Page 53 of 189 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,590 of 5648

Thread: What's messing with your Groove?

Some loonies are ok, just don't let them run countries....
    Such is Life...

Surfacing news about experiments in Guatemala, injecting syphilis into subjects' genitals and spines, to test if penicillin could be prophylactic. The syphilis was grown in labs in the US and flown to Guatemala, apparently with full knowledge of the American scientists. Science needs subjects, and they couldn't repeat Tuskegee, or looking like Mengele, now could they?

The NIH-funded experiment, which ran from 1946 to 1948, was uncovered by a Wellesley College medical historian. It apparently was conducted to test if penicillin, then relatively new, could prevent some sexually transmitted infections. The study came up with no useful information and was hidden for decades.
    http://www.philly.com/dailynews/nati..._revealed.html

Quote Originally Posted by termite View Post
    Some loonies are ok, just don't let them run countries....
    I think you have to be a bit of a loon to want to run a country, really.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

It's the background loons we have to worry about.....

Nessie's post is messing with my groove! How utterly disgusting that human beings can be treated like that!
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

Art imitates life. This is a cinematic gem of showing the audience what torture can look like. Scientific man washes his hands for 2 minutes (notice the clean towel) and keeps repeating the same question over and over. Hoffman even opens his mouth, seemingly voluntarily, without neediing a device to force his jaw....*and he doesn't bite off the doctor's finger when it has oil of clove. The torturer is also the savior.....Life can be that Simple: Relief or Discomfort. Choose.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Speaking of small towns MUSICALLY, there's really no such thing. Not now. We have internet and youtube and all that social "net" stuff that makes people feel like they not only know what others' lives are like, but as if they can know small town life and romanticize it, too.

Small towns are notorious for bullying. Regardless of what Johnny Cougar's lyrics say, he really couldn't be himself in a small town. Not if he was gay, or atheist, or had a flare for dangerous behavior. Not when the whole town knew who graduated from HS or went to college, who got Mary Sue pregnant, dropped out or smoked pot. Small towns have a way of weeding that behavior out by being discriminatory. Small towns have a way of driving artists and rebels out of town, or rejecting anyone who's "different". At least they used to. There aren't too many really small towns around any more. They either died or incorporated with the county seat. Or there was a movement of people from other small towns becoming too big, so they tried to move to another small town!

Boundaries are being broken every day. You may live in a "small town" but it's still a global world.

edit to munchie: YOU forget that I'm a midwestern gal, quite familiar with farming and all that. Don't tell Purdue University that they're educating the future hicks, rednecks and trailer trash of the future. It's not your father's ranching or agriculture anymore.
    This is seriously messing with my groove. For some reason, you seem to think the only worthwhile place to live is in an urban/suburban area. You think I romanticize small town, mid-western living. I think you ignore the downside of living in a huge city where you don't even know your neighbors!

As an example of the kind of bigots who live in BFE...I went to school with 4 openly gay people, 3 Japanese people, 3 black people, and too many religions (or non-religious people) to count! Did any of those people have a harder time than the rest of us...HELL NO! We accepted them, just like they were/are. Since leaving here, 1 of the gay men killed himself, in Pittsburgh, because he was ridiculed for being gay at work! (Oh yeah, I should also point out he was 1 of the Japanese students too.)

We have a number of nationally-known artists who live here, along with a couple of writers who have had their work published by nationally-known publishing houses. We also have a lady who does, exclusively, Indian-style beadwork. She also sells on a national basis. We have a few hippies, a few educated idiots, and a LOT of very dedicated people who keep food on tables all over the country.

No, Wyoming is NOT the only place that grows beef, corn, wheat, whatever. But we do have a huge industry in ranching/farming that can't be ignored! All I meant about it taking a special kind of person was that, if you live 75+ miles from the nearest town, you better be damned dedicated to the ranching life. It's not easy to live that far away from everyone! That's damned hard on anyone, but it seems to take a bigger toll on women than men. And no, ranching isn't "My Daddy's Ranching" anymore! It has joined the rest of the world in this century. Not only do a lot of ranchers have degrees in agriculture, they use computers and electronic devices to check crops. Even so, it's a damned hard profession, and it sure as shit isn't for just everyone. You have to LOVE what you do to do it!

