Page 186 of 189 FirstFirst ... 86136176184185186187188 ... LastLast
Results 5,551 to 5,580 of 5648

Thread: What's messing with your Groove?

There are a ton of jobs there and I expect to be making substantially more in 2-3 years. In contrast to academic jobs that see virtually no growth (not to mention other problems with colleges nowadays). Not really an option for people who don't have at least an MA though (and even MAs are a dime a dozen there).
    Hope is the denial of reality

Good luck in your new job and returning to the East coast, Loki! I wasn't sure what you meant about unsustainable high costs of living, but it sounds like you've given up on Academia because it just doesn't pay as much as Corporate jobs (plus the other problems making it harder to sustain a career in Academia)?

I don't know exactly what is going on in higher education, but it sounds like it's another broken American institution. Someone within my in-law family who has MA, MS, MBA, and PhD degrees is moving up the ladder of Academia to be a Vice Chair at a medical college....by moving from the east coast medical corridor to....Texas.

Pretty sure it's a drastic cut in pay, but getting the position/title was on her professional bucket list. Can't wait to hear what the school's gun policy is....or if she thinks it was a good trade-off
    Last edited by GGT; 06-20-2022 at 04:45 AM.

Money was not the only issue (or the main issue), but it was definitely an issue. My salary increased 3% total over a 6-year span. House prices went up 50% in the same time period. Realistically, my salary would increase another 10-15% in the next decade. I should get that in one year where I'm moving. There's something to be said for being appreciated. And not have to endure Covid policies that explicitly put the lives of everyone in danger for political reasons.
    Last edited by Loki; 06-22-2022 at 02:16 AM.

We're under a heatwave warning.

Forecast:

I hope people in their $4k/month apartments weren't too cheap to get an AC.

Nobody has AC here. I think the number was something like 23% of residents have AC.

...because the temperatures above are considered a heatwave when they happen here.

It took two and a half years, but now my wife has covid. guessing I'm next. She's just really gutted because this means she won't be able to celebrate midsummer or sort out everything at work before going on vacation. also exhausted obv. me, I was supposed to spend the weekend working on a draft -_-
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Nobody has AC here. I think the number was something like 23% of residents have AC.

...because the temperatures above are considered a heatwave when they happen here.
    Go to a fancy hotel, pretend to be a guest, stay in the lobby/bar all day. That's a survival tip from Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    It took two and a half years, but now my wife has covid. guessing I'm next. She's just really gutted because this means she won't be able to celebrate midsummer or sort out everything at work before going on vacation. also exhausted obv. me, I was supposed to spend the weekend working on a draft -_-
    Sorry to hear that. Hopefully, it's one of the mild cases and she'll be fine in 7-10 days.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    I'm having trouble processing all the negative things happening all at once -- domestically and globally -- and it's overwhelming.

I know there are millions of others who feel this way too, especially those under 40 yrs old who envision a dystopian Mad Max type of future but are ignored or discounted because they're just too negative to be taken seriously. It's pretty hard to be optimistic when faced with so many Existential Crises simultaneously; climate change, crazy conservatives, crony capitalism, constitutional chaos, cognitive collapse.

No idea how others are coping during this difficult and disturbing time, especially when old memes like "Kiss your children and go shopping" or "Drill Baby Drill" or "Only good guys with guns can stop bad guys with guns" remain as influential propaganda, coupled with the myth of American Exceptionalism....and ever-expanding economic growth on a planet with finite resources. Thoughts and Prayers? harumph
    Actually, not very good.
    Congratulations America

I bought a Dyson vacuum cleaner.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    I bought a Dyson vacuum cleaner.
    I heard those were fantastic for pet hair and bought one.

The damned brush didn't even spin. So I contacted them, and after assembling and reassembling the thing twice with them and sending video they determined it was a faulty part and sent a replacement - it also did not work, and it took them over a month to send it. I assume they take so long since most stores only allow 30 days to make a return.

Luckily I had longer to return, so I did.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Oh, it works alright, but it's a Dyson.

Also, nowadays my own cooking gives me a a runny nose
    Congratulations America

My sister in law is due with her second child in a few weeks; she was planning on getting an IUD right afterwards because she thinks she's done with having kids. But because she's in a state that has now outlawed abortion, her obstetrician informed her that IUDs are off the table because they typically prescribe mifepristone before implantation, and that's now not an option. So, instead she's getting a salpingectomy because she can't handle the risk of getting pregnant in a state that doesn't offer basic reproductive care for women... and if she changes her mind, she figures she still has two frozen embryos left.

... I told her she should probably see about moving her embryos out of state before e.g. poorly written personhood laws come into effect.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

I'm just waiting before the GOP to decide IVF is abortion (fertilized eggs are discarded).

I'd never before experienced a cold/flu that actually made my skin hurt. I'd heard about it, but never had it myself. I wish that was still the case. On the plus-side, still Covid free. This infection felt different enough from others that I'd actually figured it had finally caught me, but the PCR from Sunday says no.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Congrats on getting the wrong plague! Get better soon.

