Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: What's cookin' ?

Less fancy but I made a nice goulash I love stews directly when it gets cold outside.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

It got cold and snowy, so I made a tomato spaghetti sauce, split pea soup with ham, and chicken soup with noodles. Then I had to rearrange my freezer.

Oh nice, I love pea soup

And my girlfriend is making me pierogi for tonight

Packed lunches. Cold sandwich or hot soup? hmmm

Smoked elk rump and heart. The meat is very lean and heavily smoked, so best served with fresh bread and a LOT of butter. I think heart tastes better when grilled, but smoking is more traditional. The meat slicer seems like an absurdly useless bit of kit except for moments like these when it's worth its weight in fresh game meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Less fancy but I made a nice goulash I love stews directly when it gets cold outside.
    When we were kids they used to serve us goulash at school that was basically a crappy broth. Only as an adult did I learn how frickin' delicious it can be I like the Alton Brown version but spicier

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    It got cold and snowy, so I made a tomato spaghetti sauce, split pea soup with ham, and chicken soup with noodles.
    Oh man, split pea soup and ham... *drools* I always eat way, WAY too much, and then spend the rest of the evening in a food coma :/ for a Bengali twist, garnish with a little tamarind water and/or with toasted nigella seeds & cumin, and fried garlic & shallots

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    And my girlfriend is making me pierogi for tonight
    Wait is she Polish? 'o

Packed lunches. Cold sandwich or hot soup? hmmm
    Hot sandwiches and cold soup
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

My favorite hot school lunch was basically beef hamburger and elbow macaroni baked in a tomato sauce. We called it "Goulash". (That was before Hamburger Helper was invented!) Probably easier and cheaper to make/serve than Lasagna with cheese.

I had marinated and roasted elk meat in Montana, but only as an appetizer served on toothpicks. Tasty, but on the dry side.

Yes, she's polish. So I do make polish style goulash (stew not soup), best with potato pancakes! I have no idea what Alton Brown version is like.

I have a recipe called goulash that is mostly beef chunks cooked with a bunch of paprika and it is delicious. While I am sure the authentic dish is worlds better, I am not going to complain about easy delicious beefy happiness. (with noodles, this potato idea has me intrigued and will probably happen next time).
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

The above videos pretty much describe my son's love of cooking, and why he's chosen the path of cooking.

He often says, "Never forget your roots. Do what you love. Make other people happy. Don't forget butter and salt."

That pretty much sums up why he does what he does, sometimes 14 hours a day, 7 days a week, on holidays and weekends....with no benefits like health insurance or a retirement plan. Please remember that the next time you eat at a restaurant, whether it's at a chain like Ruby Tuesday, or at an award-winning Michelin star restaurant. He does what he does because he loves making the food just as much as he loves the people he's cooking for.

And don't forget that whether you order a pizza, a burger, Chinese take-out, or a bangin' truffle risotto....there's a team of people behind every dish. Appreciate that. And don't just give good tips for the waitstaff. If you love your meal, maybe buy the kitchen staff a beer or a shot, because that goes a long way for the people that often go unseen. That gratitude matters. And can keep them going.

Merry Christmas!

And remember that if/when you make dinner reservations....or expect to "walk-in"....on New Year's Eve!

I got some pork chops and sauerkraut for New Year's Day because it was on sale the night before. Ha! But I also made oxtail soup yesterday (for the first time) and my son chopped all the vegetables (at the end of his very long day of chopping) because the arthritis in my hands was acting up. It's a very special soup.

Something I don't understand: Caribbean island tourists thinking Beef Wellington is a great menu item.

Being home alone is boring so I've been consoling myself with food that has been on the banned list these past few months

Sriracha-cured salmon on a bed of steamed fennel & seaweed noodles, garnished with fennel birista. Ginger & lemon dressing, avocado salsa. The fennel looks dodgy but it is the BOMB. I reckon I could become a pescatarian.

Something I don't understand: Caribbean island tourists thinking Beef Wellington is a great menu item.
    Filet mignon is the most overrated cut of meat

Looks good!

And a good beef Wellington is nice, though i wouldn't order it on a Caribbean island.

Portuguese almond cake (toucinho do céu) with yogurt, agave and walnuts, courtesy of my dear missus

This stuff is not quite crack but definitely crack-adjacent

Almond cake with strawberries and caramelized white chocolate crumble

Still have to tweak the cake; it's nowhere near as light and moist as it is when I bake a full batch in a proper cake pan. Nevertheless, the flavours are great and that caramelized white chocolate crumble should be a controlled substance (it's very easy to make and absolutely worth the effort). The frosting is strained yogurt whipped together with vanilla and some toasted buttermilk.

Secret Ingredient Chicken Soup

A spicy twist on my mother's renown chicken soup, the recipe for which is so secret that it was shared with us—and only us—just recently. Home-grown greens—pak choi, pickled cucumber, coriander, chives—with added layers of flavor from a little yuzukoshō and some chili & garlic oil. This is what I always see before me whenever I find myself in possession of good homemade chicken stock—or, as was the case here, guineafowl stock.

Slow-roasted fennel with redcurrant-cured salmon, pickled radishes and garden-fresh basil spread. Fresh fennel is really great right now, and goes incredibly well with salmon, as do both strawberries and basil. Should make a strawberry balsamico sauce next time. I'm really enjoying this season so far

Been eating mostly vegetarian and vegan meals the past few weeks, getting a feel for Bengali techniques now that my mother's here and finally willing to share some of her sneakiest secret cooking tricks.

