Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What's cookin' ?

Default What's cookin' ?

Enough cooks in the house for a thread of this sort?

Dunno.

~

Tonight, I are mostly be eating ...

Easy Chicken sort of paella hot-pot thingy
    Serves 2.

1 onion
    2 cloves garlic (excessive but I heart garlic)
    1 red bell pepper
    1 tomato
    150g bomba paella rice
    400g chicken breast (or thighs if you don't mind picking at bones)
    50ml white wine
    300ml chicken stock
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1/2 tsp paprika

~

- preheat oven to 180C (dunno what that is in F)
    - Put oil in pan and cook chicken for 10 mins till brown
    - Move chicken to warm plate
    - Stick onion, pepper and garlic in pan and cook for 5 mins till soft
    - add paprika, rice and tomato and stir around till coated in oil
    - add wine and stock, season, then bring to boil
    - simmer till rice is not soupy but not dry
    - empty pan into oven-proof dish and place chicken on top
    - stick in oven and cook for 20-25 mins
    - serve, and garnish with fresh chopped parsley if desired

~

Simples

Cheap, easy, healthy and yumptious.

And involves opening a bottle of wine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

That would be 350F on most ovens, some can't do 355 or 356F.

Something I've found to surprisingly good, and cheap, are these newer box meals. Under $4 ($2 at BigLots), and it feeds the entire family. Depending on the box you pick up you can add a can of veggies, or serve it over butter noodles for a more awesome dinner.

Cause the baby doesn't give me shit for time to cook.

Sounds tasty, Bukaroo.

I'm all in favor of a food thread.

Or a man to come cook for me.

edit: Ugh, processed food. Don't feed your kids that crap, OG. I can make food from fresh ingredients in the same amount of time it takes you to mix up your box meal and put it in the oven. And you can buy large packages of sauce-free frozen veggies at Publix (I know you shop there occasionally) quite cheaply to save the chopping time.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Fresh ingredients aren't foreign to us, but the box meals last longer and come cheaper. WIC doesn't do frozen (or fresh) veggies, and we're ending up with 9-10 cans of veggies a week. We end up putting them in, or serving them with, everything.

I'm not competing with Bitter here, but I am saying they are a step up from my last food thread entry of redeepfried McD chicken nuggets with ranch and ketchup toppings.

I'm sorry, but you're not going to get much faster than open, dump, stir, and put in oven.

Well, the old lady and I split up…. So as to not let myself sit idly by on a weekend, I invited this girl I recently met to hang out with me this evening. We’re going to go to Ikea to pick out a coffee table, and then grab a cinnamon role and a hotdog from there.

Yummy!!!!

Yeah I know, when I take a woman out, I go all out!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    It's not okay to shoot an innocent bank clerk but shooting a felon to death is commendable and do you should receive a reward rather than a punishment

Are we going to go through a whole new series of "I'm a stud" posts?

Sorry to hear about the breakup, but seems you rebounded fast enough.

Wait. This is a food thread?

ReDeepFried McNuggets?
    Really?

I am not sure if that beats Totinos Pizza rolls on a triscuit.

I need to prepare better food options for lunch at work.
    I've gained weight at my new job. Is that because I am happy, or because I work so much I don't have time to plan my lunches better?

I gotta change that.

We had lazy dinner tonight.

Piggies in blankets - 100% processed food. Seems funny, considering I just bitched at OG about that. But it does happen rarely at my house.

Anyway, ballpark cheese dogs wrapped in Pillsbury crescent rolls.

I really dislike hot dogs, but the kiddos were very happy. Usually, when I give them hot dogs I heat myself up soup or some other leftover from the freezer, but I was lacking.

Tomorrow is steak and tater and salad night, though.

Dust your steak with espresso before you sear it. let me tell you....

I will.

Stir-fried leftovers with brown rice and five spice. Suprisingly tasty, but having leftover prawns and pancetta helps.
    There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    Sounds tasty, Bukaroo.

I'm all in favor of a food thread.

Or a man to come cook for me.

edit: Ugh, processed food. Don't feed your kids that crap, OG. I can make food from fresh ingredients in the same amount of time it takes you to mix up your box meal and put it in the oven. And you can buy large packages of sauce-free frozen veggies at Publix (I know you shop there occasionally) quite cheaply to save the chopping time.
    I make a wicked Japanese style Ramen bowl. My buddy has the recipe I use, but whenever I get it back I'll post it up here.

Anyone like noodle food?

I use instant noodles as a staple "I have nothing in and no time to cook" food. Always have some in, in the cupboard.

That's part of the problem. "Processed" food can last months/years, fresh food will be off within days. If I buy fresh food not for a meal I already have planned tonight, most of it gets binned. So I generally now buy food once I've decided what meal we're having tonight, which means most nights not using fresh food.

Long week at work. Took a very long certification examination. Friend tried to convince me to go to another borough for some drinks, but I couldn't muster the energy so I went to the gym and got take out...