Yes, it takes a lot of different people, living in a lot of different places, doing a lot of different kinds of jobs, to make a nation! If we, the mid-westerners, allow ourselves to be paved over and divided up into lots or ranchettes, we will be losing a vital part of what makes this nation!

Since the advent of the internet, most places are "global" anymore. That's fine! Personally, I love "seeing" people from all over the world, just at the click of my mouse! All the different personalities and all the different opinions and all the different "world" experiences!
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

Quote Originally Posted by oldmunchkin View Post
    This is seriously messing with my groove. For some reason, you seem to think the only worthwhile place to live is in an urban/suburban area. You think I romanticize small town, mid-western living. I think you ignore the downside of living in a huge city where you don't even know your neighbors!
    That's not quite what I said.

As an example of the kind of bigots who live in BFE...I went to school with 4 openly gay people, 3 Japanese people, 3 black people, and too many religions (or non-religious people) to count! Did any of those people have a harder time than the rest of us...HELL NO! We accepted them, just like they were/are. Since leaving here, 1 of the gay men killed himself, in Pittsburgh, because he was ridiculed for being gay at work! (Oh yeah, I should also point out he was 1 of the Japanese students too.)
    Gee, you knew a few people who didn't fit the norm. Years later you can still remember them as the 3 or 4 in different groups? That's small town living: you kept track.

We have a number of nationally-known artists who live here, along with a couple of writers who have had their work published by nationally-known publishing houses. We also have a lady who does, exclusively, Indian-style beadwork. She also sells on a national basis. We have a few hippies, a few educated idiots, and a LOT of very dedicated people who keep food on tables all over the country.

No, Wyoming is NOT the only place that grows beef, corn, wheat, whatever. But we do have a huge industry in ranching/farming that can't be ignored! All I meant about it taking a special kind of person was that, if you live 75+ miles from the nearest town, you better be damned dedicated to the ranching life. It's not easy to live that far away from everyone! That's damned hard on anyone, but it seems to take a bigger toll on women than men. And no, ranching isn't "My Daddy's Ranching" anymore! It has joined the rest of the world in this century. Not only do a lot of ranchers have degrees in agriculture, they use computers and electronic devices to check crops. Even so, it's a damned hard profession, and it sure as shit isn't for just everyone. You have to LOVE what you do to do it!
    You sound really defensive. Living 75 miles from anything in 2010 isn't quite like it used to be. We have cars now. And Super Walmarts. If you're in bumb fuck wherever you can still order things from all over the world (by phone or computer) and it's delivered to your doorstep or nearest PO. No, you don't have to ride your horse, and it doesn't come by pony express. Oh ho the Wells Fargo wagon comin' to town lost its flavor long before the Sears and Roebuck catalog did. Lookie there, I said that on my computer, and you read it on yours!

Yes, it takes a lot of different people, living in a lot of different places, doing a lot of different kinds of jobs, to make a nation! If we, the mid-westerners, allow ourselves to be paved over and divided up into lots or ranchettes, we will be losing a vital part of what makes this nation!
    Face it, the family farm may not be dead, but it can't compete with Big Ag. Unless things change a whole bunch, local farmers will do it as a labor of love, not a way to become land barons or millionaires.

Since the advent of the internet, most places are "global" anymore. That's fine! Personally, I love "seeing" people from all over the world, just at the click of my mouse! All the different personalities and all the different opinions and all the different "world" experiences!
    Sure, you love talking to them, hearing their music, until they go to eat a cow not raised in Wyoming. Then you use the internet to plead for your small town ranchers?

That's not quite what I said.
    That's the way I read it!

