Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New York in spring

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Smaller pizzas end up with a higher crust ratio right? Cause the size of the crust generally doesn't change thickness no matter what size the pizza... so that means less awesome toppings and melted cheese for non-Americans!
    No one forces you to eat the crust.

You are probably not a fan of Focaccia I assume.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    An Italian would probably smack you for that abomination called "pizza".
    I've heard from several Italians that American pizza is substantially better than Italian pizza.
    Hope is the denial of reality

I prefer my pizza's to have a wider crust, that way they're easier to handle. I also don't like them to be overloaded with toppings because that makes the slices difficult to fold.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
    You are probably not a fan of Focaccia I assume.
    Its not that I don't like the crust, but if I'm ordering pizza, I want pizza. If I want breadsticks, then I'll order breadsticks instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    I prefer my pizza's to have a wider crust, that way they're easier to handle. I also don't like them to be overloaded with toppings because that makes the slices difficult to fold.
    You fold your tiny pizzas too? I only fold mine if I've having trouble managing the hot sauce or ranch. Which I admit is a taste I picked up in high school to help the school lunches go farther. But god I can't wait till PDQ finally announces their Buffalo Chicken Pizza.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Okay so you guys love pizza but what's your favorite street food?
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Its not that I don't like the crust, but if I'm ordering pizza, I want pizza. If I want breadsticks, then I'll order breadsticks instead.
    Exactly. Pizza is good for the toppings (or a stuffed crust). Not sure why people like what's effectively bread a with a tiny bit of cheese and tomato sauce on top. Not too impressed with that bread either.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Okay so you guys love pizza but what's your favorite street food?
    The type that doesn't result in food poisoning? Do you mean the food you buy outside?

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I've heard from several Italians that American pizza is substantially better than Italian pizza.
    I never met a single one saying that, and they live literally right next to us.

Selection bias. Why would any reliable person live next to you?

Well Italy can't move itself away from Switzerland by choice.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Are you sure those were Italians and not Italo-Americans?
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

It's hard to tell where one ends and the other begins.

I've never eaten a pizza in America that comes close to being as good as an Italian pizza.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Italians

Italo-Americans

Don't see any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    I've never eaten a pizza in America that comes close to being as good as an Italian pizza.
    You need to eat proper New York pizza, not some fake Georgian one (or God forbid, pizza from one of the chains).

Riiiight

You fold your tiny pizzas too? I only fold mine if I've having trouble managing the hot sauce or ranch. Which I admit is a taste I picked up in high school to help the school lunches go farther. But god I can't wait till PDQ finally announces their Buffalo Chicken Pizza.
    The way I eat a pizza would be to cut it in slices, then eat it with my hands, folding the slices just enough to not make the pointy end droop and keep the topping on/in. I'm not a big fan of panpizza's or thick crusted ones. They can be nice, it's just that I like thin and crispy a lot more.
    Congratulations America

Exactly. Pizza is good for the toppings (or a stuffed crust). Not sure why people like what's effectively bread a with a tiny bit of cheese and tomato sauce on top. Not too impressed with that bread either.

The type that doesn't result in food poisoning? Do you mean the food you buy outside?
    Hmm... some of the best pizza's I've ever had were kind of minimalistic but incredibly tasty...
    Congratulations America

You need to eat proper New York pizza, not some fake Georgian one (or God forbid, pizza from one of the chains).
    We have a couple of local joints that try to make Italian pizza. They fail.

But New York pizza has floppy, foldy crust that isn't baked in a wood oven? Bleh.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

If you want hard bread, why don't you just get some stale bread and put it in the toaster for 5 minutes?

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Hmm... some of the best pizza's I've ever had were kind of minimalistic but incredibly tasty...
    I like minimalist pizza...but that means good crust and good cheese.

