Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What's cookin' ?

I don't know Rand, that seems the path to eating disorders....eating shouldn't be a negative. I don't think there's a problem with telling them "This is what we're eating" but I've never understood people who force their kids to eat every morsel on their plate. What if the kid is full before then? (I'm okay with no dessert and such, it's just the EAT EVERYTHING ON YOUR PLATE that always worries me)

In my parents' house the rule was "at least try it". If we absolutely hated it, then no worries, just eat everything else we liked. I can't imagine if my mom had forced me to eat nasty spinach....

Also, Scarlett isn't even two yet guys....as long as she eats a variety throughout the week who cares if she eats only meat one meal and veggies another? Toddlers take awhile to get the whole "Variety" concept

EDIT: How did you do that OG? Pierce the dogs with uncooked spaghetti and then boil it all? It's kinda cute, especially if it got the older kids involved in helping

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Or:
    C: Tell them to eat what's on their plate or they'll go to bed hungry. No dessert (or TV or computer) unless they've finished what's on their plate either.
    Then they quickly grow up out of it.
    You don't do that with the very young, they are well aware of how to fill up on drink. They burn through intake so fast its incredibly hard to keep everything at the right levels and balanced properly. Scarlett is already in the lower percentile for weight, and her iron is lower than it should be, while at the same time sodium is both the enemy and in everything.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Catgrrl View Post
    EDIT: How did you do that OG? Pierce the dogs with uncooked spaghetti and then boil it all? It's kinda cute, especially if it got the older kids involved in helping
    cook the hot dogs first, slice them in about half inch sections, pierce with uncooked spaghetti and then cook as you would spaghetti, but maybe for a little longer (I did 10 mnutes at boil instead of 8) to make sure the noodles inside the dog are softened.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 08-06-2011 at 12:30 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Or:

C: Tell them to eat what's on their plate or they'll go to bed hungry. No dessert (or TV or computer) unless they've finished what's on their plate either.

Then they quickly grow up out of it.
    Bad idea. As I said, it's an evolutionary leftover, just like puberty. And I'm sure you know that you simply cannot force youngsters out of puberty.
    Yes, it's annoying. It's also one of those phases you simply cannot rush, only influence a bit. And the sledgehammer-approach won't work at all.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Catgrrl View Post
    I don't know Rand, that seems the path to eating disorders....eating shouldn't be a negative. I don't think there's a problem with telling them "This is what we're eating" but I've never understood people who force their kids to eat every morsel on their plate. What if the kid is full before then? (I'm okay with no dessert and such, it's just the EAT EVERYTHING ON YOUR PLATE that always worries me)

In my parents' house the rule was "at least try it". If we absolutely hated it, then no worries, just eat everything else we liked. I can't imagine if my mom had forced me to eat nasty spinach....

Also, Scarlett isn't even two yet guys....as long as she eats a variety throughout the week who cares if she eats only meat one meal and veggies another? Toddlers take awhile to get the whole "Variety" concept

Scarlett's still a baby, I was talking about older kids.

I don't think you should force a child to eat too much, but I don't think (older) kids should get a different meal just because they were fussy. My parents attitude has always been you'll eat what you're given or you won't eat, so now I eat anything.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    I'll have to try the cucumber in stew sometime. Assuming it's not peeled first?
    I peeled it as it was that was written in the receipt.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    You don't do that with the very young, they are well aware of how to fill up on drink. They burn through intake so fast its incredibly hard to keep everything at the right levels and balanced properly. Scarlett is already in the lower percentile for weight, and her iron is lower than it should be, while at the same time sodium is both the enemy and in everything.
    That's why you avoid packaged foods.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Scarlett's still a baby, I was talking about older kids.

I don't think you should force a child to eat too much, but I don't think (older) kids should get a different meal just because they were fussy. My parents attitude has always been you'll eat what you're given or you won't eat, so now I eat anything.
    That's mistaking correlation for causality. Again, it's a phase. It will pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    That's mistaking correlation for causality. Again, it's a phase. It will pass.
    It won't pass if you give in every time. I know you'll say correlation again but I know plenty of people whose parents give in every time who then grow up to be the fussiest of eaters.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    That's why you avoid packaged foods.
    I do what I can when circumstances allow. Got lucky this season because she has an insatiable hunger when it comes to peaches. Walmart had been selling Georgia peaches for 88 cents a pound. We went through so many damn peaches . They weren't as juicy as Publix's peaches from farther away, almost had the dryness of an apple, but for 1/3 the price, I can't complain to much.

