Page 172 of 189 FirstFirst ... 72122162170171172173174182 ... LastLast
Results 5,131 to 5,160 of 5648

Thread: What's messing with your Groove?

Flixy, patio gardening can be a tricky thing. If you want lush greenery and vibrant color in just one growing season, annuals are the best bet. If you have a naked wall, try putting up a lattice (can even prop it up if drilling violates your lease) and hang pots filled with trailing annuals. They will "cover" the lattice as they grow, and eventually make the wall a living canvas. Can hang some votive candles in the gaps, that looks really nice at night.

FYI, annuals in pots need water almost daily, and a fertilizer regime too, but the results can be fantastic. Happy planting!

Whatever happened to "use it up, wear it out, make it do"?

We used to wear clothes until they got frayed or had holes. We'd mend and patch them first, then we'd cut off the hems and sleeves and turn them into new things, like cut-off shorts or sleeveless sweatshirts or denim purses. Scraps were used as rags for all sorts of things. Toe-less cotton socks were especially good for cleaning because they could be worn like a mitt/glove.

Maybe I'm dating myself by saying this....but I can't believe people actually pay a premium for new "distressed" jeans, or denim cut-off frayed shorts. It's also hard to understand why people BUY cleaning rags and throw them out after just one use...and then complain about our waste problems and push for re-cycling. Hello?

Not really a groove, but could use some adult input either way. So basically I am newly educated as a physiotherapist. I am currently in a one year intern program, mandatory to everyone taking this education. Looking for jobs is hard, especially because I am moving to the capital city, where usually those with a lot of experience get prioritized in interviews.

HOWEVER, I have somehow gotten myself in a position where I might land a job. The issue is, though, the job is not really fitted for someone brand fresh. I will be responsible in a private company that got nurses, doctors, home service, cleaning etc. to be the one and only physiotherapist. That means all responsibility will be on me, and I won't have anyone to spar with, yet alone learn from. I will also be getting quite a lot to do. I will be responsible for building the physio branding of the company, I will be made to teach home service in healthy ways of moving during their work, I will have groups of patients on courses. In addition to driving out to aid patients at their home address. These are kinda wealthy patients who pay significantly for the service, so a lot is expected. Another thing is, since this is a small subregion of the company, I might have to also sometimes do work outside my education, like cleaning and maybe attend to bleeding wounds and such.

So yeah, essentially this is how it goes. I feel mildly too inexperienced for this job, but I probably can't expect to get a better option anytime soon, even if at all. Maybe it's a case of overwhelming responsibility, but it might not be as difficult once I actually get a shot at it.
    Tomorrow is like an empty canvas that extends endlessly, what should I sketch on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kazuha Vinland View Post
    Not really a groove, but could use some adult input either way. So basically I am newly educated as a physiotherapist. I am currently in a one year intern program, mandatory to everyone taking this education. Looking for jobs is hard, especially because I am moving to the capital city, where usually those with a lot of experience get prioritized in interviews.

HOWEVER, I have somehow gotten myself in a position where I might land a job. The issue is, though, the job is not really fitted for someone brand fresh. I will be responsible in a private company that got nurses, doctors, home service, cleaning etc. to be the one and only physiotherapist. That means all responsibility will be on me, and I won't have anyone to spar with, yet alone learn from. I will also be getting quite a lot to do. I will be responsible for building the physio branding of the company, I will be made to teach home service in healthy ways of moving during their work, I will have groups of patients on courses. In addition to driving out to aid patients at their home address. These are kinda wealthy patients who pay significantly for the service, so a lot is expected. Another thing is, since this is a small subregion of the company, I might have to also sometimes do work outside my education, like cleaning and maybe attend to bleeding wounds and such.

So yeah, essentially this is how it goes. I feel mildly too inexperienced for this job, but I probably can't expect to get a better option anytime soon, even if at all. Maybe it's a case of overwhelming responsibility, but it might not be as difficult once I actually get a shot at it.
    As described, it doesn't seem you have much to lose by taking the job. If it doesn't work out, for whatever reason, you are no worse off. But if it does work out, to whatever extend, you will have gained a lot.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

You could like the challenge.
    Congratulations America

If it's a small region if the company, does that mean it's part of a bigger company? Perhaps you can ask for regular coaching/sparring sessions with someone experienced from another branch?

