Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What's cookin' ?

Six Jimboy's tacos. All mine.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Oh, I wasn't paying.
    The Jew rarely does, that is how he retains his wealth, nyet?
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    The Jew rarely does, that is how he retains his wealth, nyet?
    Might not apply to fair-skin, red-head Jews.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    In that case, move as fast as you possibly can.

I would like to know why you didn't actually inspect the place before you moved in, though.
    We did inspect the place properly. The problem is its a rented, fully-furnished accomodation but all the furnishings are bottom-of-the-market cheapest stuff available. The washing machine died, I fixed it. The tumble-dryer died - we got a new one for our Christmas Present from her parents. The kitchen stuff we can't replace.

The house itself was OK for us. Our first home it ticked every box, at an affordable budget. Not a long-term solution of course, but as a short-term accomodation for 2 people who'd always lived with family (exc. my time at uni), had only been going out together 2 months and where she doesn't drive so limited geography close to work, I have no regrets. There were better kitchens available if we'd gone for a nasty apartment on a reallly rought and dangerous council estate nearby (which wouldn't have had a garden or garage or safety). No thanks.

Looking to buy a house ASAP but more important to get the right one, than the first one.

Yesterday i had home made curries which my grandfather made - i'll be having it today as well as he makes enough to find an army.

Spaghetti bake.
    Such is Life...

Chicken breasts, sauteed in a bit of olive oil, then topped with a couple of spoonfuls of jarred salsa and a sprinkling of cheddar cheese. Served with corn (from a can, even) and broccoli (fresh, microwaved).

Time from beginning to cook to sitting down with dinner - 8 minutes.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by termite View Post
    Just roasted a whole prime beef fillet with spuds, carrots, sweet spuds, pumpkin and corn cobs.

I encrusted the fillet with ground pepper & salt, a little garlic, basil and threw in some coriander.

I placed the whole lot in my cast iron roasting dish and cooked inside my BBQ for just under 2 hours at 200C and it was absolutely divine with a little gravy and a glass of Margaret River Red Wine to wash it down.

The key to the whole dish was 375ml of Crown Lager beer poured over the meat and vegies just as it enters the oven/BBQ.

De-fucking-licious.
    Wow, that does sound tasty! I like men who can cook like that.

<had to scroll back here to see what Rand was saying about his tiny fridge, since he bought a new place >

I like cooking, but generally don't have the time to cook the way I like during the week so I get the weekend cooking duties.

Bitter posted a recipe for green soup months ago and I copied and made it at home several times and it was very nice - I think I'll do that one again this weekend.

*Oh and as for that BBQ roast fillet in beer, if you're doing pork use Jack Daniels and Coca Cola (has to be coke for the sweetness) instead of beer but cook the vegies separately. The Jack's n coke leaves a sticky sweet glaze on the pork that is indescribable.
    Such is Life...

Tonight I'm cooking a honey balsamic chicken. Spicing the chicken with thyme and a bit of salt and pepper with a balsamic vinegar and honey glaze. Served with mash and vegetables.

Sounds yum Rand.

Is the glaze just balsamic vinegar and honey and nothing else?

I've never tried a glaze before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Yeah. After cooking the chicken (2 breasts) on the frying pan for about 20 minutes, I put it on a plate and then mixed 2 tablespoons each of balsamic vinegar and honey and put that in the pan. Stirred constantly for a minute and then poured on top of the chicken.

I'd never tried it before either, but it worked really well.

Pork chops marinated with herbs and garlic

--------

Does anyone have any recipes that don't require fresh food? EG canned etc

Not really, unless you just want to eat veg meals.

My mother occasionally uses canned chicken (drained and rinsed really well) or tuna, but I don't particularly like either.

If I use canned vegetables, it tends to be in a southern style casserole - take your canned veg, add a can of condensed cream of chicken or cream of celery soup (or some mayo) - a bit of chopped onion, and sometimes a little cheese.

Covers up the taste of it being from a can, anyway.

And I try to buy no salt or reduced salt whenever I buy anything that isn't fresh.

My black bean soup recipe (that's not exactly what I do, but it is the general idea, I just modified it for me) is mostly not fresh - but it probably makes more than the two of you could eat in a sitting, anyway.

We're cooking up a storm tonight for a big pseudo-potluck we're hosting over the weekend. To cook tonight? Let us see...

1. Brisket
    Simple - take a brisket (doesn't have to be a particularly good cut, but the better the cut the better it'll taste), dump it into a crock pot with BBQ sauce, garlic cloves, pearl onions, and chopped up potatoes. Wait ~6 hours.