We went from strawberries to peaches, now I need to find the next cheap fruit to keep her away from my junk food stash...
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 08-06-2011 at 03:55 PM.

K is addicted to peaches now too...the "eastern" variety, whatever that means. I assume it means anywhere from VA to GA.....but these are the juicy ones. Thinking of buying a bunch from the farmer's market and freezing them so when they're out of season she won't freak out.

My "cheap" fruit I can always get her to eat are red grapes....that girl is crazy for grapes! And frozen blueberries...not as cheap but easy to store; I just put some in a rubbermaid container and thaw overnight...she will eat every single one without dropping one (a miracle for her).

I just had a peanut butter and Nutella sandwich for a snack while she's napping....

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    I do what I can when circumstances allow. Got lucky this season because she has an insatiable hunger when it comes to peaches. Walmart had been selling Georgia peaches for 88 cents a pound. We went through so many damn peaches . They weren't as juicy as Publix's peaches from farther away, almost had the dryness of an apple, but for 1/3 the price, I can't complain to much. We went from starberries to peaches, now I need to find the next cheap fruit to keep her away from my junk food stash.
    My aversion to most packaged foods is actually because of the sodium, that's why I couldn't resist the opportunity.

Both of my kids have always loved fruit - although he dislikes oranges, and she doesn't much like apples. Does Scarlett like yogurt?

He is actually a quite picky eater, it's just that what he chooses to eat is so absurdly healthy that no one ever understands why I would want to complain.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

It won't pass if you give in every time. I know you'll say correlation again but I know plenty of people whose parents give in every time who then grow up to be the fussiest of eaters.
    I don't buy that. Again, it's a biological phase like puberty. A baby will eat nearly anthying their parents give them. Upon reaching a certain age, they'll begin to reject some foods. That has several different possible reasons.
    For instance, your example of having to "stay strong in the face of adversity" may cause the exact opposite of what you want.

Ever watched a small child fall down and, say, bump its knees? Sometimes it will look around and see if anyone noticed. If the mother watched, then it will begin to cry, the mother will make a fuss over it and so on. Happens because the kid knows that if it cries, it will get attention.
    Same thing with food. Sometimes it's not so much about the food itself, it's about the attention. Any kind of attention. And if they get that attention, it will reinforce that particular behaviour.
    Sometimes it's best to simply ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    I don't buy that. Again, it's a biological phase like puberty. A baby will eat nearly anthying their parents give them. Upon reaching a certain age, they'll begin to reject some foods. That has several different possible reasons.
    For instance, your example of having to "stay strong in the face of adversity" may cause the exact opposite of what you want.

Ever watched a small child fall down and, say, bump its knees? Sometimes it will look around and see if anyone noticed. If the mother watched, then it will begin to cry, the mother will make a fuss over it and so on. Happens because the kid knows that if it cries, it will get attention.
    Same thing with food. Sometimes it's not so much about the food itself, it's about the attention. Any kind of attention. And if they get that attention, it will reinforce that particular behaviour.
    Sometimes it's best to simply ignore it.
    Again it depends what type of child you're talking about. I've already said I'm not referring to babies. For children say 6-12 (ish) though it becomes different.

Again it depends what type of child you're talking about. I've already said I'm not referring to babies. For children say 6-12 (ish) though it becomes different.
    The proccess of "wanting attention" is not limited to babies. It also works for toddlers, schoolchildren, teenagers and adults. It's basic psychology - and it does not simply disappear with age. If anything, it becomes more sophisticated.

I myself can remember at least two occasions in my adult life where I did something pretty daft to get attention from someone who I thought was neglecting me.

Or did you never hear of the tactic: "I want his/her attention, so I'll flirt with someone else and make him/her jealous"? Same thing, really.

Anyways, making chocolate chip cookies

Quote Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
    I peeled it as it was that was written in the receipt.
    Good to know. Peeled cukes are very different from ones with skin.

