Page 169 of 189 FirstFirst ... 69119159167168169170171179 ... LastLast
Results 5,041 to 5,070 of 5648

Thread: What's messing with your Groove?

Anthony Bourdain committed suicide.

The shock of his death has wide ripple effects. The guy that started out as a Vasser drop-out dishwasher, but worked his way up in the culinary world, while overcoming heroin addiction, to become a celebrated chef and author......has taken his own life.

My son considered Bourdain a role model. Mostly because he'd faced his demons and come out the other end, with great success. But now what does that mean?

Nobody ever truly comes out the other end with their demons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Yeah. But it concerns me because my son had depression with suicidal ideation a few years back. Besides counseling and a Rx for anti-depressant meds, he found hope in Bourdain's story of overcoming those demons. Since he's chosen the culinary world as his profession and life work, people like Bourdain made deep impressions.

I didn't know the "food world" had so many hurt souls

http://chefswithissues.com/
    Last edited by GGT; 06-25-2018 at 05:33 AM.

I sort of got laid-off today, from my part-time job as the "culinary gardener" for a fine-dining restaurant. The owner saw me tending the tomato plants, spoke wistfully about missing gardening, and said he wanted to take it up again. And oh yeah, that staff payroll costs were too high, so I should "take a break" and leave the gardens to him from now on. Maybe he said "for a while", I can't remember. It was pretty abrupt to be complimented and told to take a hike at the same time.

Sad thing is that he won't really tend the gardens, but will expect the *salaried* kitchen staff to do it, when they're already over-worked and under-staffed. He's been really bad at managing the restaurant, and money in general. Tons of back taxes, accounts due, Sheriff visits monthly, black-listed by vendors, it's a real mess. The restaurant and land is listed for sale at $1.5 million, but he's letting it go to seed.

Yet, he dines there every night, usually with guests, ordering the most expensive meals and wines, but never pays the check or gives tips. My weekly wages were roughly the cost of one steak dinner (less than $50). I submitted expense receipts for a garden water hose nozzle and flexible plant tape ($12.99) and was told to wait two weeks for reimbursement. So sad

I got snapped from r/thanosdidnothingwrong/, now I have to wait till the next avengers movie
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    I got snapped from r/thanosdidnothingwrong/, now I have to wait till the next avengers movie
    I spent far too much time trying to figure out what this meant.

They banned half of their user base at random to bring balance and prevent overpopulation.

I've only posted there once, in support of the snappening, and I got snapped too.

My workplace is going digital and that's actually something I am quite happy about. It gives me freedom in scheduling my work in ways that I couldn't have imagined a couple of weeks ago. Basically I get up early in the morning, do some work for a couple of hours, hop into the shower, get dressed and go to the office at 12. There I printed out my work, chatted a bit with collegues, drank coffee. And checked some documents in an old style file. Then, shortly after 3 I was out again. (I don't work full time).

Now, why am I writing this in the Groove thread?

That would be because they force me to do all this on a laptop that by the looks of it was the cheapest piece of crap they could buy from Dell. At no point in my life have I ever bought a laptop as basic as what I got from my employer. But it's what I have to work with
    Congratulations America

"In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

This is a thread from 1960s Bangladesh: https://mobile.twitter.com/DoreenRud...37950328098821
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I've developed a fear of flying over the last decade or so. I know it's irrational, but that doesn't change the feeling of fear.

I've been able to avoid the large spaces, full of people, lights, sounds, and smells that trigger my anxieties for several years. But now I'm getting ready to fly to Montana, with a stop in O'Hare, for my best friend's daughter's wedding.....and I'm feeling panicked. I can't explain how much this has bothered me, or why I'm determined to see this through, like a nightmare I know will end, if I just breathe.

Breathe! I've been swimming laps in order to control my breathing, diving deep while holding my breath, so gasping for air won't be a strange feeling. Don't panic! Nothing to fear but fear itself, right? But I'm still scared and worried. Goddammit.

Fear of flying is not irrational.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

I deal with my claustrofobia in airplanes by focusing on my direct environment, a movie on my ipad right in front of me can do the trick. It makes me forget i'm locked into a death trap.
    Congratulations America

I made the trip. Several glitches along the way. Being trapped for over an hour inside the plane, with no ventilation, while the engineers were trying to find an electrical problem was bad enough. O'Hare was obscene. If something could go wrong, it did. There were thunderstorms, and emergency personnel removing people (and seats) from incoming planes. None of my flights were on time, there were several delays, and United didn't do a damn thing to help me make connections. The whole thing was a white-knuckle affair from start to finish.

I was supposed to arrive in Bozeman at 9:55 pm, but didn't get there until 2am. My best friend waited up, of course, but it put a dent in the whole wedding planning stuff, because she wasn't just my best friend but mother of the bride. I felt horrible, on multiple levels. The wedding was beautiful, and I'm glad I went, but it didn't change my fear of flying. If anything, it reinforced my anxieties, and I won't be flying again any time soon.

Rather ironic to get text pics from my sister vacationing abroad, mostly about food that looks like the stuff we already have here, just with different names. Seems like a waste of money to be a foodie tourist.

