Thread: What's cookin' ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I use instant noodles as a staple "I have nothing in and no time to cook" food. Always have some in, in the cupboard.

That's part of the problem. "Processed" food can last months/years, fresh food will be off within days. If I buy fresh food not for a meal I already have planned tonight, most of it gets binned. So I generally now buy food once I've decided what meal we're having tonight, which means most nights not using fresh food.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    If I buy fresh food not for a meal I already have planned tonight, most of it gets binned. So I generally now buy food once I've decided what meal we're having tonight, which means most nights not using fresh food.
    We plan our meals a week at a time. Things that are best very fresh (ifish etc) at the start of the week, through to meals I can make from the store cupboard at the end (pasta putanescca works a treat). If you make double and freeze half it normally works out cheaper than doing a different meal every night, and you don't have to buy processed food.

We had our kitchen ripped out a few weeks ago, and it's replacement should be finished today. We've largely been living off microwave meals in the interim. Most seemed pretty nasty, and even the posh 'Innocent' veg pots got dull quickly. I'll feel a lot better when I can get my kitchen
    There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    .... fresh food will be off within days. If I buy fresh food not for a meal I already have planned tonight, most of it gets binned. So I generally now buy food once I've decided what meal we're having tonight, which means most nights not using fresh food.
    The european way to shop. I think that's why your fridges are generally smaller than ours, in the US they're fucking HUGE. Most people shop once a week or even once a month, using a car and loading up. We don't have the fresh market stalls to make it convenient to shop every day....

Fresh lettuce is my problem, even using a lettuce-keeper it goes bad faster than we can eat it.