Gee, you knew a few people who didn't fit the norm. Years later you can still remember them as the 3 or 4 in different groups? That's small town living: you kept track.
    It's not too hard to keep track of the people I went to high school with, considering the entire student body population was around 200. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the idiot who was killed while surfing off the coast of Florida, during a hurricane a few years ago. He was from here too!

You sound really defensive. Living 75 miles from anything in 2010 isn't quite like it used to be. We have cars now. And Super Walmarts. If you're in bumb fuck wherever you can still order things from all over the world (by phone or computer) and it's delivered to your doorstep or nearest PO. No, you don't have to ride your horse, and it doesn't come by pony express. Oh ho the Wells Fargo wagon comin' to town lost its flavor long before the Sears and Roebuck catalog did. Lookie there, I said that on my computer, and you read it on yours!
    Sorry you think I only sound defensive. I AM defensive. Sure, transportation is better now, but 50 miles of dirt/gravel roads make for a loooooong trip to town! A trip to town, if it isn't to go to school, is a treat! Of course they have internet...if the fucking phone lines don't go down for some reason. (Yes, we still have above ground, strung on poles, phone lines out here!)

Face it, the family farm may not be dead, but it can't compete with Big Ag. Unless things change a whole bunch, local farmers will do it as a labor of love, not a way to become land barons or millionaires.
    I can honestly tell you I don't know a single rancher who went into the business to become rich! They all went into it because they honestly love working the soil and being around the livestock and living the kind of life that goes with all that! Sure, they have it easier in a lot of ways now, but trust me, they still are out there at 2AM, during calving/lambing season, checking their animals...and it is apt to be damned bitterly cold and snowing/sleeting/windy. And, no computer in the world can "pull" a calf!

Sure, you love talking to them, hearing their music, until they go to eat a cow not raised in Wyoming. Then you use the internet to plead for your small town ranchers?
    Once again...I know Wyoming is not the only place that raises animals and crops for food! But, if we lose the small town rancher/farmer, we are losing a large piece of our Americana! I am not the only one who feels that way...why do you think Willie Nelson and John Mellencamp and others put on FarmAid every year? To raise money to help the small, family farmer/rancher stay in business by bringing attention to the "corporate" farmers/ranchers taking over and making the family ranch a thing of the past!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

1) I'm not in charge of how you interpret things.
    2) Confirmed: small towns keep track of minority groups. ie it's best to "fit in" and not "stand out". How is that a good thing?
    3) Most cities have electric poles that get downed by storms. That's not unique to small towns. In fact, around here if some idiot rams into a pole and knocks it down, he may trip a substation, kill power to thousands of people, stall traffic that's run by stop lights, etc. Unlike one traffic light small towns, this causes great havoc.
    4) You make it sound like ranchers invented birthing calves. What're you gonna say when science can clone the suckers in a lab?
    5) I like all things Americana, you don't have to sell me on that. But your facts are messed up. Farm Aid had to be held largely because small farmers mortgaged their land (and homes) to buy the expensive machinery, to keep up with the big guys. When a new combine or thresher costs half a million bucks, and all the farmer has for leverage as the land itself, all it takes is a prolonged drought or flood or animal disease infestation (like Avian flu) to kill their business. When they can't pay the loan to the bank, the bank comes calling. Then the farmer has to either sell the property and all the machinery to pay the bank, or appeal to the community for help. Technology has strange consequences that way.....

