Page 34 of 189 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 5648

Thread: What's messing with your Groove?

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    This highlights an additional problem with the Lewkowskian philosophy on why the poor are poor and the rich are rich; if someone had $50k available to invest in the stock market, they could have invested yesterday, and then just wait and dump the stock whenever it goes above $40 - $45 and make more sitting on their ass doing nothing but watching their money grow than someone working 40 hours a week, 52 days a year, earning minimum wage (so long as it goes above $40 - $45 per share in under a year from the time they invested).

Or tl;dr - Those with more disposable or non-essential income have a greater opportunity to grow that money into more money, and earnings can be completely unrelated to the amount of effort put in to attain them.
    Or they invest the money yesterday, BP's very name becomes toxic and is forced out of the US from all this bad publicity and see their money majorly diminished.

What your talking about is not investment, its gambling. And yes with enough stakes it is possible to win a lot through gambling, but then you can lose too.

GGT :hug:

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post

GGT :hug:

thanks

Well hell's bells. This new big monitor screen isn't really intended to make a web site full screen, but to accommodate dual window users?

I can zoom text in and/or make the font larger with command+, but I can't make a web page use the full screen? Any iMac users want to help me out here? Seems a waste of margins. Lots of pretty purple stars there, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    If everyone was as certain as you that BP's stock would return to $40-45, it would cost $40-45 right now.
    I've been paying attention to the markets long enough to become convinced that the rational market hypothesis only holds in the long term, not the short term.

The general consensus amongst investor circles I pay attention to is that BP was devalued more than it should have been. It seems that the uncertainty around possible punitive measures by the government and courts are the biggest thing holding those people from buying.

Oh goody, another expert!

Tell me my PE ratio if I bought BP really early, like years ago. I won't state a specific year, but you must be able to calculate. Consider dividends, too. Must be a computer program for that, right?

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Oh goody, another expert!

Tell me my PE ratio if I bought BP really early, like years ago. I won't state a specific year, but you must be able to calculate. Consider dividends, too. Must be a computer program for that, right?
    Do you even know what a P/E ratio is?

Also, I'm relaying information from others on the stock itself. I don't pay enough attention to BP's stock to know better than they do, and I'm not motivated enough to pull up the information evaluate it.

The Friend is in Gary, Indiana! That's a hella long ways from BFE Wyoming! His ex-wife and I miss him really bad! (Yes, that is just as fuckered up as it sounds!)

GGT is messing with my groove! Dammit woman...MSN!!
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Do you even know what a P/E ratio is?

Also, I'm relaying information from others on the stock itself. I don't pay enough attention to BP's stock to know better than they do, and I'm not motivated enough to pull up the information evaluate it.
    Price to earnings ratio? While you're relaying informational facts, why not format dividends, adjusted for inflation, over a decade or two?

edit and oh yeah, calculate long term capital gains, in my tax bracket. Thanks in advance, if I can fire my CPA as well as my financial managers.

You ain't even paying attention to me, are ya GGT?
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

Price to earnings ratio? While you're relaying informational facts, why not format dividends, adjusted for inflation, over a decade or two?
    I'm not sure you'd understand anything I said, you haven't given me sufficient information to do the task, and I'm reluctant to do that kind of work for you anyways.

Yeas I am munchie, but haven't downloaded MSN yet. This thing came with iChat, but I only knew one other person who used that.

My kid's face holding Guini the cat was captured as a photoi in the start-up process, but still not sure what the hell is going on

I'm not sure you'd understand anything I said, you haven't given me sufficient information to do the task, and I'm reluctant to do that kind of work for you anyways.
    I did understand you, Wraith. But I'm not literally asking you to do anything for me

I pay my CPA and fund managers to figure out the purchase price (many years ago) and the sale price, long term capital gains taxes, and whether it pays to hold or sell. Sometimes selling at a loss is a "gain", if it gives me greater tax deductions or write-offs. That's why it's a game

That's kind of my point, though.

Oh well, won't even try for MSN, huh? It ain't that hard to download!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

I haz decided...Munch is bullshit and no one wants to take the time to talk to me! I am not for sure, but think I am gonna have to reformat my computer...last power surge kinda got it! GGT doesn't wanna talk to me! It ain't all hearts and roses where I am sitting either. Just cause I don't own stocks and such bullshit, I guess I am nobody!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

I won't do things with a new tool, until I understand that tool.

