Page 9 of 189 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: What's messing with your Groove?

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    ... loooonelyyyy... i'm mister lonely...
    Group Hug!

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    Go fuck yourself with a cactus.

Oh man. That cracks me up.

Cursing is so ... creative.

I love you people. Every single one of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmunchkin View Post
    WAH...WAH...WAH

3 inches ain't shit! You is a spoiled puppy! Most years, by this time, I have 3 to 4 feet of snow!
    Fine, that means your properties, transport etc are all built to withstand it. We're not, the unusual snow we've had this year has caused massive problems for me personally - which if we were living in an area used to it we'd have the ability to withstand it.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Fine, that means your properties, transport etc are all built to withstand it. We're not, the unusual snow we've had this year has caused massive problems for me personally - which if we were living in an area used to it we'd have the ability to withstand it.
    Still surprises me how 'we' can't be prepared for the snow we're getting at the moment. Ok, we may not have had that much snow for a while, but it's not like we never had a couple of inches of snow in winter. I remember having to ride my bike to school even with a fairly thick pack of snow having fallen. And at the time we were not living in a city, so that sometimes meant getting off and walking a bit.

Still don't get that problem GGT has with her roof. Is that about the stuff she put on the thaw the snow? It's working but the water can't go anywhere so now it just goes into the roof?
    Congratulations America

Had to spend the last 6 hours doing 16 problems like this one (along with graphs and descriptions):

3Yt+1 + Yt = 1 Y0 = 1; Yt+1 = -1/3(Yt) + 1/3; Yt = 1(-1/3t) + 1/3((1–-1/3t)/(1+1/3));
    Yt = 1(-1/3t) + 1/4(1 – -1/3t); Yt = 1(-1/3t) + 1/4 – 1/4(-1/3t); Yt = 3/4(-1/3t) + 1/4;
    y* = B/(1-A); y* = 1/3/(1+1/3) = 1/4; 1 ≠ 1/4

And here I was thinking that I wasn't doing a degree in math.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Aww, is linear algebra hurting someone's brain?
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    Aww, is linear algebra hurting someone's brain?
    Calculus is evil (the algebra I don't mind). . Plus I made a small mistake, which took me 2 hours to fix.

This is why you should never make mistakes.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Calculus is evil. . Plus I made a small mistake, which took me 2 hours to fix.
    You edited but I'm gonna reply to what I saw because I'm a whore like that

Derivatives are fun, and easy; there's no reason to fear the Nabla! It's the integrals that fuck people's lives
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

You edited but I'm gonna reply to what I saw because I'm a whore like that

Derivatives are fun, and easy; there's no reason to fear the Nabla! It's the integrals that fuck people's lives
    It's not that it's hard (managed to figure out how to do it in about an hour); it's the fact that making a small mistake at any point screws up everything from that point onward, and finding that point is not fun. The only reason I even figured out I made a mistake is because the graphs didn't look correct.

It's not that it's hard (managed to figure out how to do it in about an hour); it's the fact that making a small mistake at any point screws up everything from that point onward, and finding that point is not fun. The only reason I even figured out I made a mistake is because the graphs didn't look correct.
    To quote the greatest mathematician I had the privilege to learn from, it helps to know what you are doing

Neasden.

I woke up in Neasden.

The most horribbly horrible place in London.

Why did I end up there? How did I end up there?
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And here I was thinking that I wasn't doing a degree in math.
    I was planning to teach middle school math, and I was required to take up through Calc 3. Fuck man, even the AP highschoolers don't go that far.

You are such a worthless excuse of a human being it's not even funny

They have taught you to shave, to clean yourself and to tie your shoelaces

Little else are you capable of

Mathematics is, fundamentally, a discipline that is a way of thinking.

To learn math you must do math

Just like physics

That a degenerate, spineless weakling such as yourself dreamt of teaching mathematics, to defenseless children

It frightens and angers me

Time and again you have shown yourself to be nothing but a vile, utterly useless creature

I suppose I ought be thankful that, at least, your lack of intellect and fortitude kept you from becoming an authority over children

But nonetheless the entire prospect of you, and people like yourself, becoming teachers, the fountainheads of the next generation

It is the most sickening thought I have had in ages

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Neasden.

I woke up in Neasden.

The most horribbly horrible place in London.

Why did I end up there? How did I end up there?
    the answer will be all over facebook by tomorrow
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I suppose I ought be thankful that, at least, your lack of intellect and fortitude kept you from becoming an authority over children
    Actually it was the money (1 of 3). I was already putting in time at public classrooms by the time I picked county work over the public school system. The course work was never an issue for me.

It is the most sickening thought I have had in ages
    that must be hyperbole, you have more sickening thoughts than ANYONE i know [of]
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    that must be hyperbole, you have more sickening thoughts than ANYONE i know [of]
    Sickening to myself, or to you?