2. Garlic Roasted Cauliflower
    Raw cauliflower chopped up into a baking pan with garlic cloves, seasoned salt, a touch of olive oil. Add other vegetables and seasoning as desired. Bake.

3. Chocolate Pecan Pie
    Eggs, sugar, margarine, light corn syrup, dark chocolate chips, and pecans. Dump into a 9 inch pie pan and bake.

4. Broccoli pie/casserole/thingy
    Easy way to add a tasty vegetable side: Chopped broccoli, onion seasoning, mayo (ugh, I know, but I swear we only use it for this), eggs, flour, and milk/creamer/whatever. Dump into a pie crust, cover with something crunchy (bread crumbs, cornflake crumbs, whatever). Bake.

5. Mexican Pasta Salad
    Haven't a clue if it's mexican, but it's got beans and green olives and stuff so it's gotta be something, eh? Cooked pasta, corn, beans, bell peppers, lots of scallions, spanish green olives, optional tomatoes. Dressing: lemon juice, cumin, cilantro, olive oil. Garnish: Grated cheddar and salsa.

6. Asian-y Cabbage Salad
    Pretty basic: cabbage, scallions, roasted almonds or pecans, uncooked ramen noodles, craisins, sesame seeds, optional mandarin oranges. Dressing: a sweet soy sauce vinaigrette.

We're also making a pretty basic lasagna (noodles, sauce, cheese, veggies, and crumbled beef stuff) and a couple of other salads, but they're pretty boring and standard. We might throw in a simple fruit soup as well. As you can tell, we go with *really* easy recipes.

King Prawn Stir Fry
    ~
    Cooking for 2 tonight:

150g Large King Prawns
    Half a small white cabbage, chopped
    2 large red chillies, finely chopped
    3 cloves of garlic
    1 red bell pepper
    1/3 bag of beansprouts
    1/2 bag of fresh egg noodles
    8 spring onions
    1 small courgette
    1 tbsp dark soy sauce
    1 tbsp sesame seed oil
    2 tbsp sunflower oil

- Heat the sunflower oil in a large wok
    - Crush the garlic and put in wok with the chillies, cook for a minute or two until the garlic goes brown
    - Chuck in the king prawns and the spring onions, toss around for about a minute
    - Chuck in the rest of the veggies, toss around for about 3 minutes
    - Chuck in the egg noodles, add the soy sauce and sesame seed oil, toss around for a further two minutes
    - Serve
    - Smack lips.
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 03-23-2010 at 11:03 PM.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Ta-cos

Tacos are fun!

But messy

And best with company, but ah well
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Ooooh, I want tacos.

Tacos are the Deus Ex of foods

Mention them, and someone gets a craving

That's what happened to me!

I think we'll have tacos for dinner tonight!

Singapore style rice noodles with plenty of spice - from Noodle Box, they cook it up in front of you and it is one of the more edible takeaways I am willing to eat.
    Such is Life...

Nothing in the fridge tonight and I can't be arsed with the shopping.

Takeaway for me too then.

Curry.
    or Chinky.
    or fish 'n chips.
    Pizza too greasy.

Hm.

Cold roast beef and salad and Turkish bread tonight, lazy but tasty.

I love big fat olives stuffed with parmesan cheese.

Cold beer tonight, Carlton Dry Fusion with Lime.

Such is Life...

Quote Originally Posted by termite View Post
    I love big fat olives stuffed with parmesan cheese.
    Now you're talkin'.

Love olives, green olives, prepared in just about any way. Stuffed with garlic, or chillies, or peppers, or with fetta, or in various oils and herbs, or various combinations therein.

Never heard of em stuffed with parmesan, but sounds yum.

I don't like olives

Last night I made a dish with spicy sausages, cut in short pieces, fried, with some onion and bell pepper and lentils, then added some stock and tomato paste, and salmon, and let it cook until the salmon was done. Served with couscous, very tasty

And tonight I'm eating at a friend who promised to make something very tasty
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

I baked a strawberry cake.

It's delicious.

I don't mean to be evil, but the fact that the strawberry market has collapsed so hard that farmers are saving money by letting the crops rot on the field is making me extremely happy in the grocery store.

Tonight the entree will be turkey tettrazini, unless I piss-off the cook/wife. I'm supposed to come up with desert. "Nothing from a box" she said
    The worst job in the world is better than being broke and homeless

I had KFC today. It was yummy

Last night I made mashed potatoes+broccoli with grilled salmon fillet and horseradish sauce, simple yet tasty And the night before that I had dinner at a cute restaurant in Antwerp and had a delicious libanese bread filled with cream, Camembert and vegetables.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!