Thread: Important Question About Manhood

Default Important Question About Manhood

Double-edged safety razor?

Or cartridge shaver?

What do you use? What do you want to use? What is ethically superior?

I use cartridge, but from Aldi. It's the only Aldi product I regularly buy, because those Gillette blades are so fucking overpriced.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

I have an even better question about manhood - how does one go about teaching a teenage boy to shave?
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

You could always give him an electric razor. It's not like he has to worry about 5 o'clock shadow.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    I have an even better question about manhood - how does one go about teaching a teenage boy to shave?
    Send him this link:

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...shave+tutorial

Gillette - the best a man can get, shirley.

~

No wet-shaving here. Use hair-clippers to do a #1 grade all over head and beard.

I haven't really shaved for like the last 10 years, either have it done by a barber or forego it altogether and simply trim with hair clipper.
    Congratulations America

I figured it out pretty much by myself. But if you start electric there's not much that can go wrong!

I mostly trim mine, but when i do shave I use a cartridge, gilette mach 3 turbo (if only because it sounds cool ). I had some trouble with cheap razors once so I'm kinda wary about aldi ones. And I prefer to use shaving soap instead of foam.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

You don't really. You may need to help him understand moderation when it comes to shaving cream and aftershave, but otherwise he'll figure it out.

I started with an electric shaver, no idea the brand, then Gillette started sending free shavers for my birthday and christmas (still have no idea why). Used them for a while but slowly grew manly enough to use those cheap 2 blade bic razors. When Target clearances out their holiday gift boxes I'll wait till the razors hit half price and buy everything. Its the only way they even approach being affordable.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

I used to use those gilettes but for the past six or so years I've used a wonderful ergonomic trimmer from Philips. Just remind the boy to replace the blades reasonably often, he'll figure out the rest. Or print out articles from blogs about manliness and lifehacking
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

The same way one goes about teaching a teenaged girl to shave her armpits?

First comes why they feel the need to shave, followed by the tools and techniques of shaving. If there's an embarrassment for having a few stray hairs, maybe shaving isn't even necessary, and using manicure scissors is all that's needed?

Shaving can encourage hair follicle growth, and will change the texture of the growing hair....so it's important to understand what the teenager is trying to achieve in the first place.

But yeah, if your son wants to learn about "man-shaving", there are plenty of video tutorials. Just like tying a neck tie, or wearing a jock-strap or "athletic cup".

Stevie's weapon of choice: Merkur Double Edge with Feather blades (I use the Feather ones due to the thick nature of my whiskers). I use D/E blades as they require less passes which as a result causes less irritation for me personally. I find with a Mach 3 for example, you have to press the head firmly into your skin to get a good shave which causing irritation! A D/E shave is longer, requires more time and control but ultimately more pleasurable if you ask me.

Other shaving bits:

Badger Brush (Absolute must for a nice lather)
    Shaving soap by Truefitt & Hill (Mitchell Wools Fat soap is next)
    Pre shave - Hot water and flannel
    Post shave - Bluebeards Revenge Post Shave cream
    I also do multiple passes for a smooth finish

I plan on purchasing some Proraso Pre & Post Shave cream as I've heard good things about it. Oh and I also had some Taylor of Old Bond Street aftershave which was simply devine, I brought it while I was in Carmel last year and would recommend to anyone.

If anyone is ever in Vegas, I would suggest a shave in the Bellagio! I know you could do it yourself but it's quite relaxing having someone else do it with a Straight Razor/Cutthroat.
    Last edited by Lor; 11-21-2014 at 03:37 PM.

Oh and Dread, I've just been reading about 'Alfred Lane Solid Cologne' which seems to get good reviews so as I'm out of aftershave - I'll be purchasing later tonight. I'll update accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    I had some trouble with cheap razors once so I'm kinda wary about aldi ones. And I prefer to use shaving soap instead of foam.
    They went top in a test, so I gave them a try. The 3 bladed ones are OK, the five bladed are on the same level as Gilette.

I tend to use a cartridge. Gilettes since it's the only one I can get around here. I hate the cost but I just couldn't keep from nicking myself a couple of times each shave with disposables. I've never found an electric shaver that gave a really effective shave. I used to have a trimmer which I used a lot but it died on me and I haven't found a new one I liked.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    I tend to use a cartridge. Gilettes since it's the only one I can get around here. I hate the cost but I just couldn't keep from nicking myself a couple of times each shave with disposables. I've never found an electric shaver that gave a really effective shave. I used to have a trimmer which I used a lot but it died on me and I haven't found a new one I liked.
    I've find E/shavers burn my skin and actually pull my facial hair out at times which hurts ALOT. I've tried 2 different brands and also different heads but all done the same, it wasn't until I went to a D/E razor that I began to actually enjoy shaving.

I use Gilette Fusion and unlike others here am not bothered by the price. I tend to go through one cartridge a month and buy a set of 12 for £20. That means 20 quid in roughly a year which doesn't break the bank.

Cutthroat razors absolutely creep me out. I won't let the barber use it on me and I certainly won't. This is because of a story I read in Latin at school that stuck with me. One moment we're learning the vocab about a barber visit, then it's about death as the barber kills his client with the razor. That's stuck now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Not to mention the Demon Barber of Fleet Street
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

By the way....when the hell did cartridge razor blades get so damned expensive? And why do they have triple or quadruple blades, rotating heads, fancy handles, and all that jazz? Were there so many millions of men who just couldn't get a clean shave using a single or double blade razor?

You could get a clean shave, but now it's more comfortable, irritates your skin less, and you'll cut yourself less.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Lor View Post
    Stevie's weapon of choice: Merkur Double Edge with Feather blades (I use the Feather ones due to the thick nature of my whiskers). I use D/E blades as they require less passes which as a result causes less irritation for me personally. I find with a Mach 3 for example, you have to press the head firmly into your skin to get a good shave which causing irritation! A D/E shave is longer, requires more time and control but ultimately more pleasurable if you ask me.
    I've been considering moving to a DE from a cartridge. I ordered a Merkur last week and tried it out last night. My skin is somewhat sensitive and it did require a bit of extra time, but it was a good shave. The tricky part is some of the corners around the chin and upper lip. My Gillette seemed more maneuverable and less painful, I'm hoping it's just a skill gap I need to reach.

I've actually been a fairly happy Gillette customer for years; kept the same Mach 3 handle since about 2000. I'm trying this switch for travel, environmental and long-term cost efficiency.

I only had one small cut last night. Any tips on the upper lip?

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I use Gilette Fusion and unlike others here am not bothered by the price. I tend to go through one cartridge a month and buy a set of 12 for £20. That means 20 quid in roughly a year which doesn't break the bank.

Cutthroat razors absolutely creep me out. I won't let the barber use it on me and I certainly won't. This is because of a story I read in Latin at school that stuck with me. One moment we're learning the vocab about a barber visit, then it's about death as the barber kills his client with the razor. That's stuck now.
    If you can get over the creepiness of it, you'll notice a better finish when at the barbers. I always get my neck line and even around the ears done with one, I hate when it's not done. In fact I'd say I've been having it done that way for over 20 years.

The health & safety rules in the UK dictate that a barber MUST change their blades after EVERY customer. You're not even allowed to use an old vintage blade with a strop .

FYI - My blades cost me £4 for 10.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    By the way....when the hell did cartridge razor blades get so damned expensive? And why do they have triple or quadruple blades, rotating heads, fancy handles, and all that jazz? Were there so many millions of men who just couldn't get a clean shave using a single or double blade razor?
    I have no idea why they have multiple blades, they seem to market them as a better shave but I find them useless and a good D/E miles better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    I've been considering moving to a DE from a cartridge. I ordered a Merkur last week and tried it out last night. My skin is somewhat sensitive and it did require a bit of extra time, but it was a good shave. The tricky part is some of the corners around the chin and upper lip. My Gillette seemed more manoeuvrable and less painful, I'm hoping it's just a skill gap I need to reach.

I've actually been a fairly happy Gillette customer for years; kept the same Mach 3 handle since about 2000. I'm trying this switch for travel, environmental and long-term cost efficiency.

I only had one small cut last night. Any tips on the upper lip?
    My skin is also very sensitive so I started using a pre-shave routine using a product like Proraso as well as reading up on how to do it properly if you like. I normally apply the pre-shave product, then my shaving soap using a brush. This ultimately helps the blade glide thus cutting the hairs rather than pull for example. They also recommend having a shave after a shower for obvious reasons.

In regards to the upper lip:

1) I tend to stretch the skin around and shave a little area (short strokes) at a time while washing the blade often after I've used each side once.
    2) Make sure you've got enough soap on your lip so the blade guide and take your time! While a D/E is great, it is unforgiving if you rush.
    3) You'll notice that parts of your facial hair grows in different directions so you could end up shaving in different directions with the grain.

You can also Youtube 'shaving techniques', I've watched a good few and they can help you a lot.

I started with electric.
    Then moved on to cartridge.
    Then stopped shaving.
    Carthāgō dēlenda est