It does sound like a challenge, but that's also a great way to learn fast.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Take the job, make sure you get a salary commensurate to the work you'll be doing and that you have the option to renegotiate in 6 months if the salary is lower than it should be or 12 months even if it seems all right, make sure your primary responsibilities are clearly laid out in writing so that jerkoffs aren't tempted to exploit you, and keep an eye out for opportunities both at this place and elsewhere. I understand your apprehension, and burnout is obviously a thing even in the world's happiest country, but it sounds like a good opportunity and even the most likely worst case scenario is that you get a lot of experience that will help you get a better job in 6-12 months. Best of luck mate
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Thanks everyone. Reflecting upon your replies, I guess you're right that I don't really have anything to lose by taking the job. It's really rare to lose a license by malpractice, unless you do something you know is largely unethical. Losing a license due to inexperience / lack of ideal decision making is very unlikely, as far as I know.

I will definitely do as Aimless says, be a bit stingy about the contract. I will send it to the physio union, so a lawyer can look over it. I have two bachelor degrees, and this is a job with a lot of responsibility, so I won't agree just to any salary. Putting up for renegotiation down the road is also clever, I know. I am hoping to get close to 60k - 65k USD a year, but will settle for less if I get a better feeling about my work tasks and work load.

Flixy, yes, it is part of a much bigger Swedish company. There might actually be someone I could consult with, so I'll keep that thought in mind. I don't know how much goodwill I'll receive though, as whoever is guiding me, won't be paid to do it. ��
    Tomorrow is like an empty canvas that extends endlessly, what should I sketch on it?

I have 6 months to decide if I'll renew my apartment lease, or move. The new management company is horrible, but not bad enough to force a move. However, my son that lives/works locally is considering a move to another state for professional/career reasons. That would be great for him, and I encourage that, but it puts me in a bind.

I'd be a 4 or 6 hour drive from either one of my sons, not something that makes sense as I age. (I learned that when my mother moved to Florida, and it was a huge pain in the ass when she got sick, needed surgery, or was hospitalized.) I want to live close to at least one son for pragmatic reasons, so that means I will have to move. But where and when is up for grabs. It's nerve wracking. I'm feeling anxious, worried, and a bit scared.

Hmm the considerations are serious enough and I think it makes sense that you you want to close to family. But., unless you are expecting major health problems very soon. What's wrong with renewing for a year and wait for your son to decide where his career should take him?

My advice : don't feel rushed because you think you need to decide fast.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    My advice : don't feel rushed because you think you need to decide fast.
    Thanks One weird thing about aging is that so many things can happen in just 6 short months. Especially health-related problems. I'm not expecting major health problems any time soon.....but who does? It just makes me feel uncomfortable that my closest relative would be an older sister who lives a 2 hour drive away, and she's got her own health problems, and takes care of her fragile 90-yr-old mother-in-law to boot.

I'm just venting my worries and trying to be proactive. I'll probably renew my lease, but pay a bit extra to have a 6-month contract. That would give me more time to see how things pan out, and *if* I decide to move, it won't be in the middle of winter.

Cancer.

Cancer is messing with my groove.

In May I was admitted to hospital with severe abdominal pain. I had all the scans and they found a massive tumor in my bowel, and that the cancer had spread to my liver and lymph nodes. Stage 4 stuff. I've had surgery to remove the tumor, but I started chemo last Thursday to attack it elsewhere, which is frickin' horrible.

It's in a severe state and I'm not be treated for a cure. I'm 37 and otherwise very fit and healthy; I had absolutely no idea, but I must have had it for several years.

The odds are against me. If I'm here in 12 months I will have done well. Without chemo I'd be looking at about 6 months. I'm going to fight it though. Like a bitch I'm going to fight it. I'm not ready, and I want to see my girls grow up.

Just wanted to let you know. I'll be around until I'm no longer around - just in case you wonder why I suddenly stop arguing with RB about Brexit.

That's horrible news. I'm for the odds being with you.
    Congratulations America

That's awful, gogo. I'll be think of you.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Very sorry to hear that mate. Be keeping you and your family in my thoughts
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Very sorry to hear that, good luck with the chemo.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

That's terrible. Kick cancer's ass.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Aye. Good fortune to you and your family!
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by gogobongopop View Post
    Cancer.

In May I was admitted to hospital with severe abdominal pain. I had all the scans and they found a massive tumor in my bowel, and that the cancer had spread to my liver and lymph nodes. Stage 4 stuff. I've had surgery to remove the tumor, but I started chemo last Thursday to attack it elsewhere, which is frickin' horrible.

It's in a severe state and I'm not be treated for a cure. I'm 37 and otherwise very fit and healthy; I had absolutely no idea, but I must have had it for several years.

The odds are against me. If I'm here in 12 months I will have done well. Without chemo I'd be looking at about 6 months. I'm going to fight it though. Like a bitch I'm going to fight it. I'm not ready, and I want to see my girls grow up.

