Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: What's cookin' ?

Less fancy but I made a nice goulash I love stews directly when it gets cold outside.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

It got cold and snowy, so I made a tomato spaghetti sauce, split pea soup with ham, and chicken soup with noodles. Then I had to rearrange my freezer.

Oh nice, I love pea soup

And my girlfriend is making me pierogi for tonight

Packed lunches. Cold sandwich or hot soup? hmmm

Smoked elk rump and heart. The meat is very lean and heavily smoked, so best served with fresh bread and a LOT of butter. I think heart tastes better when grilled, but smoking is more traditional. The meat slicer seems like an absurdly useless bit of kit except for moments like these when it's worth its weight in fresh game meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Less fancy but I made a nice goulash I love stews directly when it gets cold outside.
    When we were kids they used to serve us goulash at school that was basically a crappy broth. Only as an adult did I learn how frickin' delicious it can be I like the Alton Brown version but spicier

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    It got cold and snowy, so I made a tomato spaghetti sauce, split pea soup with ham, and chicken soup with noodles.
    Oh man, split pea soup and ham... *drools* I always eat way, WAY too much, and then spend the rest of the evening in a food coma :/ for a Bengali twist, garnish with a little tamarind water and/or with toasted nigella seeds & cumin, and fried garlic & shallots

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    And my girlfriend is making me pierogi for tonight
    Wait is she Polish? 'o

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Packed lunches. Cold sandwich or hot soup? hmmm
    Hot sandwiches and cold soup
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

My favorite hot school lunch was basically beef hamburger and elbow macaroni baked in a tomato sauce. We called it "Goulash". (That was before Hamburger Helper was invented!) Probably easier and cheaper to make/serve than Lasagna with cheese.

I had marinated and roasted elk meat in Montana, but only as an appetizer served on toothpicks. Tasty, but on the dry side.

Yes, she's polish. So I do make polish style goulash (stew not soup), best with potato pancakes! I have no idea what Alton Brown version is like.