This is the strangest yet loveliest thread! Somehow "what's cookin'?" turned into philosophies about feeding children, not just recipes or whatever.

Rand, you have some pretty old fashioned ideas about nourishing children. It may have worked for you, but that doesn't mean it works for all other kids. I used to hide brussel sprouts in my napkin, tried to feed broccoli to our dogs under the table, and would pretend to eat peas by drinking milk and leaving an inch in the bottom of the glass, filled with peas.

I hated vegetables as a kid. HATED them. Hated their color, texture, smell, taste. Especially green peas that would POP in my mouth, and extrude this awful, nasty, disgusting, mushy ooze. It was enough to make me barf, literally. Some of that is because, when I was a kid, almost all of our veggies were canned or frozen. I hadn't tasted fresh broccoli or asparagus (or peas) until my late 20s-early 30s. We never had a fresh spinach salad at home, and didn't know what mescaline meant *other than a recreational drug*. Ask any kid raised in the 60s what their vegetable memories are, and if they didn't live on a farm....it's probably not a good memory.

Anyhow. Kids consume their calories and nutritional needs over a week, or even a month. It's silly to think a child's diet can be balanced daily. That's actually detrimental and can set up eating disorders and future power/control issues. Sometimes little kids will only eat cheese and fruit, every damn day. Or cereal with milk, every damn day. Then it turns to noodles and hotdogs, every damn day. But over a week's or month's time, they did indeed get all their nutritional requirements, with some icky greens snuck in by blending them in spaghetti sauce or a smoothie.

It always seemed like a power or control issue, or some type of denial, if a parent keeps insisting that small children eat what's put on their plate. Especially if the parent knows their child HATES certain things, but keeps serving them. It also seems cruel to send that child to bed on an empty stomach, simply because their "tastes" were ignored. Really, it's no big deal to give a kid a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, with a fruit and yogurt, and a big honkin' glass of chocolate or strawberry milk......instead of expecting them to eat scallops sauteed in garlic with an endive salad and balsamic vinaigrette dressing.

Seriously. Tastes for foods and their complexities can take a lifetime. Forcing it on anyone won't make a damn bit of difference. Depriving little kids of nutrition, well that's something else entirely.

I remember, as a kid I was told that if I put it on my plate, I had to eat all of it. If someone else filled my plate (restaurant or someone dishing from larger bowl or whatever) I didn't have to eat it all. I was also told I had to at least try things once. If I didn't like it after giving it a fair try (not a teeny nibble, but a real bite) I didn't have to finish what was on my plate, and I didn't have to have it again until I wanted to try it again. We used this approach on The Kid and he will eat just about anything! He definitely did not become a picky eater because we allowed him to make his own choices at the table. If anything, it acquainted him with a variety of new tastes and textures in foods!

I suppose I am such an oddball, but I don't like most veggies at all. I do love corn, cooked any way, but most of the rest of those nasty, yucky things should be fed to the chickens! I like fresh from the garden green beans and peas, but never canned or frozen ones. I despise tomatoes, but love tomato sauces (not just plain tho, must have many seasonings in it) and ketchup. I eat a lot of onion now that I am an adult! And I love potatoes! On rare occasions I like a lettuce salad, but very rare occasions! Celery is ok if salted, and carrots are all right if raw.

I enjoy most fresh fruit, but hardly ever get any because of the price. I have splurged this summer on watermelon, grapes, plums, and peaches. Doing that means cutting out other food stuffs like milk and eggs tho, due to the cost! I have to be careful with oranges and grapefruit because of an allergy to citric acid, but I love both of them!