Just wanted to let you know. I'll be around until I'm no longer around - just in case you wonder why I suddenly stop arguing with RB about Brexit.
    I lost my dad to colon-rectal cancer. And my mom fought throat cancer for 5+ years before she got the upper hand. A few things I noticed that a lot of people don't talk about or warn you about:

Chemo is cold, and it gets worse as you get weaker. Bring blankets and lots of socks.
    Get your shit in order NOW. Its not easy to do but you will notice that as time goes on your tolerance for annoyances and your attention span is going to shorten.
    Decide whats to happen afterwards and make sure your family, and anyone thats involved, knows. Research? Organ donation if possible? Cadaver farm? The window for a lot of stuff is very very small.
    You decide when its time to go and again talk to your family about it, they need prepared for it as much as you do.

but remember, this is all about you now. fuck the small stuff.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    What do they say? Prepare for the worst but hope for the best?
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Cancer.

I'm so sorry that you're going thru this, gogo! But like you said -- you're young and otherwise fit and healthy -- which means "the odds" might actually be in your favor. Perhaps not for a full cure, but for several more years of life (managing the cancer), so you can see your girls grow up.

Hold tight to hope, and keep fighting!

Kinda weird to see gogo's post, while I'm missing my own dad, who died 40 years ago today. He had been sick for such a long time, most of my childhood, and had so many surgeries (to remove organs) and blood transfusions....the doctors didn't think he'd live to see his 40th birthday, but he defied their predictions. It wasn't cancer, but it was just as devastating. He lived without a stomach, spleen, parts of his pancreas, and a majority of his small intestine -- all surgically removed, back in the 60's. He was a medical miracle, and one of the first to be diagnosed with Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome, long before MEN-1 was a known condition.

I can now appreciate that he endured his medical maladies, when the medical community had no cure, and barely a treatment regime, because he had grit, tenacity, and hope. He lived long enough to see his girls grow up. I wish he could have lived longer, and known his grandsons, but that just wasn't possible.

I hope my dad's story gives you some hope and optimism, and puts energy into your personal fight, gogo.

Cancer.

Just saw this, I'm so sorry for you and I wish you the very, very best treatment possible. Best of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Sorry to hear it, gogo
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

gogo
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Sorry to hear it gogo. Best of luck to you.
    Carthāgō dēlenda est

Cancer can fuck right off.
    There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame

Cancer is a ugly face, for sure. Wish you all the best, gogo.

My next issue sorta pales in comparison, but does offer me sadness nonetheless. My 5 year relationship with my girlfriend appears to be nearing an end. We have too many difficulties bridging the gaps between us. She has a big family, where she considers it her primary wish to take care of all of it. To such an extent that she rules out having kids, since it would impede on her freedom to visit her grandparents as much. Her life style is such that vacation to her, is days spent fixing and renovating inside and outside. Whereas I consider a holiday to be perfect when you can do jack all for an entire weekend, she feels as if she is literally rotting away if she is inoccupied a mark past 4 hours.

Add a toxic mix of her having set things in her way, reacting with sourness and anger, if things are suggested otherwise, I just can't seem to deal with that.

I am by no means faultless myself. I have vastly below average energy levels. I rarely last at parties, I usually find myself bored to death during prolonged breakfasts and dinners, I spend way too much time on computers and TV, YouTube, Twitch and the likes. I can't renovate for shit, and lack in seemingly a few adult fashions. I accept that.

But what has crossed our minds at the current point, is that even if all my weaknesses were remedied, we would still want two completely different paths, and have completely atypical interests. It took 5 years to even remotely figure it out, woah. Or maybe not. Maybe we did know about it all along, but now before moving it together, things have tensed up and we are starting to enact and talk about those seemingly unsolvable issues.

Cancer.

Sorry to hear.
    I know it will be difficult for the family too.

I have so far survived a stage 4b cancer, was 35 when diagnosed.
    I fear one factor why I didn't discover it early was becasue I was a man in my best years; I was in a very bad shape when I got in, coughing blood.

Still, I got lucky compared to what I think you are writting, in the beginning they thought it could be a lung cancer (I fainted on those news) but a few weeks later it was Hodgkins lymphoma
    (a considered very treatable (pretty rare) blood cancer - ?I don't like the word curable?, but it was very spread => ~12 cm tumor, bone marrow involvement etc.).
    Since then I have had a relaps and a stem cell too.

But I have done the preparations listening to Billy Idols - Dancing with myself, so I understand those parts.
    Letters and videos to the kids, fix the economy for the family etc.
    Rest in the thoughts, nothing to prove. On my end I WILL be grateful, give more, expect less in return.

Keep us updated if you want.