Page 107 of 189 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117157 ... LastLast
Results 3,181 to 3,210 of 5648

Thread: What's messing with your Groove?

So, to go get my driver's license reinstated I have to have: an original birth certificate, a valid picture ID, proof of residency, and proof of social security! Ok then, why does my friend who is a Colombian national only have to show his Colombian passport to get the same license? America is rapidly becoming a "show your papers" country!
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

Hi there, munchkin. That's a Wyoming-specific DMV complaint. The US has used birth certificates and SSN for decades, for all sorts of identification. Thank The Birther movement and anti-immigrant people for expecting more.

Thats not a state specific complaint. Thats part of the standards with the Real ID Act. Makes it a pain in the ass for the homeless to get IDs now, and even makes it rather difficult for married women to update their ID. Brandy had a bitch of a time switching her name because all of our paperwork is in my name. I can somewhat understanding accepting the passport, getting one of those in the US is an insane multiday process.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Then it should be interesting when my son gets his learner's permit, unless they count school photo ID as "valid".

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    That's what you get for not having a reliable and unique method of identification.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    That's what you get for not having a reliable and unique method of identification.
    I'm curious what Germany has as a "reliable and unique method of identification" for minors (under age 18).

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    I'm curious what Germany has as a "reliable and unique method of identification" for minors (under age 18).
    Easy: You get your identity card at age 16. Before that there's the so-called children's passport.

By the way: Weren't we talking about driving age and above? Identity card. Done.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    I can somewhat understanding accepting the passport, getting one of those in the US is an insane multiday process.
    The only multi-day process was waiting for it to be mailed to me. When I had mine done, it took around an hour and a half. It would have been less than 15 minutes, but a few things conspired against me in doing it in that short of a time frame:

1) When I arrived at the Post Office to fill out the form, and submit my identification, there was only one person to work the window for Passports, and five other people had also decided to file at the same time so I had to wait in line.

2) I had to drive to a Rite-Aid to have my photo taken, wait at the photo center for an associate to be free to take my photo, wait for it to be printed, and then go back to the Post Office. They could have taken it at the Post Office, but the Postal Worker said that their camera and photo printing service would take a few hours to be completed, and I'd have to wait for a less busy time to have it taken, where-as they knew Rite-Aid could get it done in around 30 minutes or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Please don't let Munchkin, GGT, and OG's cases make you think that obtaining proper identification in the US is difficult or backward. With Munchkin's case, the numerous forms of ID required are to verify that a person who is applying for a Driver's License that is going to be linked to a database stating that they are a U.S. Citizen, and Resident of Wyoming, who is Mrs. Smith, are really those things.

Besides, you can also get a non-driver ID at least here in NY.
    . . .

The Southern Baptist Coalition as a leading voice of Christian Conservatives, the Values Voters, and the Family Research Council. Their religious litmus test for POTUS isn't just offensive, but also full of hypocrisies.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    Besides, you can also get a non-driver ID at least here in NY.
    You can get those in every state, the problem is the dumbfuck laws around who may have one. For example, in Ohio, one must provide documentation that they're a legal resident for any state ID. (Heard that a bunch of BMV employees got busted for *gasp* selling state IDs to illegal immigrants this week.) And, of course, that kind of dumbfuckery is becoming more common, but is completely eliminating illegal immigration and all problems associated with it, at least.

And pursuant to what the others have said, this is indeed causing problems for groups of people that may not have (or be able to obtain) their original birth certificates, SSID cards, etc. Hell, I've got at least 4 identities I can't get drivers licenses for anymore, and every time I write someone to complain, they try to have me arrested. This fucking country.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

They put us on warning that if this gets worse, county could activate the EOC. Apparently, we are about to get hit with whats left over from the storms that caused the tornadoes up north a few days ago

Kids and Brandy are stuck in Orlando too.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Yeah, weird weather all around. The east coast had an early Spring, cherry blossoms a couple of weeks premature, folks turning on the A/C in 85 degree early April. Then we had 30 degree nights and turning the heat back on. It's supposed to SNOW here today.

