Thread: What's messing with your Groove?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Flash floods. Restaurant owners who think they can "work through" 4 day power outages and roadway washouts with no fresh water (or flushing toilets) by stringing hoses to a neighbor with well water, in order to cater an off-site event. I just hope no one got sick.

Update: PennDot re-paved a section of road, the water and electric companies restored service, it got plenty of media coverage (made the national news), and even the Governor paid a visit! Things were looking up, at least for the catering part of business. But it went bad fast when the road started sinking, washing away (again) from underneath, exposing all the rock and water it was built upon over the years, from when it was a ferry landing in 1850.

They had to quickly move inventory to trucks, and haul it out of there before the road completely collapsed. Rented out the local Fire Station kitchen and basically took it over. Terrible, horrible situation. Restaurant closed. Trying to honor their catering contracts as best they can, prepping for 600 event meals this weekend, after that who knows.

Not that it matters much in the grand scheme of things, but I couldn't access the culinary gardens. Lots of ripe tomatoes, peppers, and squash are now rotting on the vine. Plus the kale, swiss chard, and a new planting of strawberry rumex that was looking awesome. The perennial herbs will probably be okay, but it still makes me sad to lose all that produce I worked so hard to grow. Oh well. Food for the wildlife I guess.
    Last edited by GGT; 09-14-2018 at 05:40 AM.