My dryer, no longer content with merely eating my socks, has now moved on to jeans.

I know I washed them. I know I moved them from the washer to the dryer.

And now they are gone.

Also, apparently the weather gurus are predicting more snow tonight. I live in Georgia, damn it, not the frozen wasteland to the north. Georgia's one redeeming quality is that I can count the number of days below freezing without having to take off my stripey fuzzy socks - and this year that has been totally trashed.

Quote Originally Posted by BalticSailor View Post
    A little bird told me that I'm, essentially, fucked. Crossroads, complicated choices, all that jazz. It's not something I want to discuss, really. Suffice to say there's a slight chance that everything's gonna be ok, and a huge potential for fucking up one or another part of my life.
    Well...
    This is no longer relevant.
    Carthāgō dēlenda est

Quote Originally Posted by BalticSailor View Post
    Well...
    This is no longer relevant.
    Poor sailorboy.

I love you.

Thanks. I appreciate that.
    Carthāgō dēlenda est

So let me get this straight. It's okay for you to whine about snow, even though it happens regularly there, but God fucking forbid anyone else dare to complain about an unusually large quantity of snow anywhere else.

Go fuck yourself with a cactus.
    Love that image!

What I was trying to say, obviously not well, was that a little snow is really nothing compared to what many other places get on a regular basis. Hell yeah I bitch about it...I live in snow country. I shovel that shit regularly. I wade thru unshoveled sidewalks to get to the store. I get to deal with walking on the ice, in the bitter cold, with negative wind-chill temps, on a regular basis!

I wasn't trying to diminish your pain of having snow. I seriously understand why you are hating it. I was just trying to point out that it's all in the perspective! Sorry to have pissed you off!

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Yes, this is true, to some extent, altho there have been years that we were completely fucked, removal budget(s) running out, buildings collapsing, people falling and getting hurt, people dying from the cold. Yes, I can definitely understand why it's causing problems for anyone who isn't used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Still surprises me how 'we' can't be prepared for the snow we're getting at the moment. Ok, we may not have had that much snow for a while, but it's not like we never had a couple of inches of snow in winter. I remember having to ride my bike to school even with a fairly thick pack of snow having fallen. And at the time we were not living in a city, so that sometimes meant getting off and walking a bit.

Still don't get that problem GGT has with her roof. Is that about the stuff she put on the thaw the snow? It's working but the water can't go anywhere so now it just goes into the roof?
    I think it all has to do with lack of preparation based on the previous 4 or 5 years. Everyone gets complacent, and forgets that snow can fall any place.

I think that is probably the problem with GGT's roof. After the snow/ice melts, the drains can't get rid of it because they are buried in the snow!
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

GGT has a huge honking bow window. BOW window; it's a bay window that curves, they were the latest rage in the suburban 60's design. The top is underneath the soffit fascia/eave gutter. The bottom is set on stone. Even tho all the individual windows are good Andersen double-glass, they're old enough to not be super efficient against heat loss. As the room warms and heat travels up and out, it's melting the ice and snow on the soffit and gutters. Since there's so much snow (and built up ice) the layer closest to the window is melting and traveling along its easiest route---the window trim. It also seeps into the porous stone, and melts again when it hits warm pockets.

The contractor drilled holes in the upper bow that's wood, and water came pouring out like a faucet But at least he relieved the pressure and backed-up water damming. Then we closed the heat vents to the room, turned on the heat tape on the roof (I'd turned it off thinking, wrongly, that it was part of the problem), and turned the thermostat down to about 55 degrees (since I was going to be gone).

He fashioned some cool temporary gutter thing from aluminum, put some rigid insulation underneath, nailed it to the top of the frame, with the lowest point at the middle where the joints meet, with a gap for water drips to fall into a big plastic bin. It stayed dry for 2 days now.

But when I came home I had to turn the heat up....so we'll see. No more ice is in the gutters now, and I can see water moving along the gutters where the heat tape is, but not sure if it's getting frozen in the downspouts where the heat stops.

Not even sure if this makes sense, it's hard to describe, but it IS messing with my groove.

My dryer, no longer content with merely eating my socks, has now moved on to jeans.
    What are you doing here? Kill it now before the others learn of this!
    . . .

Just tried to sign up to a retro disco-tastic night this friday in Clapham, and I don't fit the entry criteria! I'm too fucking OLD!

25-35s only.

Disco! It's music from my generation for moomin's sake.

GAH.

I feel just generally unhappy at the moment. Life is boring to the point that I only want to sleep.
    Congratulations America

Someone stole my son's skateboard.

that sucks.

Now, granted, they leave them sitting in a chair by the front door outside. Her rather battered skateboard is still there. His is gone.

So now he's sick and pissed off that his skateboard was stolen.

Hmmm ... makes you wanna get all Lewk on their thieving little arses, dunt it.