Page 123 of 189 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125133173 ... LastLast
Results 3,661 to 3,690 of 5648

Thread: What's messing with your Groove?

RIP James Herbert, who died yesterday at the age of 69.

I think I read every single one of his books as a teenager ...

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    So, I setup XBMC on a Raspberry Pi and connected that to my Windows PC's files through SMB. Works fine.

Now my brother wants to see if his bloody Apple can serve as a file server as well. After him discovering that Apple seems to have bungled the SMB format (evil GPL hindered them from adopting the standard!), he now insists that somehow it's Xbian's / XMBC's / Raspberry's fault and that it would all work just fine if he just installed XMBC on an Apple AirPlay.

Yeah, because it's totally the server hardware's fault if it can't connect to a client's shares.

Good grief. The guy has enough knowledge to be dangerous but not enough knowledge to recognize where his knowledge is lacking.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Xbmc on raspberry pi already has airplay!

More spring snow. This is a happy and messed-up thing at the same time. I love snow and cold temps, but this seasonal back-and-forth is frustrating. One week it's clearly spring, with crocus blooms, early onion leafing, daffodil buds, greening grass, birds chirping at sunrise (ugh) and balmy temps...the next week it's 6 inches of snow, ice, driving winds, and freezing temps.

Our school closings and make-up days are a mess. Easter/Spring vacation is whittled down to one Friday.

sigh

I have never quite understood why they close down schools when there is snowfall?
    Tomorrow is like an empty canvas that extends endlessly, what should I sketch on it?

Dangerous snowfall, not just any snowfall.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

What exactly constitutes "dangerous" snowfall?

I'd love to know that too. Been a couple of years since we've had school closed in Norway, and I suspect it not being that much worse in the U. S.
    Tomorrow is like an empty canvas that extends endlessly, what should I sketch on it?

I assume when there's so much snow school buses don't drive, or when it packs on the roof with danger of collapsing.

Then I suppose we just have different priorities in regard to that. There is always piles of snow in the winter and sometimes early spring, but never that much on the roads. Snow trucks operate actively, and once traffic is going in the morning, snow doesn't get a grip.

Three weeks later and I still have swollen feet. Doc put me back on the good meds, but hoping that her test results come back with some answers soon.

Internet hit a new milestone this month. Largest known DDoS to date, peaking at ~300Gbps.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/27/te...pagewanted=all
    article is horribly written, but still, an impressive attack with lots of collateral congestion.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    My Assassins Creed Vita has already broken and is no longer reading memory cards. I go on vacation next week and was expecting to bring it, and now i have to worry about getting a generic model as an RMA and I won't have it for vacation. Right when I was finally getting into assassins creed.

at least they pay shipping both ways
    Got my replacement Vita back. They did in fact send me a white one, that appears to be new. Zero sign of previous use.
    Lets hope this one lasts a little longer,
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Three day weekend! but I have to do an 8 hour pahstun language course by monday.... always a catch

Answering the snow questions: our snow removal is a state/county public service that isn't funded or structured very well. That's why a few inches of snow or ice can close entire school districts.

Its much cheaper for cities and towns on the edge of snowy regions to simply shutdown and extend the school year. Why worry about snow removal equipment if you're going to use it 1 or 2 days out of a year?

Areas around here take the same stance towards hurricanes.

Yeah, but I live in the "snow state" of PA -- and we always have school cancellations for "unexpected" snow or ice. Denial is a crazy way to budget public funds.

School cancellations over here usually only happen due to malfunctioning school heating systems.

Though once my school had to close on a friday and saturday when the nearby river flooded the schoolyard (our teachers had to row over to the main building ). And we once had a school cancellation due to excessively hot weather - however, that cancellation was only for the grades from 7 up to 11. I was in grade 13 at the time...

STEM curricula and track craziness. My son needs one more science class next year to fulfill HS "science" requirements....but his only choices are Physics or Integrated Science (a combo of physics and chemistry). They don't offer Zoology, Botany, or human Physiology/Anatomy. Not even for students in the 'advanced track'.

Never hurts to learn some physics and chemistry.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Sure, but he's already taken Chem I and II, Algebra I and II, Geometry, Environmental/Geology Science, Biology....etc. He's not that interested in the Technology, Engineering, or Math parts of STEM. But he does enjoy Science....from a comprehensive Liberal Arts type of perspective.

I just think it's a shame he can't take Science classes where he'd actually enjoy learning, because our fucked up system has decided to cut those classes in favor of more TEM.

Does sound a bit ... restricted.

How old is your son?

I have yet to encounter any high school that offers zoology or botany, and let's be realistic, there's a limit to how many classes a school can offer.

Especially since STEM is an engineering heavy science and math track.

In other news, my precious keyboard, faithful companion of several years and many long nights, one of the best things I've ever bought... broke last night weird and well-known hardware issue that can crop up at any time and that was beyond my ability to fix after taking the thing apart to jiggle ribbon connectors etc. I have been surprisingly melancholy about this... bought a replacement today, nowhere near as perfect, not at all worth the cost. A clerk at the store where I bought the replacement referred me to another store that was supposed to carry my keyboard but that store recently--literally days ago--shut down and decided to move due to recent rebuilding in town that'd apparently led to them having fewer customers. I cried a little inside :'( :'(
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Iain banks is about to die of cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Iain banks is about to die of cancer.

Age of 59 too.

The construction of my Dell XPS 15 laptop. Basically you need to remove 25 screws, 5 fragile cables to various components, the keyboard, the upper case, the lower case and the DVD drive to get access to the fan. Fun when I need to clean it.

The weather, what a let down.

Innit. Fucking heavy snow in April.