Page 167 of 189 FirstFirst ... 67117157165166167168169177 ... LastLast
Results 4,981 to 5,010 of 5648

Thread: What's messing with your Groove?

Taking over a patient from another clinic. Some fucking intern wrote a limerick in the discharge summary where he "jokes" about AIDS. This is, needless to say, extremely unprofessional, and had the patient read it (which he could easily have done online had I not gotten in touch with the intern) there's a good chance he would've been either unnecessarily worried or deeply offended, or both.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Growing old in a culture that not only celebrates youth, but the appearance of youth. Many of my peers have had their faces and boobs lifted, they attend Botox "parties" held by esteemed doctors. Some culture, huh.

No wonder we have a POTUS with a bad comb-over

On call. Can't sleep. Have Nessun Dorma stuck in my head.

Having trouble sleeping. My brother lives in Santa Rosa I keep worrying about the wind surging again during the night and driving a fire up into his section of town when he's asleep and might not hear an alert or evacuation order in time.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Hope they get the fires under control

Lots of smoke and ash still falling here in San Francisco. Supposedly winds are picking up tonight, things are not looking good.

A close friend of the family and especially my mum hasn't been reachable for two weeks. He's elderly and was recently ill, and feeling increasingly weary of living, at age 92, with much less mobility and strength than he had point a year ago. It's scary, he's the closest I've ever had to a maternal grandfather but because we have nothing to do with his other friends and he has no contact with his family there's a very real possibility that something bad has happened without us knowing. Anyway I got in touch with an on-call social worker in sthlm and asked her to do what she can to find out and if possible let us know if he's all right or at least alive.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Having trouble sleeping. My brother lives in Santa Rosa I keep worrying about the wind surging again during the night and driving a fire up into his section of town when he's asleep and might not hear an alert or evacuation order in time.
    How is your brother doing Fuzzy? I hope all is well with you and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    How is your brother doing Fuzzy? I hope all is well with you and your family.
    He's ok, no evacuations in his part of town (south-south-east) and at this point any fire would either have to go back over burned out areas or move through half the town to reach him.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

My Facebook feed is flooded with #metoo-tagged stories. As far as I can tell, most of the women on my friends list who actively use Facebook--which is most of them--have, over the course of a single day, shared stories about their experiences with being sexually harassed or assaulted. For most of them, it's just a selection of the "highlights" and yet it's a litany of one transgression after another. None can, even on its own, be trivialized by any decent person--and there are. so. fucking. many. Lists of events beginning in early childhood and continuing into the present, which in some cases is near retirement age. Treatment the vast overwhelming majority of men never really have to put up with, ranging from incessant verbal and physical harassment--by strangers, friends, teachers, employers, colleagues, patients--to outright violent assault. Almost all of the people in my network live in and have grown up in western countries, so you might say these are the FORTUNATE ones. This world is fucked up. I expect lame-ass MRAs are actively trying to protect their tiny, fragile minds against this onslaught of tragedy but I can't imagine it's easy when so many speak up at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    shared stories about their experiences with being sexually harassed or assaulted.
    Which is insane, because no victim owes anyone their story. This hashtag has done wonders who allowing people to open up and vent.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Which is insane, because no victim owes anyone their story. This hashtag has done wonders who allowing people to open up and vent.
    It's a good reminder that victims don't owe anyone their silence either. I mentioned this to my wife in passing and it led to a conversation I really hadn't expected. There are people all around us carrying these experiences with them all their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    A close friend of the family and especially my mum hasn't been reachable for two weeks. He's elderly and was recently ill, and feeling increasingly weary of living, at age 92, with much less mobility and strength than he had point a year ago. It's scary, he's the closest I've ever had to a maternal grandfather but because we have nothing to do with his other friends and he has no contact with his family there's a very real possibility that something bad has happened without us knowing. Anyway I got in touch with an on-call social worker in sthlm and asked her to do what she can to find out and if possible let us know if he's all right or at least alive.
    Shortly after I made the call, the social-worker got in touch with my mum and said that he'd been re-admitted, but to another hospital. It was clear that he'd been discharged too early the first time and he was now back with aggravated heart-failure and a host of other problems. My mum finally got hold of him and was able to get more information about where he was. After a lot of searching and getting lost she managed to visit. He was very tired but they could hang out and chat for a while. He asked for his favourite cupcake and a magazine and mum managed to get those to him the next day when he had a major turn for the worse. This new ward did almost everything right however and he made slow but steady progress. Good staff all 'round. They kept mum in the loop and she spoke to him on the phone although he had some difficulties. Her job kept getting in the way of visits due to unpredictable long shifts on short notice. When she was able to visit him again, she learned that he'd been moved to a rehab facility at a somewhat distant location she was unfamiliar with, and the confused searching began anew. She spoke with the staff there yesterday and they said he was doing much better but was busy with physiotherapy so she said she'd visit today.