I read a commodity report saying corn growers are going to have to find/use new heat-tolerant and better drought-tolerant hybrid seeds, not just a few seasons from now...but right now.

Oh yeah, and in other news, some theorists claim that higher global temps will mean any melting of polar ice caps and higher ocean water levels will translate into more water evaporation into the atmosphere....making more rain clouds, more rain, and better crop yields.

I'm not an expert in any of those fields, but that sounds like a huge whitewash. Polar animals losing their habitats, oceans being de-salinized by rain water, and saltwater species becoming extinct....sounds like a crappy way to keep a planet vibrant and self-sustaining.

It's an even crappier motivation for food commodity speculators, who'd just as soon make money on food scarcity, or the global problems that hunger incites, as those who trade in energy commodities. Oil for food, food for oil, pick the political compartment, choose the army.
    Last edited by GGT; 04-23-2012 at 12:06 PM.

The weather didn't turn nasty like they feared, but it sure did rain. Dropped down to the 60s overnight and we shouldn't need the AC again until Wednesday.

------

Intel launched their new Ivy Bridge CPUs today, but so far it seems like a paper launch, so chips won't be in stores for another week, and there are reports that the model I was going for my be in short supply and come with a higher TDP than I was expecting

I had typed a reply in D & D and got the dreaded lock-up. Was it this site, my router, provider, computer...? Damn comcast

A fine woman, whom is a colleague at work, finally lost the battle to sCJD this morning. RIP - no longer will we have anyone to watch the Apache helicopters flying outside work with.

I had typed a reply in D & D and got the dreaded lock-up. Was it this site, my router, provider, computer...? Damn comcast
    Your browser.

WRONG CHOICE
    My name is Auke Siebe Dirk
    I was named for my great uncle Dirk Siebe
    A boy who made the wrong choice
    Chose the wrong army
    With the wrong ideals
    Ran away from poverty
    Hoping for a better life
    No way back
    When a choice is made
    Only a way forward
    That he could not escape
    Fighting the Russians
    Afraid of dying himself
    Thinking about home
    Where Dirk's future still had to begin
    His mother is torn by war
    Mother of eleven children
    Of which four in the resistance
    And one fighting on the eatern front
    She loved all eleven just as much
    Dirk Siebe never came home
    My name is Auke Siebe Dirk
    I was named for Dirk Siebe
    Because Dirk Siebe also should not be forgotten.
    (you'll have to fir give me for the fact that my translation took some of the poeticness out of it)

So this poem was written by a 15 year old boy here, about his great uncle who made the wrong choice during the war (and apparently 4 others chose the 'right' choice). He entered a poetry contest, and got second place. The prize: reciting the poem during the remembrance day ceremony on the 4th of may. Since the organizations own speech proclaims:
    During the National Remembrance we remember all those - civilian or military - who have fallen in the Kingdom of the Netherlands, or anywhere in the world, since the outbreak of the Second World War, in war or in peacekeeping operations. All memories of this come together during the National Remembrance. At 8PM there is a two minute silence everywhere in the Netherlands. Two minutes, during which we realize that we have the opportunity to be able to have two minutes of silence. To remember all of those who have fallen, Her Majesty the Queen and His Royal Highness the Prince of Orange will lay down the first wreath at the Monument.
    Seems to fit if you ask me. His own explanation:
    I wanted to show that war only knows losers: on the good ánd the wrong side. How can we learn from our mistakes if we cannot talk about these mistakes? I was born in freedom. For me it's already hard enough to make the right choices. How difficult must it have been for people during the war? That is what I tried to tell in my poem.
    Seems fair enough for me.

But then jewish organizations started to complain, saying it is an insult to the real victims of the war. I guess young kids who joined the German army for various reasons (indoctrination, poverty was mentioned in the poem itself) aren't victims of war in general. Anyway, it's been pulled back now 'to not let the discussion overshadow the significance of this day'.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    But then jewish organizations started to complain, saying it is an insult to the real victims of the war. I guess young kids who joined the German army for various reasons (indoctrination, poverty was mentioned in the poem itself) aren't victims of war in general. Anyway, it's been pulled back now 'to not let the discussion overshadow the significance of this day'.