Delicate but incredibly flavorful fish curry with a little bulgur:

Cod isn't a Bengali fish but it's a great choice for this type of curry. I could honestly just live off of that broth and some tomatoes and shallots.

Rich, creamy, sautéed aubergine:

I still haven't quite gotten the hang of it, but getting there.

Hearty niramish:

This is one of my favourite vegetarian dishes in the whole world, and I've only just now learned the key secret ingredient. I can never get the flavouring, textures and consistencies right - it's a rustic-looking dish that my mother can whip up on a moment's notice, yet it's probably one of the most complexly flavoured and sophisticated dishes in her repertoire.

Bhaji with savoy cabbage, cauliflower, potato, carrots and onion:

Pretty much anyone can make this; it's extremely simple and extremely satisfying.

Almond crunch munch:

Variation on one of the best desserts I've made this past year, and it takes basically just a few minutes of work. Going on the summer café menu should probably use a lighter, softer chocolate.
    Last edited by Aimless; 04-02-2020 at 12:05 PM.

I keep getting crappy recipes from my (bored & retired sister) who's rarely cooked a meal but is now stuck at home....sigh

I always get so hungry when Minxie posts here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Tweaked our oatmeal crumble and it is now a heavenly rich, delicate, chewy (just a little salty) caramel delight.

Bilberry (wild European blueberry) pie/crumble. The bilberries (foraged right here in town ) are packed with flavor, with a balanced acidity that complements the crumble as well as the vanilla custard sauce perfectly. It's my wife's specialty, and I know of no better version of this simple but luxurious treat.

The best damn' apple pie I've ever made—or had. Apples stolen from my in-laws' garden they set perfectly in a soft but firm and chewy mass of tart, sweet caramel goodness. We've got loads more to use up so I reckon I'll be well sick of this stuff before summer's over.

Autumn dinner: elk loin with chantrelles aux fines herbes and smoky balsamico-marinated cherry tomatoes. Practically everything on this plate was hunted, foraged, grown or baked within ~50km from here! Show your inner locovore some love this week

Looks and sounds lovely. But please be aware that your posts can sound arrogant or tone deaf to people who work in the US food global restaurant industry, who've been put out of work during the pandemic, and to anyone who can't forage or hunt their way to a good meal, like you can.
    Last edited by GGT; 09-21-2020 at 04:46 AM.

I don't mean to pick on you, Aimless. I was just reminded that food is more political then ever.

When my sister came to visit this weekend she didn't want my home-made chili or spicy curry stir-fry. She reluctantly ate the lunch I made for her, poked at it mostly, and acted polite. What she *really* wanted was to get carry-out Vietnamese, and Popeye's chicken sandwiches. Then she mused about Thanksgiving possibly being a catered event so no one would have to be "burdened" by cooking....somehow oblivious to the fact that her nephews would be the people working in commercial kitchens so that people like her wouldn't have to cook on a "holiday".

No worries; I am well aware of how difficult this year has been for many, and have no desire to argue about or trivialize their difficulties. I haven't exactly had to work very hard to gather the ingredients for that meal... the elk was courtesy of my wife, along with the tomatoes, zucchini and herbs, while the mushrooms and berries were from my in-laws. I get the impression a lot of people have discovered the satisfaction of urban gardening (indoors or on balconies etc) this year. It might not save much money, but it's something positive and constructive that you have some control over—unlike the disaster and chaos afflicting the rest of the world. And it's nice having green things around.

But I AM arguing about the politics of food, especially when it comes to the US Thanksgiving holiday (aka Turkey Day) that's gotten fucked up.

Not just from the food aspect but the traveling restrictions that keep families apart. What's supposed to be a celebration of family (with food) has turned into free frozen turkeys for the poor, or catered events for the privileged. No amount of urban foraging or balcony gardening can change the fact that families can't gather like they used to, because of this pandemic.

It hurts me that my sister can't see how our family (her nephews that work in the food industry) might have to choose between their job and their health, in order to cook for other privileged people (like her) who want to keep their "family meal" traditions by hosting a catered event. Or that she'd expect our other sister (who happens to be vegan) would drive 12 hours for a "family meal", simply because it's on the calendar as a National Holiday.

Sorry if I'm rambling. I'm having a hard time dealing with our societal dysfunctions, and my dysfunctional family dynamics, in the covid era.

Re-direct: Bacon jam. Pain perdu. Omelettes and frittatas. Eggs Benedict. Cheesy potato/onion hash casserole. Roasted pork butt with pan gravy. Fig spread (there's probably a name for that but I don't know it) on toasted cream cheese bagels. Homemade buttermilk biscuits. Midnight pasta. Spicy ginger noodles. Hummus. Roasted brusselsprouts. Arugala salads with red onion, garlic vinaigraitte and homemade croutons. Roasted tomatoes and fresh basil on garlic toast. Riced colliflower. Cinnamon and brown sugar apple tarts.

Nothing bottled or pre-prepared (he did use a boxed carrot cake mix, but added a reduced pineapple syrup, and made his own cream cheese frosting) ....just my son home cooking! He's only been here for a couple of weeks, but he's still cooking for a crowd like a pro. My only complaint is that it's just too much food, and becomes wasteful when we can't eat all that he cooks, and the freezer gets filled. Take my First World complaints with a grain of salt.