Page 181 of 189 FirstFirst ... 81131171179180181182183 ... LastLast
Results 5,401 to 5,430 of 5648

Thread: What's messing with your Groove?

Wait, what? Your Home Owners Association (HOA) dictates your internet connection?

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    It may not sound like much during your arduous ordeal, gogo, but at least you don't have to declare Medical Bankruptcy or be deemed Indigent in order to get the care you need, like you'd have to do in the US.
    Yes indeed.

It's a massive comfort to know the NHS has my back.

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    So I'm not exactly happy at my job lately and need to decide by next month or so whether I'd like to stay or not. Been looking around for options, one is an agency who are pretty good in things like coaching and training which I value highly. They got me an interview for a pretty interesting project, and the director there already said he'd like to hire me for the job if I'm interested after one interview, so that went extremely well.

Cue initial contract discussions, and three agency offers me significantly less money than I expected. Turns out that because i didn't finish my MSc I'm essentially a scale lower than the job I'd be actually doing, and they say it's market conform for my CV. That may be the case, but if they're happy to charge a client based on my work level but want to pay me on a lower level.. that doesn't seem fair to me. I compared with people I know working there and they also got significantly more (around the amount I'd expect).

I know it's a luxury position to be in, especially these days, but I feel it is a bit unfair. Will try to negotiate, which I don't like, and am not so good at.
    Update on this, I did complain and negotiated, and got exactly what I asked for Expect to sign next week. Thanks also for your replies guys
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Congrats mate, more great things to come
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Wait, what? Your Home Owners Association (HOA) dictates your internet connection?
    Tbh I should probably call it a housing cooperative. The cooperative owns all the equipment, and the board has negotiated an exclusive deal with the new ISP, who has previously provided digital TV service to our coop. Elsewhere, you might be hooked up to the municipal fibre network, which would let you choose between many ISPs—but I suspect it would cost a lot more. This way, we've been able to upgrade from 100mbps to gigabit connection with no increase in monthly costs.

Other than, of course, the cost of this tech nightmare. So they refused to reconfigure the equipment to help me out with my original router. For several days, I didn't have reliable use of my old laptop even when it was hooked up to the main network pretty, or my Shield—to the great sorrow of my daughter, who missed "Papadoo" (Puppy-Dog Pals) terribly. I got a new router and AP, which worked great for a while, and then became unreliable. And then the router was fried. Then my laptop got fucked. Then my old PC got fucked, possibly taking the brand new wireless network card down with it. I went to work to use the computer there, but a weird bug prevented me from logging in, and sorting that out took much of the time I had to spare.

It turns out an issue with how the switches had been set up had resulted in a broadcast storm. Moreover, the ISP had reserved far, far too few IP addresses, which explains why even my other devices often failed to renew IPs. The fried router must have just been bad luck. The laptop issue may really just be an issue with the mains adapter, coupled with an almost completely drained battery when we were trying to troubleshoot at our local tech store; it's charging through a phone charger now, and I'm gonna try again with a new USB-C PD charger and cable. If nothing else, I might be able to back up those files that haven't been backed up yet. The fried PC might just be bad luck as well... it's been lying around gathering dust for months, and it is practically ancient.

This has been a singularly unproductive week and a half, but, on the bright side, I've been forced to update my tech knowledge a lot, which will be useful. I've also decided to go with separate router and AP henceforth. Hopefully the poltergeist has been placated, for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Update on this, I did complain and negotiated, and got exactly what I asked for Expect to sign next week. Thanks also for your replies guys
    That's awesome. Must feel good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    That's awesome. Must feel good.
    Yes! And to be honest also a little anxious, I have a bit of the 'imposter syndrome', and after asking for more I am of course expected to deliver. Of course when thinking about it rationally, it'll be fine, but still, big step up in responsibilities etc., always a little scary. But more excited to start

So, I had a package to be delivered and since I expected not to be home I had it dropped off at a nearby store instead. Now I have to quarantaine so cannot pick it up for another week or so. Called DHL, and I cannot have it delivered to my home after all (it was already at the store), and I cannot have them keep it there for more than a week so I can pick it up. Oh, and it's a package I have to pick up in person and show ID, so I can't have someone else pick it up.. I know it's only a small thing (and at least I'm not sick), but I find it annoying that they can't be more flexible, and I doubt I am the only one who has this problem. Or perhaps most people just say screw it and pick it up anyway, but I'd rather not break quarantaine to pick up a new kettle (although the government advice does say I am allowed to go out to a store if I can't have someone else do it for me, as long as I don't have symptoms).

