Florida last year I changed legal genders at least 5 times.
    WTF, how can your birth certificate be changed? I understand that after the change it should be legally recognised but why should that recognition be back-dated to your birth certificate? That's just not true!

I'm sorry but if you're born a boy but die a girl, or even if you're born in a boys body and get that "fixed" into being a girls body for you, you were still born a boy . Do you go back and get your name changed on your school records?

Re-writing history is all very 1984ish

Having consistent documentation helps prevent, for example, someone from claiming that your marriage is invalid. Some states only amend the original birth certificate, some replace it completely.

My pages are not fitting my monitor screen! Some of them open on the right half of the screen, some open on the left half, and some take their half out of the middle! This one takes up about 2/3 of the screen in the center but some, like http://trib.com/, take up about half the screen right in the center...in text so small that I can't read it. I didn't have this problem with my other computer/OS. My monitor resolution is set correctly and I have all my settings, both online and in my control panel, set to the largest text available. I am not sure if this is a Windows 7 thing, a Firefox thing (it automatically updated to the new version when I downloaded it), or if my tower isn't properly recognizing my monitor. And, my menu bar and navigation bar are so small it's unbelievable. I have to do the "hunt and poke" method to switch tabs! If anyone has any brilliant ideas how to fix this, let me know!
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

Quote Originally Posted by Angel_Mapper View Post
    Having consistent documentation helps prevent, for example, someone from claiming that your marriage is invalid. Some states only amend the original birth certificate, some replace it completely.
    But its not consistent. Are all your other records like school records "updated"?
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmunchkin View Post
    My pages are not fitting my monitor screen! Some of them open on the right half of the screen, some open on the left half, and some take their half out of the middle! This one takes up about 2/3 of the screen in the center but some, like http://trib.com/, take up about half the screen right in the center...in text so small that I can't read it. I didn't have this problem with my other computer/OS. My monitor resolution is set correctly and I have all my settings, both online and in my control panel, set to the largest text available. I am not sure if this is a Windows 7 thing, a Firefox thing (it automatically updated to the new version when I downloaded it), or if my tower isn't properly recognizing my monitor. And, my menu bar and navigation bar are so small it's unbelievable. I have to do the "hunt and poke" method to switch tabs! If anyone has any brilliant ideas how to fix this, let me know!
    May be Win7. Used it on a colleagues laptop and it takes a little bit of getting used to. If its not filling the whole screen maybe as simple as maximising the window? Click the square box next to the red x on the top right of the window. May need to press it a couple of times on Win 7.

As for everything being small, you may want to reduce your resolution. Not sure if its the same in Win7 but in Vista right-click on your Desktop and select "Personalization", select Display Settings and scroll the Resolution bar downwards.

In Firefox, press Ctrl + = a few times and see if that helps. There's also an option in one of the menus to reset the text size to default, but I'm not using Firefox, so I'm not sure where it is exactly.

Edit: that looks weird. Press the Ctrl key and the Equals key at the same time.
    Your search had no results.

Ctrl+0 changes it back to normal.

Ctrl + = works to enlarge the page I am reading and it does look more "normal" than Ctrl + + does, but I still have to do it each time I change pages. I need to know if there is some way to keep the setting that works best for me? Or is this just something I am going to have to live with until an update comes out on either FF or Windows 7 that will permanently fix the problem? I am definitely not alone in this. I have visited the FF forums and the Windows forums and found a lot of other users with this problem but no one is giving a fix that is "fixed". I know it's not that tough to click a couple keys, but it's irritating as hell to have to keep doing it!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    But its not consistent. Are all your other records like school records "updated"?
    In most cases you just need to provide the court order for your name change, but that's not transsexual specific. Any documents you'd need like diplomas etc don't have gender markers.