Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: What's cookin' ?

Almost started a new thread about "Cooking Luddites", but remembered my threads usually suck.

Anyway, so I haven't had a microwave oven for almost 5 months in my new abode. My friends and family can't believe it. How do you reheat leftovers, or a cold cup of coffee? How do you cook frozen foods? I have to remind them that I do have electricity, and a cooktop/oven.

I've already said the only thing I really miss is microwave popcorn. While it's true that some frozen foods ONLY have microwave cooking directions, the assumption that everyone has a MW, or has to have a MW is weird and kinda sad.

edit: and while I'm at it, the plethora of designated cooking devices has reached a new level of absurdity. Pasta makers, rice cookers, egg poachers, pannini presses, waffle irons, etc. Appliances that need their own 'garage', but are rarely used. If it makes people feel like they're better cooks, they'll buy them. Crazy.
    Last edited by GGT; 05-02-2018 at 05:24 AM.

queen of the universe littlelolligagged's Avatar
    I own a microwave, and I am reasonably sure no one in my house has used it in about 5 years - some inventions are not improvements and should be avoided.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Hi, Lolli! I agree that many new appliances are stupid. But weren't you raving about getting a new Keurig single cup coffee maker?

IMO those are stupid appliances, too. And they've spawned an entire aisle of single-cup coffees in the grocery store. With all those little plastic cups thrown in the garbage or recycling bins. What a waste
    Last edited by GGT; 05-02-2018 at 05:56 AM.

Yep. And I'm pleased with that, although if it dies I won't be replacing it (because I have found an equally easy but less counter-space option). I'm also really tempted by an Insta-Pot. If something is an actual improvement, why not go for it. A microwave is not an improvement, unless you consider speed the most important thing.

Yeah, my sister told me about the Insta-Pot. It's marketed as being better than a crock-pot or pressure cooker, the new 'magical' cooking appliance. But when I actually looked at it, I wasn't very impressed. But we're always tempted by the promises, huh.

I've seen some pretty rave reviews of it, and the fact that it can function as both seems pretty useful to me. I'm not quite convinced yet, though, since I don't use either with that much frequency and they are not taking up my counter-space.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    I've seen some pretty rave reviews of it, and the fact that it can function as both seems pretty useful to me. I'm not quite convinced yet, though, since I don't use either with that much frequency and they are not taking up my counter-space.
    That's how marketing works; convincing us to buy appliances that multi-task or reduce time spent actually cooking. As if cooking, or spending time in the kitchen is such a bad thing? Also, counter-space is overrated, probably by kitchen designers that get paid by expanding square footage.

One of the best cooking blogs I've seen was a guy using the small space in his NYC studio apartment.

BTW, it's obviously a 'first world' phenomenon that we have kitchen designers, and can *decorate* where we cook eat.

When it comes to cooking, my biggest challenge is cooking for one. Buying produce, meat, recipes -- they're all designed for cooking for a group or family. Even when I cut recipes in half, I still end up with more than I can eat, and end up freezing stuff. My freezer is full but I still want to cook! Oi!
    Last edited by GGT; 05-02-2018 at 07:05 AM.

The Guardian has some very good articles about the foods we cook and eat, and the industries surrounding food in general.

This may not be the right thread to say this (because it was probably intended to simply share recipes), but I'm amazed at how quickly food has become political in my own lifetime. When I was young, "eating out" at restaurants was considered a special treat. Some restaurants had incentives for kids that were picky eaters (pick a toy/prize from the treasure chest if you clean your plate). The "doggie bag" was literally meant to take bones home for the pet dog.

In my youth, long before McDonald's had served millions, let alone billions, I considered that a special treat. It was unique, and somehow different from the A&W drive-in, or the local diner, that served the same burgers and shakes. Maybe it was the french fries cooked in beef lard, perfectly salted, and served piping hot in a paper sleeve that hooked me at such a young age? I dunno. But it came at a time when "home cooking" was considered something only poor people did, because they couldn't afford to "eat out".

BTW, for context: the few times I ate Chinese in my youth, it was in a restaurant. And the first time I can remember eating a delivery pizza, I was in college. But I do have fond memories of going to Shakey's Pizza Parlor with my family, and singing along with the bouncing ball
    Last edited by GGT; 05-09-2018 at 06:17 AM.