Hummus with pita. And Labne. And Zionist Salad. Then I spoke on the phone with my friend downtown who was cooking. She was cooking:

Chicken with gravy and mushrooms.

I keep frozen meat/veg on hand. I buy meat and split it into meal-sized portions and freeze it. Get up in the morning, thaw the mezt I want to use, and cook it that night. Toss the veg on frozen near dinnertime, it thaws. I keep potato, onion, and pasta available to go with what I thaw - and things like canned tomato (salt-free) or even cream of chicken soup.

"I have no time to cook" really annoys me.

I had King prawns cooked in ginger, garlic and salsa over a bed of jasmin rice and cold beer for lunch, then had home made sushi rolls with my special mix of soy/tabasco/lime/garlic/ginger (also with cold beer).

Needless to say I am comfortable and content - and a bit smelly.
    Such is Life...

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    If I buy fresh food not for a meal I already have planned tonight, most of it gets binned. So I generally now buy food once I've decided what meal we're having tonight, which means most nights not using fresh food.
    We plan our meals a week at a time. Things that are best very fresh (ifish etc) at the start of the week, through to meals I can make from the store cupboard at the end (pasta putanescca works a treat). If you make double and freeze half it normally works out cheaper than doing a different meal every night, and you don't have to buy processed food.

We had our kitchen ripped out a few weeks ago, and it's replacement should be finished today. We've largely been living off microwave meals in the interim. Most seemed pretty nasty, and even the posh 'Innocent' veg pots got dull quickly. I'll feel a lot better when I can get my kitchen

.... fresh food will be off within days. If I buy fresh food not for a meal I already have planned tonight, most of it gets binned. So I generally now buy food once I've decided what meal we're having tonight, which means most nights not using fresh food.
    The european way to shop. I think that's why your fridges are generally smaller than ours, in the US they're fucking HUGE. Most people shop once a week or even once a month, using a car and loading up. We don't have the fresh market stalls to make it convenient to shop every day....

Fresh lettuce is my problem, even using a lettuce-keeper it goes bad faster than we can eat it.

One of the biggest reasons we want to move is to get a proper kitchen. The house we're renting atm is tiny. The kitchen has everything officially, but after we've moved in it turns out its all crap. The oven is the size of a microwave and doesn't cook properly. The fridge is tiny and doesn't keep food fresh properly.

One of the main things we're looking for in the houses we're looking at is a good kitchen. But there's no way to fix this one, if you stand in the middle of this one you can touch all 4 walls by putting your hands out. There's no space to install any normal equipment

A lot of your suggestions involve freezing etc - what if that's not an option? I don't even have the space for a pantry or storing goods. Before we move out I should upload a pic of the kitchen here!

How bad is the tiny fridge?

Just roasted a whole prime beef fillet with spuds, carrots, sweet spuds, pumpkin and corn cobs.

I encrusted the fillet with ground pepper & salt, a little garlic, basil and threw in some coriander.

I placed the whole lot in my cast iron roasting dish and cooked inside my BBQ for just under 2 hours at 200C and it was absolutely divine with a little gravy and a glass of Margaret River Red Wine to wash it down.

The key to the whole dish was 375ml of Crown Lager beer poured over the meat and vegies just as it enters the oven/BBQ.

De-fucking-licious.
    Such is Life...

Quote Originally Posted by lolli
    How bad is the tiny fridge?
    Bad: I won't keep a bottle of milk for more than 24 hours, even when it had 10 days on its shelf life.

Bad: I won't keep a bottle of milk for more than 24 hours, even when it had 10 days on its shelf life.
    A couple things...

1. Surely as a tenant you have the right to either replace/repair the fridge at the landlords expense or have the rent reduced accordingly. (I'm assuming the house is furnished)
    2. If you don't (for some reason) have that right, surely you could (would) just go and buy a little beer fridge to keep your food fresh.
    3. If you end up buying a home you will already have a great beer fridge for yourself.

I can't imagine living for more than a few days with dodgy refrigeration - even in a colder climate.

Warm beer is an affront to civilisation and curdled milk is just fucking disgusting, let alone eggs and fresh veg.
    Such is Life...

One of the main things we're looking for in the houses we're looking at is a good kitchen. But there's no way to fix this one, if you stand in the middle of this one you can touch all 4 walls by putting your hands out. There's no space to install any normal equipment
    Well that sucks! Best of luck in finding a nicer place.

Can't keep milk for longer than 24 hours?

Thats ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

In that case, move as fast as you possibly can.

I would like to know why you didn't actually inspect the place before you moved in, though.

And I give up on thinking you can actually create proper meals regularly.

Simple tonight, fried plaice, oven baked potatoes, and carrots & fennel.

Last night I made fried duck breast with mushrooms, balsamico-wine-honey gravy, and mashed potatoes with carrot
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

You're a Jew of wealth and taste
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    You're a Jew of wealth and taste
    Exactly what I thought.
    Such is Life...