It's kind of like a new driver, thinking they can still drive after "just a couple of beers", just because they've had a few beers before.

Give me a day or two munchie.

this keyboard is really messing with my groove. I am used to blind tactile typing....but this is kooky shit

edit: check your PMs munchie, and stop being so damn dramatic

I can zoom text in and/or make the font larger with command+, but I can't make a web page use the full screen? Any iMac users want to help me out here? Seems a waste of margins. Lots of pretty purple stars there, though.

Apple has deemed it unnecessary for their windows to have a maximize button, you can however manually re-size them as large as you want by dragging on the corners. Also F11 in most browsers on Windows will cause the browser to enter fullscreen mode. You can exit fullscreen mode by pressing F11 again.
    . . .

I've been paying attention to the markets long enough to become convinced that the rational market hypothesis only holds in the long term, not the short term.

The general consensus amongst investor circles I pay attention to is that BP was devalued more than it should have been. It seems that the uncertainty around possible punitive measures by the government and courts are the biggest thing holding those people from buying.
    Well yes. Let's put it like this. There's a 80% chance the stock goes to $40, and a 20% it plummets to $10 (I made up the numbers) due to some of the pessimistic scenarios. In expectation, the price is $34. Then you discount the future, if we're expecting that price in a year or two, and you should be down a few dollars from that. Not saying those numbers are accurate, but the point is that even though most people expect the stock to do well with a fairly high probability, it's the cost of the unknown that causes it to fall.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Just had to go to the USF Sundome for hours just to play for 15 minutes. Most boring thing ever...

For the 17th day in a row...IT'S FUCKING RAINING!!!! Jesus Christ on a Bloody Fucking Crutch...If I wanted to live where it rained all the fucking time I would move to Oregon/Washington or fucking England!!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

The weather is beautiful here atm munch....
    "Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink, because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.

Drank (alot) on an empty stomach :\

Quote Originally Posted by Spawnie View Post
    The weather is beautiful here atm munch....
    *sobs in my beer* WAH!! Why the hell does it always rain on me?
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

Would someone smarter than me please tell me how to embed a video here? I can't figure it out! *Ok, so Munch is an idiot!*
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Well yes. Let's put it like this. There's a 80% chance the stock goes to $40, and a 20% it plummets to $10 (I made up the numbers) due to some of the pessimistic scenarios. In expectation, the price is $34. Then you discount the future, if we're expecting that price in a year or two, and you should be down a few dollars from that. Not saying those numbers are accurate, but the point is that even though most people expect the stock to do well with a fairly high probability, it's the cost of the unknown that causes it to fall.
    Like I said already, its not "easy investment" to say there's a quick buck to be made by buying now and selling it when it goes back up, its gambling.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmunchkin View Post
    *sobs in my beer* WAH!! Why the hell does it always rain on me?
    It's because you lied when you were 17

even when the sun is shining
    she cant avoid the lightning
    "Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink, because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.

And you would know I did because why?

We don't even wanna discuss that! We have been under either Severe Thunderstorm or Tornado Watch/Warning every fucking afternoon/evening for 3 Goddammed weeks! Jesus H. Christ on a Bloody Fucking Crutch...gimme a break!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

Quote Originally Posted by oldmunchkin View Post
    Would someone smarter than me please tell me how to embed a video here? I can't figure it out! *Ok, so Munch is an idiot!*
    On the little toolbar above where you type your post there should be a little film strip. Click on that and use copy/paste

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    Apple has deemed it unnecessary for their windows to have a maximize button, you can however manually re-size them as large as you want by dragging on the corners. Also F11 in most browsers on Windows will cause the browser to enter fullscreen mode. You can exit fullscreen mode by pressing F11 again.
    Thanks. That works on the forum (OMG this is HUGE, never seen posts the size of a television screen!), but not sites like, say NYT....fullscreen just adds a lot of white margins. My F11 is volume.

Fun to play with, pressing buttons and being surprised. And it's totally silent. Sleek. Kinda sexy.

I will stab you both

I will fly to Albion, I will hunt you down like roaches, and I will end you

And I will use a rusty blade

In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Thanks. That works on the forum (OMG this is HUGE, never seen posts the size of a television screen!), but not sites like, say NYT....fullscreen just adds a lot of white margins. My F11 is volume.
    Some websites and themes on bulletin boards are set to have a fixed width for their content. Others use percentage or font-size based layouts so that people with larger or smaller screens, or smaller/larger browser windows, can see more or less content.
    . . .