At least I checked with the store and they made a note, and as soon as it arrives back with them they will immediately ship it back - but they did warn then it often takes 1-2 weeks for the packages to arrive back with them.

Huh, weird... here, we're allowed to pick up packages on other people's behalf, as long as we show both our and their ID.

A little under an hour ago I took an oath of office. The reason why I did was because of a legal change in my employment status. Nothing changes in practice. But still it feels very very strange to give a legally binding promise to be decent and honest etc.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Huh, weird... here, we're allowed to pick up packages on other people's behalf, as long as we show both our and their ID.
    Normally you can, but the sender can specify that only the recipient can (like registered mail).

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    A little under an hour ago I took an oath of office. The reason why I did was because of a legal change in my employment status. Nothing changes in practice. But still it feels very very strange to give a legally binding promise to be decent and honest etc.
    Sometimes I wish some of my coworkers would have taken that oath Though we do have to sign for a General Business Principles during our onboarding, which includes stating we'll work with integrity, honesty, etc.

Hurricane Eta. Things are deteriorating fast. We are getting activated for emergency responses with barely an hour's notice. Multiple tornadoes. But I'll be damned if it doesn't look cool as fuck.

"In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

You mean they missed Eta's ETA?
    Hope is the denial of reality

A rat chewed on the cables that connect to the sensor for the airbags in my car. I didn't trigger anything besides a warning, and it's been taken care of. But I paid €650,- for the pleasure.
    Congratulations America

After half a decade of thinking that there was something seriously off with my bloodsugar levels today I got a kind of panicky call from my GP that he wanted to see me to talk about the serious chance that I could be a diabetic. For a rather long time I have known I was in a high risk group (too heavy, it's the favorite affliction in my family) and I kinda know the symptoms. Yet since I have been confronting a succession of GP's with my serious worries about the possibility I basically was told that my symptoms were psychosomatic, and CERTAINLY not related to diabetes, not even looking like something a diabetic could have. This seemed to be confirmed by blood tests. But then today I got this call, which left almost no opening to the possibility that it wasn't diabetes, but also came with an explanation how previous tests could have been as inconclusive as they had been.

Am I relieved or am I angry?
    Congratulations America

You are both.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

You bet I am both. Started with medication today. Also had a critical look at things I eat. Seems like there's a lot that I should put on the 'maybe some times and in moderation' list.

On the upside; I should have jumped several millions of places on the vaccination waiting list.
    Congratulations America

Oldest daughter got her driving permit today. Pray for me.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

HAHAHAHAHAHA

EDIT: sorry RIP ur auto insurance

I suspect I'm going to need to buy a car this weekend, my current 16-year old one is on its last legs without another $4k of cash to patch it up. I'm bummed less from the money side of things (it just means we'll have to delay buying a house by another 6-12 months) but more from the sheer hassle of researching and negotiating a car purchase. Possibly the least fun form of shopping possible, especially when you need to schedule around 2 small kids and work schedules.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

What's the budget? Need at least 5 full seats or will 4 do?

I'm also car shopping, I figured around Christmas I'll give ocean my car and get a faster one for myself.

If you want to recommend something, I'm all ears.

- No set budget but I don't believe in overpaying for depreciating assets, so no Teslas or other luxury cars. I imagine I'd feel uncomfortable at something really high like $50k.
    - For future proofing at least 5 seats, 7 would be nice for flexibility. I expect I'll have this for 10-15 years and there are decent chances our family could grow.
    - I need to fit (6' 2")
    - preference for lightly used because I don't like instant depreciation, but I'll take new given the time constraints
    - Fuel efficient, I'm game for hybrids if not too pricey. Nothing plug in because my parking lot has no charging.
    - Reasonable reliability and maintenance costs

That's it really, I just need a way to get people from point A to point B.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Off the top of my head the Kia Telluride would be worth looking into. It's very popular so the used market doesn't give much savings there. Downside is the rather common 20/26 mpg. With 7 seats (unless you want that 3rd row to be for briefcases), your only other option for better mpg is a hybrid minivan.