Early this morning, he passed away, in his sleep. It is unfortunate, but the night staff failed to act on important signs that would otherwise have given him a fighting chance, which was whole purpose of his rehab. Mum's very sad, but happy that he didn't have to spend any time in a nursing home, because that was his greatest fear, and she was happy that she got to see him a few more times before he died.

Our friend, for twenty years my maternal grandfather in all but name, lived a long and very full life, lived enough for almost two people. He was an artist, a writer, a poet, an adventurer, a beer-lover and a teller of naughty jokes. He traveled far and wide and painted scenes from all over the world. He was extremely dedicated to helping others, both in Sweden and abroad, and although some people took advantage of this he was never bitter or cynical. At age 89, he became a local celebrity when someone tried to rob him. He was pulled down to the ground but sent the robber packing with a swift right hook to the jaw--our friend used to be an amateur boxer. His beloved wife died twenty years ago and he lived on his own after that, but even in his old age he helped his more frail friends and acquaintances with everything, until he himself became too frail. He had no children of his own, and his extended family never bothered to keep in touch with him, to his sorrow and to their great loss. Even so, he was not alone, and he'll be remembered fondly by a large number of friends--and the world's fattest, fluffiest and most cherished cat.

sorry Minx. I know you're mourning his death, but don't place too much blame on the night staff (that "failed to act on important signs that would otherwise have given him a fighting chance"). Living to age 92 is no small feat, and living longer probably wouldn't have made his life richer or better. I know you know that.

Sorry about your mom, OG.

Posting my complaints feels petty, because in the grand scheme of things it's really just whining.

But it still messes with my groove that the home inspection found termites

Another petty and self-important whine: it really shouldn't be so difficult to move, and transfer utilities within the same state or county, but it is! And I really shouldn't have to hire a real estate attorney to represent ME at settlement (because my realtor only represents the RE franchise)

I can only hope that my "profit" is tax-deferred, or tax-deductible, or something. I don't even know if the over-55 home sale tax exemption (on a primary home) still applies in PA, because the tax laws have changed since I bought this house. All I know.....is that it just shouldn't be so damn hard to sell a house and move to an apartment!

Blech. Black Friday overnight shift. Need caffeine.

Weird, I didn't think anyone bought replicas of Civil War era moustaches these days.

Hearing about a new product called "cat wine". Apparently it's a liquid form of catnip, created so humans can feel like their feline friends are getting drunk on mewloh while they get drunk on merlot.

I put it in the same category as ugly pet sweaters, or holiday pet costumes, or 'the things people do to their pets that we wouldn't do to our friends', even tho our pets are often our best friends.

Being a pretender. Acting as if nothing bothers me, when everything does. Trying to put on a strong face, and taking control of life, when I really feel like collapsing from the weight of it all, and curling into a fetal position...where I could find some solace, or at least decent sleep...

I've been on my own since I was 20 years old, and I'm quite tired now. I have children that inspire me to keep going, but that may not be enough now. Contrary to popular myths, life doesn't get better as we age. Living just gets harder and more painful

The hospital smashed my mom's laptop while she was in surgery. A week in recovery and they stole the only means she had to starve off the boredom.

Click to view the full version
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Sorry to hear that hope surgery & recovery have gone as well as possible under the circumstances. Will they give her a replacement laptop?

Haven't heard anything yet. Had to work today and I'm going up tomorrow. The hospital is a 4 hour drive from home.

I can't really complain about doctors and nurses at hospitals, but man the staff (and low-level nurses) is usually incompetent. Frequently intentionally so.
    Hope is the denial of reality

I should have taken a flu shot this year. Stupid virus.

Having to make a decision on whether to call a temporary halt to a significant year-long project involving teams across the bank, three weeks before implementation, the delivery of which we have committed to regulators, due to an unforeseen issue, is not good for my anxiety and stress levels.

I have a throbbing head tonight, and more of the same shit tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Bought a pack of McVitie's Digestives for the first time in years and discovered that they've changed the recipe and/or the process so that the cookies look, feel and taste completely different from what I remember. I was planning on treating myself to one of my top guilty pleasures--digestives dunked in hot Earl Grey--and now it all just feels like one big pee tape. Worst of all, it stirred within me a profound desire to Write a Letter to the company. I feel like I've aged four decades. Fuck you, McVitie's.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    I should have taken a flu shot this year. Stupid virus.
    #neveragain

Another forced windows update, another crashed system that has resisted all attempts to repair, six hours and counting. Ordinarily this would be a shitty start to my Christmas break but because I've been called in to work on short notice I won't be able to use my laptop anyway.

But seriously, fuck windows.

"I can't stand being in captivity because I was tortured."
    "In that case, we'll deport you to your torturers quicker."
    Hope is the denial of reality