Ditto.
    Congratulations America

I bought a fairly expensive (and future proofed) modem/router in December when our super old one it replaced wouldn't work with our faster internet after we moved.

As of today, it's bricked. Looks like a problem that's cropped up in the last few months with a mfg firmware update - many, many people are reporting this issue, and apparently CS is more or less nonexistent. I think I'm just going to have to grit my teeth and buy some new equipment - though not Netgear this time. Grr.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Netgear had some bad days some years ago but I have heard good things about the Nighthawk x45.
    It’s a router with OpenWrt support so should be decent updates. Otherwise TP, Linksys, Asus.

So what is messing with my groove?
    Election year in Sweden and it will be the same as all other years.
    The social democratic alliance will win by 2-4%. Etc.

Meanwhile serious crimes increases,
    several ticking economical bombs that doesn’t add upp.

My son had a vasectomy last week. He's never wanted children (but if he changes his mind there's always adoption). While I'm proud of him for taking birth control seriously and being pro-active...I think our medical industry over-uses the "30 yr old" metric for these elective procedures.

Even for women with chronic, severe, debilitating endometriosis and heavy bleeding -- and know they don't want children -- it's impossible to get a hysterectomy until they've passed that 30th birthday. In case they change their mind or something. It's sad that doctors are so afraid of potential law suits that they actually cause women to suffer, often for many years. But it's especially pathetic that right wing politicians are busy writing laws for pre-born un-born "Personhood", in a state-by-state patchwork, that birth control and Family Planning has turned into chaos.

I've been activated for emergency response. 12 hour shelter shifts for the next 4 days.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

The accents of the Miami Boys Choir. I mean... Am I the only one?
    Congratulations America

WHY are you listening to the Miami Boys Choir. How do you even know they exist? Talk about niche.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    I've been activated for emergency response. 12 hour shelter shifts for the next 4 days.
    Thank you for your service!
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    WHY are you listening to the Miami Boys Choir. How do you even know they exist? Talk about niche.
    The why can only be answered by the algorithm of tiktok. Since a couple of days ago my fyp is being flooded with them and I am being crash coursed about what they are, who they are and which 'teams' there are.

And of course being exposed to the slurry Hebrew of their songs.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Thank you for your service!
    Thanks. About to head in for another shift and since Ian is about to make landfall I'll be stuck there for 36 hours before I'm allowed to go back home.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

The why can only be answered by the algorithm of tiktok. Since a couple of days ago my fyp is being flooded with them and I am being crash coursed about what they are, who they are and which 'teams' there are.

And of course being exposed to the slurry Hebrew of their songs.
    Ah so it's the sea shanties du jour. Weird.

And if by 'slurry' Hebrew you mean their accents not sounding like Israeli Hebrew, they come by those accents honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Ah so it's the sea shanties du jour. Weird.

And if by 'slurry' Hebrew you mean their accents not sounding like Israeli Hebrew, they come by those accents honestly.
    Yeah, it doesn’t sound like Israeli hebrew at all. When I heard it for the first time I thought I was hearing a strangely poppy yiddish song. It was only after a while that I understood it was Ivrit they were singing.

I call it slurry because I can’t make out what they’re singing. I’m Not going to claim I understand Israeli songs but at least I can make out what they are singing.
    Congratulations America

Yeah, it doesn’t sound like Israeli hebrew at all. When I heard it for the first time I thought I was hearing a strangely poppy yiddish song. It was only after a while that I understood it was Ivrit they were singing.

I call it slurry because I can’t make out what they’re singing. I’m Not going to claim I understand Israeli songs but at least I can make out what they are singing.
    There's a fascinating and complex history regarding the development of modern Israeli pronunciation of Hebrew, but one thing it is NOT is representative of any existing pronunciation of Hebrew at the time that it was created. It borrows heavily from Hebrew dialects present in portions of the Middle East (with some obvious parallels to pronunciation of Judeo Arabic dialects), but with important differences and (frequently) simplifications. It has evolved quite a bit in the century and change since then to become the Hebrew people may be accustomed to hearing.

The Hebrew dialect spoken by people from the American yeshivish world (which is where MBC pulls their singers) is an American adaptation of a mishmash of central/Eastern European Ashkenazi accents that were indeed influenced by Yiddish pronunciation along with some influence from pronunciation of American English and other European languages. It is generally mutually intelligible with Israeli Hebrew but has some rather important differences.

I should note that the American yeshivish accent is distinct from what is widely understood to be an American accent when speaking the Israeli Hebrew dialect; the former is a direct evolution from Hebrew/Yiddish dialects that came over from Europe, while the latter is the accent frequently spoken by American learners of Israeli Hebrew. They sound nothing alike.

You can often tell a lot about someone's background about how they speak Hebrew - and, at times, if their dialect for conversation is distinct from their dialect for prayer and/or study.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Thanks. About to head in for another shift and since Ian is about to make landfall I'll be stuck there for 36 hours before I'm allowed to go back home.
    Finally home. Shelter is closed, no word on whats going on with work tomorrow.