Meat is a different story completely. I abhor mutton or lamb and veal! I simply can NOT gag down liver of any kind. I love beef in almost any incarnation except roast...unless said roast is in a french dip sandwich! As a kid, when Mom and Dad had roast beef, I always ate a can of Campbell's chicken noodle soup. For variety, since there was a lot of roasting going on at our house, I would mix chicken noodle and cream of chicken. That has a whole different flavor/texture than that nasty creamy chicken noodle crap. (Unfortunately for me and millions of others who remember when soups were seasoned right in the canning process, all this shit is heading for low- to no-sodium. It pisses me off to have to salt and pepper a can of soup! )

We always had meat in the freezer. We raised and butchered our own beef, pork, and chicken, then froze it or canned it for later use. I don't feel it's a meal without a nice cut of meat on my plate!
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

I'm not into steamed veggies, unless it is a very light steam. I hate mushy veggies. I'd rather eat them raw if possible. If they are in casseroles, soups and stews, the mushiness doesn't bother me (usually because pasta and meat is mixed in there). It's probably like GGT says, the canned food aspect. Now that I am grown, we do a lot of grilled veggies or a real light saute. I still won't eat spinach unless it is raw baby spinach in a salad. So, knowing my textural issues, I'll never force something on K. But I will ask her to at least try it.

Funny enough, the way I got into eating cooked broccoli was trying it at one of those "Mongolian" grills, where you put all your food in one bowl and then they cook it on that flat griddle they have.... My love for zucchini came from Hibachi. So, I've tried giving K veggies based on this experience. Maybe one day she will warm up to them, but right now the only veggies she eats is green beans. She's a fruit addict, though!

There's a girl coming over tonight and I'm making a lasagna with spinach, cod fillet, and north sea shrimp Possibly with a rucola soup as a starter.

Now first I have to go back to the store because I forgot to buy the fucking spinach...
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

The lasagne as a main? The cod and shrimp as a side? A starter?

Can't quite figure how cod n shrimp go with lasagne ...

Simple, make a layer of spinach, add a layer of creamy pesto sauce, then the lasagna, then spinach, poached cod, shrimp, sauce, lasagna, spinach, cod, shrimp, sauce, lasagna, sauce, cheese.

No reason a lasagna has to be tomato sauce I also have a great recipe for vegetarian lasagna with a spicy tomato/mushroom layer and a cream/cheese/mustard/broccoli layer.

Oooh, I absolutely love seafood lasagne.

Have had some serious kitchen abstinence while away working this summer, so I've kept myself busy this weekend now that work is over and I have lots of time. Highlights: salmon korma[ybe]; a kind of chicken biryani flavoured with maple syrup; squash-leaf dolma--some fried and some steamed--stuffed with a semi-spicy blend of shrimp and veggies, blessed by the almighty mustard-seed oil. I, too, am stuffed. It's nice to cook and eat properly again <3 I've never actually done anything with squash leaves before, filched them from my mum's balcony and boy were they WEIRD. Weird but delicious. Would probably have been easier to make the dolma if I'd steamed the leaves a little beforehand.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Being wined and dined tonight... the ginger one whipped together beef roulades and aubergine au gratin. Ridiculously yummy and apparently very simple. You take thin slices of beef, spread good cheese on them (cream cheese + something fancy and moldy ), roll 'em up, salt and pepper and fry 'em lightly in butter with eg. some mushrooms. Add some cream and voila, beef roulades in sauce. The aubergines were just sliced and spiced and gratinated in cream for a while with some good cheese on top. My upper GI tract is like my heart is like the wine probably helps.

Sounds tasty

Haven't cooked today, or yesterday, but saturday I made a delicious, very Dutch () meal of boiled potatoes with some (real) butter, a fried plaice fillet (it's a flatfish), and a salad of lettuce, tomatoes, apple, shallot, and radish. Extremely simple, extremely tasty

BRAN MUFFINS

(guaranteed to clean your gut)

Large quantity, reduction not recommended, can keep mixture covered tightly and refrigerated up to 6 weeks.

In large pot or soup kettle:

Combine 1 cup melted margarine or butter with 2 cups boiling water. Let cool.
    Add:
    2 cups sugar
    2 teaspoons salt
    4 eggs
    4 cups Bran Buds
    2 cups All Bran
    5 cups flour
    1 quart buttermilk
    5 teaspoons baking soda

Mix well and Bake in muffin tins @ 350-375 degrees for twenty minutes

Thought there was applesauce but maybe that's a new substitute for sugar.

I thought for a moment you'd made brain muffins

Well, eat a couple of those muffins in one day and you may shit your brains out. The guy who gave me the recipe was a twisted intern who brought these muffins instead of donuts, and didn't tell anyone the ingredients. They taste really good! Here, have another!

I hate his accent but love what he does: