Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: School Cancels Prom Over Lesbians

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

Apples and oranges big guy. You're arguing apples with oranges. discrimination because of say, sexuality, is not the same as the jocks stuffing some nerd into his locker just to prove their stronger than he is.
    The worst job in the world is better than being broke and homeless

Quote Originally Posted by rumrunner View Post
    Apples and oranges big guy. You're arguing apples with oranges. discrimination because of say, sexuality, is not the same as the jocks stuffing some nerd into his locker just to prove their stronger than he is.
    Because...?

Yes, I understand that this seems to be everyone's position, however, it's simply a completely unsupported one. It really matters if you got your teeth knocked out for being gay, or if you got your teeth knocked out for being smart? And it's really *so* completely different if you're discriminated against for one arbitrary reason (sexuality) and if you're discriminated against for a different arbitrary reason (intelligence)?

I think not. But if you think so, feel free to forward an argument as to **why**.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

The difference being that in one case the school is doing the discriminating.

If the school would have a rule that only dumb kids would be allowed to the prom, there would be no difference.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Well, like I posted above (which started this whole discussion, I guess), my high school banned administrators certain kids from prom because the cool kids didn't like this clique or that clique, but according to most everyone else, that's a totally different matter than high school administrators banning a lesbian from the prom because the cool kids don't like lesbians.

<shrug> OK, whatever.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CitizenCain View Post
    Well, like I posted above (which started this whole discussion, I guess), my high school banned administrators certain kids from prom because the cool kids didn't like this clique or that clique, but according to most everyone else, that's a totally different matter than high school administrators banning a lesbian from the prom because the cool kids don't like lesbians.

<shrug> OK, whatever.
    Maybe you could give some more concrete evidence for that happening - as of yet we only have your own statement which is heavily biased, so pardon us if we don't take you at your word.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

<shrug> OK, whatever.
    Maybe that bold part should read: "Because the school doesn't like lesbians"

Banning people from proms is bad. I'm not into judging this or that badderdest based on incomplete information. It's just bad, bad, bad.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Cain quit calling it a clique like it was just catty girls being snotty to each other. It was a gang plain and simple. They were probably banned because of the possibility of them inciting violence. In this case the ones who would've been starting the trouble were the so-called cool kids, but instead of banning them for this it was the possible target that was discriminated against. That is the difference.

Cain quit calling it a clique like it was just catty girls being snotty to each other. It was a gang plain and simple.
    High school football teams - not just for athletes anymore. It's a gang... with gang colors and everything! Someone call the cops!

Seriously, are you one of those people who calls the cops to report a gang anytime he sees more than 3 teenagers in a group?

Oh, and now the kids who excluded the lesbian from prom have set up a facebook page to bully her. Found it on reddit, so of course, all the recent comments are from redditters, but I can't help but wonder how any of this has helped anyone at all, least of all Constance. (You thought you were unpopular before, huh? )

Jeremy Clarkson was right.

Those people do breed with vegetables.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

I don't think Constance is going to be staying in that part of the world for much longer.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Point being that exclusion and cruelty is just part of [American] high school, whether you're part of a federally protected class or not.
    Just to be clear, are you advocating a 'look the other way' approach to exclusion and cruelty because exclusion and cruelty have been, and currently are, part of how it all works?
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    Just to be clear, are you advocating a 'look the other way' approach to exclusion and cruelty because exclusion and cruelty have been, and currently are, part of how it all works?
    Well, clearly, getting involved and not looking the other way has made everything all better, hasn't it?

But no, I'm saying that exclusion and cruelty are part of life in general (and high school life, especially) and, in this case in particular:

A) It's bullshit of the highest caliber to create special privileges and immunities for politically favored groups of people and not for others.

B) This whole media spotlight is nothing more than a pointless, politically correct circle jerk to remind us how good we all are for caring about the plight of the [chic cause du jour]. It's not even news. What have we learned here? That the Deep South is full of inbred, half-brained bigots? That highschool kids are mean? That somehow, passing a law didn't magically make a bunch of bigots like homosexuals?

C) What a dumbass... trying to sue her way into a party. Yes, it's school-sponsored event, and yes, she should be allowed to go, but why the hell would anyone want to be at a party if no one else wants you there (let alone go to court over it)?

If it were only the kids, I'd agree with you completely. But as it is, this is discrimination by the school and the parents. This is where adults have to answer the laws against discrimination. This is where they are free to be as much inbred half-brained bigots as they like, but have to accept that there are consequences.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

but why the hell would anyone want to be at a partyProm if no one else wants you there (let alone go to court over it)?

A Prom is not a party. Not everyone at the school appeared to have hated her (4 years of that would have been mentioned by now).
    I remember my prom, I don't remember even a fraction of the people who came, much less mingling with all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    But as it is, this is discrimination by the school and the parents. This is where adults have to answer the laws against discrimination. This is where they are free to be as much inbred half-brained bigots as they like, but have to accept that there are consequences.
    Well, ignoring the "it's only discrimination if it's for one of these government mandated reasons" thing that irks me so much, what consequences have we demonstrated here? Any money damages will ultimately be footed by the state department of education, and the adults here got to keep their prom free from the evil taint of homosexuality, so, I'm not exactly seeing how they've been punished or taught a lesson or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post

A Prom is not a party.
    Oh? Students show up at the school gym (or wherever) voluntarily because they enjoy education so much? No, it's a party. Just because school dances are lame parties doesn't alter the case that it's a social gathering for the pleasure or amusement of those in attendance, or in common parlance, a "party."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Not everyone at the school appeared to have hated her (4 years of that would have been mentioned by now).
    Yeah, my guess is that the 6 other people who showed up at the "school-sponsored" prom didn't have a problem with her, but the fact that virtually the whole student body ditched out and went to a separate, secret prom just to avoid having her there... what would you call that? It doesn't sound like apathy or love to me. Seems like a clear-cut case of "hate."

A school dance is not a party.
    the fact that virtually the whole student body ditched out and went to a separate, secret prom
    you love generalizing high school so much, you should know damn good and well how extreme peer pressure can get

Well, ignoring the "it's only discrimination if it's for one of these government mandated reasons" thing that irks me so much,
    Irks me too, but whether it's a 'protected minority' or not, schools should not bar people from attending based on who they are (so yeah, they also shouldn't bar geeks or whatever from attending). If people do that themselves at private parties that's one thing, but the school should be open to all.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

High school football teams - not just for athletes anymore. It's a gang... with gang colors and everything! Someone call the cops!

Seriously, are you one of those people who calls the cops to report a gang anytime he sees more than 3 teenagers in a group?
    So now the football team are the victims, but here:
    Well not because they were lab nerds, at least. But what does it matter if you're excluded because of [federally protected class], or if you're excluded because of [federally unprotected class]?

All this concern about the poor lesbian who got excluded from prom is bullshit PC circle-jerking that ignores the fact that public high schools systematically exclude and discriminate against all manner of people who *don't* enjoy federal protected class status (and do so with surprising regularity). My high school barred a few dozen kids from the prom, based on the clique they were in, under the guise of "safety" (can't have a fight between the popular kids and this clique or that clique), but the real reason was that the football team and the cheerleaders just didn't want those people at the prom, and the school administration was happy to oblige.

So, you tell me - better, worse or exactly fucking the same as being banned for lesbian-ness?
    ...they are the instigators. you also made my point (as underlined) about that being about the fear of violence. there was no threat of violence in Constance's case, just the fact that she made some people uncomfortable.

So now the football team are the victims, but here:

...they are the instigators. you also made my point (as underlined) about that being about the fear of violence. there was no threat of violence in Constance's case, just the fact that she made some people uncomfortable.
    Do you know what the word "guise" means? No? Well, feel free to rejoin the discussion once you do.

Is it unusual to feel righteous anger regarding discrimination, especially in contexts such as this?

Sexual creed, isn't it just such a lazy vehicle for contemporary xenophobes?
    The whole; "You're gay and I don't agree, because it makes me uncomfortable and my trousers fill with centipedes as I'm forced to face my own insecurity", is archaic and tiresome.

The teen who was barred from attending her prom with someone of the same sex, who then had her prom cancelled to stop her from attending, and whom's school district lied about her being able to attend a private prom, has finally been awarded a settlement of $35,000 from one of our country's more evil school districts.

Seems low, low enough its all coming out of an insurance policy, but this is public education so I can't complain about that.
    I don't see any mention of the adults that ruined the last few years of this woman's public education suffering any type of reprimand, which to me, would have been a hell of a lot more satisfying.

Sadly, I doubt that the knowledge that many citizens consider them too low to lick public toilets clean has penetrated their thick skulls, much less cause them emotional distress.

Well, this is actually appropriate for emotional distress. I'm always faintly disgusted by awards of millions of dollars for somebody being a donkey. This seems in proportion.

Apparently they also won a non-discrimination policy in the district that also includes sexual orientation: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...htm?csp=34news

but the district claims they were already following such a policy, so don't expect much change there.

Yeah, but I'm pretty confident they won't try shenanigans last year.

Though I doubt there will be any openly gay students either.