1) No, but you are in charge of how you write them. From your postings, I got the impression that you think small town living is stupid and silly and should be eliminated.
    2) Uhm...no...just NO! We kind of tend to keep track of our friends, regardless of color or sexuality or religion, because we honestly care if Joe (who was white and straight, BTW) drowns while being an idiot! Or if Twila (white and straight) makes a good living at her flower shop. Or if Rita (who is white and lesbian) enjoyed her trip to Ireland. Or if Jay (who is black and straight) finds the cure for cancer, since he is a scientist specializing in finding new treatments for cancer. Just because I can remember their skin tones and care enough about them to find out if they have a girlfriend/boyfriend, doesn't mean I kept track because of their differences or sameness. It means I care about them!
    3) I know cities have electric poles. I also know a lot of the new(er) subdivisions have underground electric, phone, and cable lines. The big difference between a city stoplight going out and our 2 lights going out is...we aren't in a huge hurry to get to the fucking mall, so we take the time to treat it like a 4-way stop intersection...thus avoiding crashes!
    4) I didn't say ranchers invented birthing calves, I said no computer can pull a calf when the cow just can't quite get it born on her own. Hell, it happens to females of every species! The thing is, if it's 20 miles to the vet, the weather is horrid, and the roads are closed (or should be) then the rancher gets to take care of it. All the schooling in the world won't make a rancher any different here than the guy who quit in the 8th grade. He will still end up with his arm buried in places most people don't even want to think about!
    5) Bringing the plight of the small rancher/farmer into view of the public is a bad thing?
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

Besides, we have urban farming now. We can engineer other sources of protein, even using soy bean paste to make tofu to taste like beef or chicken. We have krab meat (who knows what that is) and salmon and catfish farms.

One thing we can't duplicate in the lab (just yet) is the chicken egg. When there are flu vaccination shortages, it's because growing the virus in chicken eggs and harvesting the antibody takes a long time.

Also, even urban folks are starting to raise chickens on city rooftops (instead of homing pigeons) for their eggs. Suburban dwellers are getting zoning exemptions to have a couple of hens to roost. We know what they eat because we feed them, when the vet saw them, all that stuff. It's part of the whole local food or slow food "movement". The massive egg recall gave that whole thing a boost in the arm.

What will Wyoming cattle ranchers do when the best tasting beef in the world is engineered in a lab?

2) Then why are you keeping track of minority race and sexual preferences? Friends are friends. I can understand gender, guy or girl, or skin tone (light or dark) but beyond that......only small towners keep track of whose Hawaiian or Guatemalan or whatever. The point is that power comes in numbers. When most your peers fit in "certain minority groups" it becomes silly to keep track.

3) We're not all going to the fricking mall ya know. Sure you've lived in large cities?

4) Pity the poor horse owners, huh. Or goats, sheep, pigs, maybe even pedigreed dog breeders? They're known to give birth in the middle of the night, breech, just like all mammals. Fact is, most breeding done now is by artificial insemination with the help of vet med, not "natural" mating.

5) see #1

2) Then why are you keeping track of minority race and sexual preferences? Friends are friends. I can understand gender, guy or girl, or skin tone (light or dark) but beyond that......only small towners keep track of whose Hawaiian or Guatemalan or whatever. The point is that power comes in numbers. When most your peers fit in "certain minority groups" it becomes silly to keep track.
    It is no more important than the fact that Renee has red hair. It is certainly something people notice, and it's an identifier. Hell, we had 8 or 9 Joe's in school at one time, so saying 1 of them is Japanese isn't any worse than saying 1 of them was an idiot! As far as sexual orientation, since we have a very small gay population in BFE, it's kind of hard not to notice. The people I know who are gay even identify others by saying "You know, Jim that lives with Ed." It's you who is making a big deal of it, not me.

3) We're not all going to the fricking mall ya know. Sure you've lived in large cities?
    Ok then...it takes a whopping 2 more minutes to get home, or the store, or the doctor's office, or the library! What I discovered when I lived in a city was...if you follow the car that just ran the red light, 8 out of 10 times, you will find yourself at the mall!

4) Pity the poor horse owners, huh. Or goats, sheep, pigs, maybe even pedigreed dog breeders? They're known to give birth in the middle of the night, breech, just like all mammals. Fact is, most breeding done now is by artificial insemination with the help of vet med, not "natural" mating.
    Horse owners, goat owners, sheep owners, and pig owners have all found themselves in that situation. It's not just cows that have trouble giving birth sometimes. If the choice is...help the cow or lose both the cow and calf, that can be quite an expensive loss. A loss that some ranchers can't afford! You do realize not all ranchers have huge ranches and large numbers of animals, don't you?

5) see #1
    Whatever!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

As far as sexual orientation, since we have a very small gay population in BFE, it's kind of hard not to notice.

Slight correction. You perceive it as a small population, but it's probably the same percentage in ALL groups. Just stands out more in smaller groups (small towns) when they do come out, because they're reluctant to come out when that can mean being bullied or shunned by their town's elders. It's also harder to come out as gay when there are fewer gays to actually go on dates with, dances or proms. By default they have fewer choices of mates in small towns.

Sure, I know ranchers value the breeder just as much as the spawn. Same reason guernseys aren't allowed to breed but they're kept lactating anyway, by milking them constantly----their milk is more valuable to humans than the baby cows they're meant to be nursing.

As far as sexual orientation, since we have a very small gay population in BFE, it's kind of hard not to notice.

Slight correction. You perceive it as a small population, but it's probably the same percentage in ALL groups. Just stands out more in smaller groups (small towns) when they do come out, because they're reluctant to come out when that can mean being bullied or shunned by their town's elders. It's also harder to come out as gay when there are fewer gays to actually go on dates with, dances or proms. By default they have fewer choices of mates in small towns.
    Having sat here for a few minutes thinking, I think we have 4 gay/lesbian couples and maybe 3 or 4 others who are not in a relationship. We also have about 15 bi-sexual people in town. NO one bullies or shuns them. NO one treats them any different than anyone else in town. (The only thing I can think of that's different is, 1 of the gay men and I play a game in the grocery store. We chase each other around with carts, all the while trying to get our groceries. It's hilarious, but it's also NOT a game I play with anyone else! Derek just happens to have an inner child in him that brings mine out! ) While it's true they have slimmer dating choices here, I would have to think it's apparent they want to be here, since they are all well old enough to decide where they want to live. They aren't blatant about their sexuality, but they don't hide it either!

Sure, I know ranchers value the breeder just as much as the spawn. Same reason guernseys aren't allowed to breed but they're kept lactating anyway, by milking them constantly----their milk is more valuable to humans than the baby cows they're meant to be nursing.
    I realize it's kind of hard to understand being so close to bankruptcy, but many small ranchers live that way every year. The loss of the breeder and/or the spawn could mean the difference in making the bank payment or not being able to make it. Sure, I realize almost everything can be genetically altered, or forced (as in the case of the milk producers) to achieve the results preferred, I just think some things should be pretty much left alone.
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

I would have to think it's apparent they want to be here, since they are all well old enough to decide where they want to live.
    Really? You're old enough too, yet you stay when there are no real future prospects for you. Sometimes people do things that aren't in their best interests because they don't feel many options are available.

As for some things being pretty much left alone? Ranchers wouldn't have much of a herd with that attitude, would they?

Really? You're old enough too, yet you stay when there are no real future prospects for you. Sometimes people do things that aren't in their best interests because they don't feel many options are available.

As for some things being pretty much left alone? Ranchers wouldn't have much of a herd with that attitude, would they?
    That's right! I stay here because I want to! I know you can't understand that, but I like it here. This is my home, as opposed to just the place I live!

Ranchers don't dabble in genetic alteration of cattle...scientists and vets do that!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

Quote Originally Posted by oldmunchkin View Post
    That's right! I stay here because I want to! I know you can't understand that, but I like it here. This is my home, as opposed to just the place I live!

Ranchers don't dabble in genetic alteration of cattle...scientists and vets do that!
    If you keep telling yourself that, does it really work to make it true? In your mind, that is.

Because you've also told me you have no future in that small town. People who matter, yes. But they can't help you create your future.

And what rancher thinks they can ignore vet med and still keep their livelihood moving forward?

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    If you have to destroy people, can't you just kill them, and not have these camps prolong the procedure? ffs
    I wonder if the South Koreans still want a state with monsters like these.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I wonder if the South Koreans still want a state with monsters like these.
    In the aftermath of WW2 many of the SS monsters, and the people who were in turn monstrous to German monsters, were assimilated into society. Want is another matter, of course, and from what I understand many young South Koreans don't really want to unify the nations. But the question remains, if we are to do the Right Thing and remove the Kim dynasty, what will be done with the nation gone insane?
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

In the aftermath of WW2 many of the SS monsters, and the people who were in turn monstrous to German monsters, were assimilated into society. Want is another matter, of course, and from what I understand many young South Koreans don't really want to unify the nations. But the question remains, if we are to do the Right Thing and remove the Kim dynasty, what will be done with the nation gone insane?
    The SS made up a tiny portion of the German population. These kind of monsters make up perhaps 10-20% of North Koreans, and the rest have been cowed into submission. Can you even imagine trying to integrate either group into a modern state or a modern economy? I think the one trillion dollar estimate of fixing the place is overly optimistic.

Yeah, probably. I'm not saying there are any easy fixes.

Didn't Kim Jon Il just appoint his son as a general? Does it do any good to talk about the 10-20% who make up the monsters, or would it be better to appeal to the other 80-90% of sane people?

I don't think those other 80-90% are sane after six decades of brainwashing, famine, and abuse.

Moving right along. My groove is being messed up by a really sweet guy in Holland, who had his wisdom teeth extracted. Maybe it's a language barrier and I didn't really understand, but he rode his bike to and fro. Then he had some GI upset and we got to talking.....about how different our systems are. He had *minimal* post-op instructions, only local injections, and didn't know what Dry Socket meant. He was sucking on straws and taking *large* doses of Ibuprofen on an empty stomach as his pain killer, and couldn't figure out what was going on.

Then we got to talking about corrective orthodontia, and he mentioned something he called "outboard", but then sent me a picture and it was HEAD GEAR! I don't think Americans have used head gear for at least a decade, maybe more. Our orthodontists are very sophisticated in the geometry, cosmetics, and science of the growing and changing youth jaw/teeth. Very impressive actually. I felt sort of sorry for my Dutchman friend. He shouldn't have to learn about oral surgery, dry sockets, or pain meds that can chew up your gut---by chatting with an American on the intarweb.

Last edited by GGT; 10-02-2010 at 10:56 PM. Reason: *

If you have to destroy people, can't you just kill them, and not have these camps prolong the procedure? ffs
    They don't want to destroy them, just break them. They want obedient, loving of Dear Leader, brain-washed slave laborers.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Lor View Post
    Thats the thing, no beer was near nor any liquids for that matter. I can't be bothered to spend hours on the phone to a HP support desk and what's worse is that you can't understand the fuckers!
    That's one of the reasons i bought my laptop through my university - there's a help desk on campus where you can simply drop by and have it fixed. And if they can;t fix it right away, they put your hard drive in a replacement laptop. Excellent service
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

It's fucking freezing here, and the apartment manager went on vacation, so my air conditioner won't get taken out until Monday! Plus, I'm just sick and tired of being sick and tired. I am trying to stay up until my midnight pill, so I don't miss it again...or wake up at 2AM and can't go back to sleep!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    That's one of the reasons i bought my laptop through my university - there's a help desk on campus where you can simply drop by and have it fixed. And if they can;t fix it right away, they put your hard drive in a replacement laptop. Excellent service
    I took it to a computer shop around my neck of the woods that people rave about, they confirmed that the GPU chipset is the blame and it's a HP error not my own.

Does anyone think it would be worth while asking for some advice on the matter? The reason i ask is because the problem seems to have started 3/4 years ago and my best mate has had this laptop for around 2/3 years, with that said surely there must be some breach of some UK law regarding the sale of goods? Anything to give me leverage against HP would be handy as i'm sure they'll try all sorts.