Page 11 of 189 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: What's messing with your Groove?

Quote Originally Posted by termite View Post
    My Nanna died of cancer last week, she was sick for a long time so in a sense her passing is a relief.

But she is the last of my grandparents to die so it marks the end of a generation of my family on both sides.

She was a good strong woman.

My Nanna died of cancer last week, she was sick for a long time so in a sense her passing is a relief.

But she is the last of my grandparents to die so it marks the end of a generation of my family on both sides.

Sorry to hear it
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Very

I'm so sorry to hear this! The end of a generation is a sad thing indeed.
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

I'm so sorry for your loss, termite.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way...

Weather man says a "snow hurricane" is due to hit the east coast tomorrow. Getting tired of this winter. Hurry Spring!

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Weather man says a "snow hurricane" is due to hit the east coast tomorrow. Getting tired of this winter. Hurry Spring!
    Ditto on that GGT. At first, the snow made me smile, but now i'm tired of being cold.

Mom told me I should wear my raincoat. I said nah, I'll be on the train mostly.

Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

My "little" boy has strep throat.

I must be evil, because I laughed my ass off at the train video!

Youtube has deleted the original RickRoll video We have come to the end of an era here folks.

EDIT:
    False alarm, google admits it was a mistake, the world is how it should be.

I've been informed that there will be no new projects at work until at least April. We have had no new projects since December. Due to the lack of projects, I have additionally been informed that the company I work for only has enough money to continue paying me for the next 3 weeks at 40 hours per week, spread out however I want. If they get the projects in April, all is fine, and I only miss a week's pay. If not, I'm out of a job until a time at which they can continue paying me full time. I'm the last person to be employed there, so I am the first to go, and the smallest budget cut.
    . . .

Sorry Illusions, that stinks.

Due to my job still being severely understaffed and the apparent illness of a co-worker or one of her children, I just had to cancel all of my plans for tonight. I hope we get the three new people soon because I really don't want to work the entire weekend again for the fourth week in a row.

And thanks to my job ruining these plans, I'm missing out on a slim few opportunities to hang out with my friend before he deploys to Afghanistan, where he'll be until October, so I'm really hoping I don't have to work all weekend.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Had an atherome removed from the back of my head this morning. A blood pressure of 110:60, 4 injections of anesthetics and the procedure itself made the whole thing quite interesting.

But the little bugger is finally out - 3 by 1.5 by 1.5 centimeters. The threads will be removed next friday, which is also the date by which I can wash my hair properly again and get a haircut.

And, yes, I always have such a low blood pressure in the morning. The final confirmation of that fact was when a friend and I went to endurance sports on a saturday morning.
    I was the only guy among a 100 women.

And I also was the only guy forced to lie down in a corner after thirty minutes.

I'm not quite sure my male ego will ever recover.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Airport is doing their annual car and property auction next month. They even have a 1995 240SX with a clean carfax!

but I have to work because the auction is during teen tech week, and I have to run one of the game tournaments at the library.

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Had an atherome removed from the back of my head this morning.
    WTF is an atherome?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Maybe he was going for atheroma
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

WTF is an atheroma?
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    WTF is an atheroma?
    And here I thought you were the master of the English language

–noun, pathology.
    a sebaceous cyst.
    a mass of yellowish fatty and cellular material that forms in and beneath the inner lining of the arterial walls.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Comfortable with English usage and grammar maybe.

This language has the largest vocabulary of any on the planet however, and a sizeable portion of that vocabulary pertains to science and scientific nomenclature, of which I have no formal training beyond high school.

~

A cyst eh? Better out than in.

Atheroma sounds more ominous than sebaceous cyst. BP 110/60 isn't "low".

It's snowing AGAIN. sigh, guess it's better than an earthquake.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Atheroma sounds more ominous than sebaceous cyst. BP 110/60 isn't "low".
    Systolic maybe, but diastolic is indeed a bit low.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Dattu's washing machine is insanely fast.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    Dattu's washing machine is insanely fast.
    I bet he's popular with the ladies.

Apparently, suggesting a co-worker remove his head from his ass before talking to me is frowned upon.

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Systolic maybe, but diastolic is indeed a bit low.
    Who told you that?

The machine i operate at work seems to be broken

BTW, my BP is about 100/60 and according to the checkup doctor ad the blood donation organisation that is low (but not too low)
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

There is snow falling from my sky.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

I just walked away. Some guy at work said something along the lines of: but how would the planet look in a couple of billion years. I said, very hot because of the sun and all.

He said (and was dead serious): "We can't even predict the weather in a week time and I'm supposed to believe scientists can predict ..."

I just walked away.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

You have to dude. There is nothing else you can do.

I used to sit next to a quiet and religious fella at work up until around 2 years ago. He's still part of the team but now leads a different sector of the business so our paths no longer cross so much.

On our one and only brief discussion on the matter, and this was when I first discovered he was in fact a creationist, we were talking about the discovery of one of the earlier forms of mankind, along the lines of Lucy.

Conversation went something like this;
    He started off scornfully, after reading the article "as if that has anything to do with who we are!"
    "You don't believe mammals have common ancestry?" I asked.
    "No, of course not" he replied. I'm a little shocked at this, having worked with this guy for at least 3 years at this point. I knew he was Christian, but ...
    "So where did we come from?" I asked, intrigued.
    "I believe in what the bible tells us. God created us."
    "In ... six days?" I asked, wanting to know if he was YEC or OEC, but suspected I already knew the answer if he believed the bible to be, ahem, gospel.
    "Yup" he replied.
    "The earth has only been around for approximately 6,000 years, then?" I asked.
    "That's what biblical scholars tell us, yes"
    "But ... but ... carbon dating tells us the earth to be far, far older than that!" I replied. "Carbon dating is not a disputed science".
    "I know it isn't", he replied.

I could go no further. You can't argue against cognitive dissonance like that.

~

We like and respect each other still and are friends. I know his wife (equally creationist) and like her too.

We just don't ever discuss this or any related topic, because it will go nowhere. He does occasionally call me monkey-boy though.
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 03-03-2010 at 08:57 AM.

Heh. I know the situation. Had a binger some time ago at friends of the girlfriend. Met them a couple of times, into hard rock, big drinkers, overall good people. So we were invited for dinner and a couple of drinks. And some more drinks. When the guy suddenly turns to me and goes: "So, you don't believe in God eh?".

Buzz kill! To have my revenge I explained in explicit detail why I didn't believe. Considering the amount of alcohol and me being unprepared I did a good job of it too, I guess because of all the i-practice. The guy just hears me out and then says as a rebuttal to my extended, non-offensive, carefully worded (they be friends after all, and I don't want to insult them) explanation.: "I think it takes more believe to be an atheist than a Christian". And looks at me all smug.

Time for a piss, getting another beer and definitely a conversation change on return.
    Last edited by Ziggy Stardust; 03-03-2010 at 10:56 AM.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London