This is perhaps the absolute worst time to buy, the shortages that are screwing over console and pc gamers have hit the car brands just as hard.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 03-11-2021 at 10:36 PM.

Kia is certainly on the list. My sister has a Sorento I think? She seems to think it's fine. The Telluride seems pretty big/not very fuel efficient to my eyes (I'm used to driving compacts) but that might just be reality for a three row car.

I know that the current car market is tight and going to get tighter, but the reality is that even patch jobs on my current car won't last more than 6-12 months, so I'm not sure waiting is worth it. We'll do some shopping this weekend and decide. Definitely not looking forward to it.

If you're not ready for a full 3 rows (think the Mazda 5 was the last of it's size in US to give a collapsible 3rd row) then I have just 2 suggestions because your options are so open that it really comes down to how you fell once you're in the car.

1). Don't ignore the middle backseat. Thanks to Mini the US no longer has a minimum width for what can be considered a middle seat. Not something you think about until a new car seat bumps your middle child into that middle spot and they spend every trip complaining about leg room, no where to put their feet, and always being squished.

2) look up it's moose test. SUVs are weird when it comes to evasive maneuvers.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 03-12-2021 at 01:58 PM.

After half a decade of thinking that there was something seriously off with my bloodsugar levels today I got a kind of panicky call from my GP that he wanted to see me to talk about the serious chance that I could be a diabetic. For a rather long time I have known I was in a high risk group (too heavy, it's the favorite affliction in my family) and I kinda know the symptoms. Yet since I have been confronting a succession of GP's with my serious worries about the possibility I basically was told that my symptoms were psychosomatic, and CERTAINLY not related to diabetes, not even looking like something a diabetic could have. This seemed to be confirmed by blood tests. But then today I got this call, which left almost no opening to the possibility that it wasn't diabetes, but also came with an explanation how previous tests could have been as inconclusive as they had been.

I decided to go off the medication. I religiously follow the teaching of Dr Jason Fung (low carbs + intermittent fasting) with a resulting drop of BMI by 6 points and readings of my blood glucose for the last 2 months never exceeding the range of what a healthy person could expect. Next time I see my GP I will inform him of this, don't care much if he agrees or not.
    Congratulations America

I took next week off. This week: up to 20 degrees and sunny. Next week: freezing at night, chance of snow..

So my brother-in-law, his partner and their two kids (one in kindergarten and the other in school) decided to visit over Easter. They live in another part of Sweden. Only one of them had been vaccinated before the trip. They've all been hanging out for almost a week, at my in-laws' house, along with my wife and my daughter. Now, my daughter, my wife, and her parents have all been isolated or within the same bubble, but my brother-in-law's family have been the opposite of isolated—they've been hanging out with a ton of other families, including several families that they've spent time with and even stayed with after traveling here. So now they've learned that there's at least one confirmed case of covid at their youngest kid's kindergarten, and their youngest kid's best bud has a high fever, and it turns out their youngest has in fact been coughing for the past two days. My wife and my daughter don't have any symptoms yet, and I'm trying to get them back here; household secondary attack rate is low enough that I feel safer having them here than having them stay there another day. But it puts my wife in an uncomfortable position. They've really had a wonderful time, and she's missed her family, and she really doesn't want to make a fuss. I wish her brother and his partner—who's a doctor ffs—hadn't created this situation. My father-in-law has multiple risk factors for severe covid and a poor outcome, but has not yet been vaccinated. It's almost a little tragicomic how the people who are the most likely to be reckless or make poor decisions are also the ones who're the most likely to speak in condescending terms about less educated people's poor decisions.

Oof not good matey.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    It's almost a little tragicomic how the people who are the most likely to be reckless or make poor decisions are also the ones who're the most likely to speak in condescending terms about less educated people's poor decisions.
    Yes it's not a good irony.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.