Had two root canals in the last month, and temporary crowns put on both teeth affected. If that wasn't enough, I went to my doc for chest pains and heartburn, to have her tell me to cut out caffeinated drinks like coffee, tea, and soda and alcohol (both of which I really don't drink anymore anyway), and CHOCOLATE. What the fuck is life worth living for if I can't have chocolate or coffee? I suppose I will do as doc says for a month until I get reevaluated. But fuck her on cutting carbs; she suggested I do so to control my weight in helping with heartburn.... I'd rather have heartburn than miss out on pasta.

It's always fucking something. But I guess at least I can rest easy that my pains weren't related to my heart.

Aw, that sucks Cat. I'm guessing your root canals and crowns meant you were taking some type of pain meds for a while? Those can cause chest pain or heartburn (often confused with cardiac pain). Ibuprofen and Aspirin are known gastric irritants, but most people don't take them with food, as directed. Enteric-coated meds don't start working until they're out of the stomach and into the intestines, but most people want faster pain relief than that.

I'm not trying to give you medical advice that's contrary to your physician's orders....but in her effort to tell you all the possible causes of heartburn, she left a few important facts out of the equation. Chocolate, coffee, tea, colas and red wine have chemicals that can disturb esophageal sphincter muscles, and lead to heartburn (especially night-time or horizontal dependent heartburn that's really gastric reflux). It's not just caffeine content but also xanthines, smooth muscle relaxants, and stomach contents that affect gastric pH and/or digestion.

Very few things work best on an empty stomach. Skipping meals to lose weight, or to fit into that evening party dress... just leads to "other" bad stuff and negative consequences. You know what I mean Take your pain meds with food, even if it's just a piece of bread or a couple of crackers. Or a bowl of noodles.

I live on ibuprofen, admittedly. Picking up a kid constantly has put hell on my back. You're right about the muscle issue; she did tell me about that too. The good part is my heartburn is gone, and I'm starting to feel better after 5 days of caffeine withdrawal, though it's still hard. I'm just mad that it seems like the second I turned 30 my body is betraying me. Just being whiny as I know others have it much worse.

It might be betraying you, but it's staying true to purpose; you've already procreated, now you just have to keep going for another ten, fifteen years until your offspring can feed itself, then you're free to die... Insofar as the long molecule is concerned.

(Okay, I know it isn't all that simple, but in principle...)
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

This is true. Not going to have another kid, so I've pretty much served my purpose. I'm pretty expendable at this point.

pffft Don't demean yourself that way, Cat. Not even in jest. And don't allow others to define your purpose in life, either.

Yeah, all things change after age 30, but so what? None of us actually expected to carry our 18 yr old bodies into the future...and thankfully the 18 yr old mindset can also be left behind. Consider this: historically, female beauty was defined as youth. It wasn't connected to knowledge or wisdom, or any type of maturity. But today, women can be valued and respected for all those things, and even re-define what is "sexy".

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    It might be betraying you, but it's staying true to purpose; you've already procreated, now you just have to keep going for another ten, fifteen years until your offspring can feed itself, then you're free to die... Insofar as the long molecule is concerned.

(Okay, I know it isn't all that simple, but in principle...)
    That's a pretty shitty way to respond to Cat. Or anyone, even on "principle". Does your true purpose lay in procreation, too? Or are you just special because you're a genius? Should we overlook your previous posts about self-destructive thoughts and suicide attempts...as nothing more than long molecule attributes?

Free to die, huh....

That's a pretty shitty way to respond to Cat. Or anyone, even on "principle". Does your true purpose lay in procreation, too? Or are you just special because you're a genius? Should we overlook your previous posts about self-destructive thoughts and suicide attempts...as nothing more than long molecule attributes?

Free to die, huh....

