If I was rural, I'd use my handy dandy chainsaw and let it season, then have a huge bonfire. We only had smallish limbs fall during Hurricane Irene and we cut back a few smaller limbs last month too. I can't imagine having to cut huge limbs without help though.

Don't get me started on those tree companies that are subcontracted out by the power company. They are contracted to cut only around the top power line, and so leave branches tangled around the cable and other lines. Stupid, because if there's a wind storm a tree is going to pull ALL of them down because they left a weird-shaped tree behind. I'd honestly love it if they just cut down trees anywhere near the power lines/poles. (It would be better if they'd bury all of the lines, but that will be awhile and even then there are some areas here where that would not be a good idea!) As much as I love trees, it pisses me off to see one hacked away to the point it looks ridiculous, with lines through the middle of it. Just tell people to plant trees away from the power poles or face losing their tree in a few years!

It's 45F right now. Brr! But at least it's more appropriate weather for Fall.