Thread: We lack a megathread for oooh, I saw something that entertained me

Default We lack a megathread for oooh, I saw something that entertained me

So I'll show you mine if you show me yours. I'll even go first

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-29581101
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    This is a quite funny view at chemicals most chemists don't want to work with. All procedures and compounds are described from a suitably terrified distance:

http://pipeline.corante.com/archives...ont_work_with/

Excerpt:

You may not have felt the need for a better synthesis of metal azides. Personally, my metal azide requirements are minimal, and very easily satisfied. I can get all I need by looking at a structure drawn on a whiteboard from about twenty feet away, thanks, and have no desire to actually prepare any of these things. I do not see this as an irrational reluctance. For example, last year I wrote about mercury azides, a most alarming class of compounds whose synthesis would be much easier if the two solvent layers didn't keep getting disturbed by explosions. I've also covered selenium tetraazide, a cheerful lemon-yellow solid with the annoying habit of blowing up when it gets warmer than about -64C, which would explain why you don't run into it very often.
    I would heartily recommend reading at least this entry:

Sand won't save you this time
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

THIS SAND MIGHT

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

That's just non-blue majic sand.

Oh man, thank you for the memories. Definitely buying this for the kids.

Wait... it's gluten free. And they are using cookie shapes. Do they want kids to eat it?

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Wait... it's gluten free. And they are using cookie shapes. Do they want kids to eat it?
    Kids have created mudpies since time immemorial.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

And eating sand

Really though, advertising for gluten free SAND?? That's like asbestos free soft drinks isn't it?
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/ar...mentia/382195/

This is really pretty excellent.

Also, the rest of you and your lack of entertaining things makes me sad.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    http://www.theatlantic.com/health/ar...mentia/382195/

This is really pretty excellent.

Also, the rest of you and your lack of entertaining things makes me sad.
    Good article. But I'm not "entertained" by the articles you've posted, Lolli. I know you're trying to start a discussion, and tried to use humor as the spark.

Allow me to take a stab at yor OP, and suggest that there are too many things going on. For example, surfing TV channels has me thinking who are these people? . But if I'm getting a pedicure or manicure, and want to relax, it makes sense if they censor content.

If you want to talk about things that "entertain" us, that's a megathread, indeed.
    Last edited by GGT; 11-21-2014 at 06:55 AM.

Mods can we please rename the thread to "I saw something that didn't entertain GGT"?
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I was not trying to start a discussion, I just wanted to share something I read that I found interesting (and thus entertained me). It wasn't something that really fit into an existing megathread, nor was it something that particularly seemed worth a thread of its own.

Like this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/30143432

Quote Originally Posted by News
    UKIP warns of Schrödinger’s immigrant who ‘lazes around on benefits whilst simultaneously stealing your job’

UKIP have updated Schrödinger’s famous thought experiment by insisting that immigrants exist in a state of both lazing around on benefits whilst simultaneously being out there stealing British jobs.

A UKIP spokesman declared the observation true until said immigrant is directly observed, and that there was a dire need for further studies on the phenomenon.

UKIP’s Roy Jenks explained, “These people clearly need further observation. EU bureaucrats in Brussels have somehow introduced ambiguous and confusing red tape that threatens our widely held lazy stereotypes.”

He continued “Some bloke down the pub who knows – for definite – told me that Romanians in particular have been stealing his job, and if that’s not bad enough, they’re also too lazy to work because cause they’re all on the dole.”

Hobbs added “So it’s tricky.”

“They need to be studied extensively, secure and in isolation for a prolonged period of time for objective results. Many people are surprised how closely these scientific conditions resemble a prison cell in Strangeways.”

We tried to verify these allegations with several migrant workers, though all claimed to be unable to follow Mr Jenks’ line of thinking.

One worker who wished to remain anonymous stated, “He is stupid prick, yes?”

Local employer Simon Williams said that he fully supported UKIP’s latest thought experiment.

“I employ a couple of Europeans, yes. And sure, they certainly put a shift in when they’re at work. But they could equally be at home at the same time being lazy and claiming benefits, couldn’t they?”

“I don’t see what the issue is?”

“This UKIP fella ‘Schrödinger’ sounds smart, how can I vote for him?”

Equally complex:

“A man who lived in a home filled with guns and whose decomposed body was found in an SUV in Pacific Palisades was believed to be a human/alien hybrid secretly working with the U.S. government by his fiancée and a missing Oxnard woman who worked for her, according to the fiancée’s mother.”
    http://ktla.com/2015/07/22/dead-man-...oxnard-mother/