Or should that be,

How shitty is that? Get back to me, huh.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

I didn't mean for my whining to cause a problem

It's okay, GGT. I didn't take offense to Nessus's post. I figured she was stating a simple biological fact. Either that or I've lost favor with her and she really does wish an early death upon me. I'm pretty sure it's the former, but I won't be hurt either way.

The truth of it is I am mediocre; easily expendable. At one time in my life I thought I was something special. Fresh out of high school and entering college, I thought maybe I'd find my gift. Maybe I'd one day be a marine biologist or marine paleontologist. When that didn't pan out, I turned to chemistry. In the end, I went to a mediocre college, got a mediocre degree. What I thought of myself as a pretty smart person in high school was quickly revealed to be slightly above average in college. I've had a couple of cool jobs in my eyes, but in the grand scheme of things they too are probably mediocre. I am a mediocre mom and wife. When I am gone, I will not be remembered for any life-changing reasons. They will say, " Oh, Cat? She seemed nice. Pretty dependable....and...well....she seemed nice." It is hard to recognize oneself as mediocre, but truly that is all I am.

The one extraordinary thing I have had in my life is a very supportive family, and the love of a man much smarter, more patient and gentle, than I could ever be. How I got that is still beyond me. When we are long gone that will not be anything for others to remember; but at least for now my little pathetic heart can hold on to that, just a little longer...

How awful it is when our deeds hold purpose...

As you say, I was simply pointing out the biological reality, because I find it funny how distanced, removed it is from our hopes and dreams. Our perception of reality...

What you say of your life I cannot dispute as I'm a mere bystander, but I can tell you this much; I will remember you. Not as some mediocrity, some hum-drum waste of flesh. I remember you sharing the birth of your child. I remember the mixture of timidity and certainty your attitude carries. You. The happiness you obtain from your mate.

It is not at all wasted, and it can be appreciated. It just has to end. All of us must end. So nearly did I, at a time... How wonderful it feels, then, to exist!

Alexander Dale Oen, a swimmer who last year won the gold medal in the WC, and silver medal in the Beijing Olympics, died today, 26 years old.
    Tomorrow is like an empty canvas that extends endlessly, what should I sketch on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Catgrrl View Post
    I didn't mean for my whining to cause a problem

It's okay, GGT. I didn't take offense to Nessus's post. I figured she was stating a simple biological fact. Either that or I've lost favor with her and she really does wish an early death upon me. I'm pretty sure it's the former, but I won't be hurt either way.

The truth of it is I am mediocre; easily expendable. At one time in my life I thought I was something special. Fresh out of high school and entering college, I thought maybe I'd find my gift. Maybe I'd one day be a marine biologist or marine paleontologist. When that didn't pan out, I turned to chemistry. In the end, I went to a mediocre college, got a mediocre degree. What I thought of myself as a pretty smart person in high school was quickly revealed to be slightly above average in college. I've had a couple of cool jobs in my eyes, but in the grand scheme of things they too are probably mediocre. I am a mediocre mom and wife. When I am gone, I will not be remembered for any life-changing reasons. They will say, " Oh, Cat? She seemed nice. Pretty dependable....and...well....she seemed nice." It is hard to recognize oneself as mediocre, but truly that is all I am.

The one extraordinary thing I have had in my life is a very supportive family, and the love of a man much smarter, more patient and gentle, than I could ever be. How I got that is still beyond me. When we are long gone that will not be anything for others to remember; but at least for now my little pathetic heart can hold on to that, just a little longer...
    I've learned that there's always someone smarter than you, more motivated than you, and better-looking than you. That's life. There's also someone smarter, more motivated, and better-looking than the person you're jealous of. And the people near the top of those categories have spent so much of their life competing that they probably didn't enjoy the journey to the top. Sure, it might be nice to be remembered, but how much does that really matter? How many people are really thankful to Einstein, or Galileo, or Darwin? How many would make sacrifices for them instead of sacrificing for their family and friends? As long as you like what you do, even if it's taking care of children, and have supportive family and friends, how much do the other things really matter?
    Hope is the denial of reality