Another thing I noticed in the airports that bugged me....no big clocks in the terminals. Nothing to help you know the local time. My phone was supposed to automatically update, but it didn't, and it was confusing for a while. I kept looking for that big clock but never found it

A flu in summer.
    Congratulations America

Today is Primary Voting Day around here. The never ending flow of people we are getting that are upset they can't vote at my work really drives home how broken democracy can get. These people ignored multiple different sets of directives on how and where to vote and still get upset when they show up at random locations that aren't polling locations.

Any number of nudges can be trialled that might help address this problem. Starting with a sign at the door?

Life tips:

1. Make sure head-trimmer is fully operational before applying head-trimmer to head.

2. Make. Absolutely. Sure.

This message brought to you by #murphyslaw at 11.30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Any number of nudges can be trialled that might help address this problem. Starting with a sign at the door?
    Due to the nature on my job we generally can't turn people away for being ignorant, voting is also a touchy subject concerning what we are and aren't allowed to post (on top of only allowing approved signage).

Came to find out that there were lines of people trying to vote at my work at 7am when the polls opened, but we didn't open til 10, and don't even get into the building until after 9. Curious how many of those people ended up pushing complaints to the Supervisor of Elections.

Surely. A simple sign. Saying. This is not a voting station. ? Beyond that is not ignorant. It's caveman. At which point. U cant win. Join them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Flash floods. Restaurant owners who think they can "work through" 4 day power outages and roadway washouts with no fresh water (or flushing toilets) by stringing hoses to a neighbor with well water, in order to cater an off-site event. I just hope no one got sick.

Update: PennDot re-paved a section of road, the water and electric companies restored service, it got plenty of media coverage (made the national news), and even the Governor paid a visit! Things were looking up, at least for the catering part of business. But it went bad fast when the road started sinking, washing away (again) from underneath, exposing all the rock and water it was built upon over the years, from when it was a ferry landing in 1850.

They had to quickly move inventory to trucks, and haul it out of there before the road completely collapsed. Rented out the local Fire Station kitchen and basically took it over. Terrible, horrible situation. Restaurant closed. Trying to honor their catering contracts as best they can, prepping for 600 event meals this weekend, after that who knows.

Not that it matters much in the grand scheme of things, but I couldn't access the culinary gardens. Lots of ripe tomatoes, peppers, and squash are now rotting on the vine. Plus the kale, swiss chard, and a new planting of strawberry rumex that was looking awesome. The perennial herbs will probably be okay, but it still makes me sad to lose all that produce I worked so hard to grow. Oh well. Food for the wildlife I guess.
    Last edited by GGT; 09-14-2018 at 05:40 AM.

There are no depths to which these degenerate fuckers will not stoop in order to "own" the "libs":

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2018/09/...-being-racist/

Spectator defends racist caricature using racism.

Jewish baby namings are, almost without exception, serious downers.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Dog somehow got tangled the hose outside and ripped the faucet out of the wall. Had to dig out the shut off valve that hadn't been touched in YEARS and really had to work it to get the water off. Had to come into work to get ready. So now my lunch is going to spent picking up epoxy at Lowes so I can fix the faucet. Turning the water off also meant having to shut the hot water heater off, so even if the epoxy sets immediately we likely won't have hot showers tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Jewish baby namings are, almost without exception, serious downers.
    Strange way to treat a joyous occasion, huh.

I should post this in the Happy thread but it's messing me up: PennDot worked hard to rebuild the washed-out road again, at least temporarily, and I was finally able to get to the culinary beds. Lots of rotten produce, but was still able to salvage more than I thought (hot peppers are a pretty hardy crop!). What bothers me is that these temporary stop-gaps are now routine. And no one is willing to talk about any long term solutions, because it's so expensive. It would mean shutting down the road for months, and building new bridges over the stream/river outlet. No one wants to do that because it 'interrupts commerce' and means lost revenue (and higher taxes).

At this point, I'm wondering about the future of anything within a mile of a river. Or how many floods it takes to decide it's not worth rebuilding.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Strange way to treat a joyous occasion, huh.
    The problem is that Jewish kids are generally named after someone deceased. And nowadays, the stories about who they're named after are depressingly similar. The exact circumstances of the namesakes change, but they all end in a similar place. Chelmno. Dachau. Lodz. Warsaw. The list goes on. Sometimes the namesake survived, but the story starts with 'my grandfather came to America after his first wife and three little children were deported to X', or 'she was the sole survivor from a family of seven'. There are modern versions, top: killed by artillery fire from Gaza, kidnapped and murdered by Hamas, gunned down in a synagogue. The 'happiest' story I recently heard was someone who had died of cancer at a young age. It's seriously depressing at what should, by all rights, be a relatively happy occasion.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

That's a sad and depressing history, no doubt.

wiggin, I don't want to sound insensitive, but what's the point of recycling full names when the last (family) name remains the constant? Girls can have a family surname as their middle name, in case they marry and take their husband's last name, for example. It's not like important ancestral stories will be forgotten if there aren't identical "namesakes", so why keep a tradition when it's such a downer?

Few hours old, information still coming out

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video...G_TgYozK23.mp4

Haven't logged in a hot minute.

Recently just got a job that doubled my salary. Amazing opportunity. I hate it.

Now I have to decide, and fast, if I'm going to stay and try and bear it as long as possible, or get out now and attempt to find something comparable that lets me live in my newly leased apartment. My boss and coworkers are already asking questions.