Page 130 of 189 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132140180 ... LastLast
Results 3,871 to 3,900 of 5648

Thread: What's messing with your Groove?

I remember visiting Vegas when it was 100F and it didn't feel nearly as hellish as Virginia when it's 90 with 90% humidity. I actually got cold in the hotel swimming pool; I wasn't used to the lack of humidity and there was a breeze that day.

I've lived in the mid-atlantic region my whole life and I've never gotten used to the humidity. I can't even imagine living farther south with that humidity. Blech

GGT- I think you're looking for either Los Angeles or some place at altitude in New Mexico. One has smog and the other has meth, but the temps aren't bad. Though New Mexico has occasional bouts of extreme weather.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Regardless of season, indoor or outdoor, my ideal temperature range is 60-70 degrees. Where can I move for that?
    15 - 20°, that would be to cold for me. I prefer around 25. If you want the eternal spring, you may move to the canaries:
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Quote Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
    15 - 20°, that would be to cold for me. I prefer around 25. If you want the eternal spring, you may move to the canaries:
    Those must be 24 hour averages, no way that it's just 17 degrees during the day in february on Fuerteventura.
    Congratulations America

Average temperatures is 24h, in the old system it is: (T(7:00) + T(14:00) + 2*T(21:00)) / 4

Yeah, that whole "tolerable dry heat" is a myth. 110 degrees in dry desert shade is still hot as hell.

Hadn't caught the news this morning. 77 dead, that's quite a wreck.

I've always been impressed by the Spanish rail system - clean, cheap, efficient and modern. My father has just toured Spain by rail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

It seems that it was a driver's error. Not quite sure why there aren't safety precautions against it.
    Hope is the denial of reality

There are such precautions on modernized lines; I believe this section of track was still on an older computer system. See the discussion re: ECTS vs. AFSA on the track here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23449246

We've lost 2 dogs this month. 1 from cancer and 1 just now from complications with eye surgery
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    We've lost 2 dogs this month. 1 from cancer and 1 just now from complications with eye surgery
    I'm so sorry to hear that OG.

Chemical fire on the far end of downtown. I'm under a Stay-In-Place shelter warning.
    that's what I get for thinking spenni had the highest chance of dying today.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Just finished my son's bedroom last week. All furniture sorted out, we painted a dinosaur mural on one wall, Sharon made dinosaur curtains from scratch.

This afternoon 3 year old Lily was upstairs reading alone, when she found a permanent marker on a shelf

How do you expect to run with the wolves at night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

- Omar Little

The curtains appear to be untouched, that would have been the hardest to handle. They make sprays and gels for the other stuff.

She at least explain if thats a person or a cat she put under the windowsill?

It's a guinea pig. There's also a picture of me and the wife on the other wall.

It's kinda cute, but on the other hand, horribly frustrating. We managed to get a lot of the ink off the windows and walls with surgical spirit, problem is it took the paint off too, and the paint underneath is bright purple! Radiator, door and window sill is gonna need re-glossing. Walls will need repainting. Very disappointed, but she's normally such a good girl
    How do you expect to run with the wolves at night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

- Omar Little

She wouldn't know such things were bad, I suppose.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Uh oh, kids do the darndest things. Good thing she didn't use that permanent marker to draw all over herself as "eye makeup" or tattoes.

btw, nice curtains

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    She wouldn't know such things were bad, I suppose.
    That's the difficult thing, she thinks what she did was good. She sees it as a present for us. How do you deal with that? This is why being a parent is so shitty sometimes.

We had a nice chat before she went to sleep though, I'd just read her a story and sang her some songs, and then she said 'Sorry for drawing on the walls, Daddy'. I gave her a big hug and said I forgive her, just don't do it again and she promised not to. Then she told me I scared her when I shouted, so I apologised for that too.

So all in all, it's a bit shitty that the room is in that mess, but luckily the dinosaur mural cleaned up okay without ruining it, The walls and the radiator and doors will need to be repainted, but it's not permanent, and I think we all learnt a lesson yesterday. So there you go.

- Omar Little

When I was five I discovered my father's hand-drill.

Great fun for a kid, and don't all those holes in the walls around the house look great!

Dad didn't think so.

Kids learn.

~

Besides, my dad never sung ME songs. Lucky Lily.

Sigh; I have a case of a client who wants to live in a third country while keeping his benefit. That's against the law if he'd actually reside in that country. However I can allow it if he doesn't change his formal residence away from The Netherlands. I went through his case with his lawyer and told him - confidentially - that the case will be rejected if he wants to reside in that third country. The lawyer understands the situation and actually has advised his client to accept the deal. However, the client is hostile it, even though it's clearly giving him materially what he wants, though maybe not formally.

His lawyer also told me that if the outcome of this case will be negative, he won't be the one representing this particular client in court.
    Congratulations America

Nationalist bum?

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Nationalist bum?
    No, somebody whose IQ is only slightly higher than his lacking impulse control.
    Congratulations America

Old news, but I was away - holidays. I had a minor crash with a fortunately rather old car. Accelerated to early while entering a motorway on a wet road. The back broke away and I hit a concrete wall. No one hurt, but the car is gone for good. Now I wait for the fine

RWD car eh? Surprising the traction control didnt save you. Unless the car predates such devices as TC. What car was it you were driving?

Yeah RWD and that was the main problem, it wasn't my car, it was the car we use at work to get stuff around. It was an old Opel Omega estate. My car is FWD and has much a smother gear control. That's why I didn't expected it, even though I knew it was a RWD.

Labour laws designed to protect me are screwing me By law, if you work somewhere for 3+ years without getting a 'permanent' contract (i.e. you can't be fired as easy, have more rights when you get sick, etc.) your employer is obligated to offer you one (or let you go). Which is fnie for 'real' jobs, but for my job on the side (~12 hours per week) I don't want, or need a permanent contract. Result: I will not work for three months, after that I can start working again. So that's more than €2000 in lost income for me - though, granted, it will improve my sleep cycle
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Work under a female pseudonym? :P

Don't want to get political, Flixy, but this is precisely why inflexible labor markets due to well-intentioned over-regulation result in overall inferior outcomes, especially re: employment at the lower end of the wage spectrum.