I'm gonna whip-up a few suggestions...agreed that Boston isn't really worthwhile. Wonder if there's any place in the region worth a trip that wouldn't require a car. I mean, there is, but it depends on what you like. For some reason I have this nonsense idea that you'll miss a slice of 'Merika, which is inevitable for a trip that's 7 days or even 7 years.

I don't suppose you like hiking?

City slickers for the most part, we figure we'll be back in the future

Accidentally double-sent you a big fat list of ideas via PM. Whoops.

Dude that PM was gold! =) we hadn't even thought of standup but it'd be perfect. The list of things to check out is coming together. As usual we've forgotten to book restaurants in advance but we have good fallback options. Turns out if we want to see shows for cheap we'll have to surrender to the gods of chance and either enter the ticket lotteries or hope for other cheap tickets on the day of any given show. Might book Book of Mormon in advance at least, not sure. Top of the Rock is def. up there but also added a pub called McSorley's for hanging out with unknown internet people and the Refinery Rooftop for just hanging out in general. The pub is very close to two of the sushi places we'd like to check out so we'll have to see if we can think of a day's worth of things to do in that general area

Anyway, if any of you guys are in town during that week and would like to hang out, don't be afraid to let us know! We're trying to keep our itinerary summat open and flexible mostly so we can meet up with people who may be in town (family, friends, nemeses).

Right now I'm mostly worried about the phone issue and whether or not our credit/debit-cards will work there.

Why wouldn't they work?

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Dude that PM was gold! =) we hadn't even thought of standup but it'd be perfect. The list of things to check out is coming together. As usual we've forgotten to book restaurants in advance but we have good fallback options. Turns out if we want to see shows for cheap we'll have to surrender to the gods of chance and either enter the ticket lotteries or hope for other cheap tickets on the day of any given show. Might book Book of Mormon in advance at least, not sure. Top of the Rock is def. up there but also added a pub called McSorley's for hanging out with unknown internet people and the Refinery Rooftop for just hanging out in general. The pub is very close to two of the sushi places we'd like to check out so we'll have to see if we can think of a day's worth of things to do in that general area

Anyway, if any of you guys are in town during that week and would like to hang out, don't be afraid to let us know! We're trying to keep our itinerary summat open and flexible mostly so we can meet up with people who may be in town (family, friends, nemeses).

Right now I'm mostly worried about the phone issue and whether or not our credit/debit-cards will work there.
    It should work.

I do not know if I will be in the city that week! I will let you know soon, but they keep my on a tight leash. Last time I was in McSorley's I puked a bunch. To be honest, to this day I'm not 100% sure it was McSorley's but I've been too embarrassed to go back.

If you're going to do a show, the tradeoff of waiting in line is you could spend hours in line and end up with nothing. Then again, there is a cost to booking in advance.

How many nemeses do you have in New York?

Your card should work as long as it has the magnetic stripe (very few chip readers here) and your bank knows you're here.

I'm gonna say...don't waste your time or money on big shows at big venues. The Rockettes performing at Radio City Music Hall isn't something you should plan for, if your time is limited.

aight dread (and anyone else who might be in town), lemme know which days and times and places work best for you to just hang out or saunter around we have a long list of options but few items that are actually booked for any particular day or time. Family also welcome if they're okay with bumming around. just a few hours left till we set off on the first leg of the journey...!

minx, if you take a short train trip from NYC to Washington DC, the cherry trees should be blooming the first two weeks of April. I hope you'll take a day-trip to DC, even if you're not a "national monument" fan, or haven't planned that on your itinerary. It's a truly beautiful experience....and your timing is close to perfect.

thanks! I don't think we'll have time to go to any other cities but that sounds very tempting even so... we were really keen on seeing cherry trees but thought we'd miss them

So, I seem to have lost my dress shoes in the move... does anyone know of any Manhattan stores where I can get a decent pair of dark brown leather dress shoes at a fair price or just for cheap?

IIRC clothing in general, including shoes, are cheaper in the US than in Europe.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!