Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New York in spring

Default New York in spring

I have successfully suppressed my paranoia long enough to book a trip to the Stora Äpplet early next April and as usual I'd be grateful for any tips you may have for places to go, things to see/do/eat/touch if you had just one day to spend there, what would you do?

We'll be there for almost a week and mostly just thinking of hanging out and maybe seeing shows so if anyone's in town and up for grabbing a beer or the new York equivalent holla (or the New York equivalent)
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Why are you going to the Apple Store?

I went to NY for the first time earlier this summer, spending eight days in east village. Mostly just went to see The Knife play their last US show and see some friends.
    Your search had no results.

Quote Originally Posted by Dattu View Post
    Why are you going to the Apple Store?
    Fy fan, snackar du inte herrenfolkspråk?
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Ich dachte immer, das wäre Deutsch.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Have you been there before? Any idea where you'll be staying? Have you read Atlas Shrugged as a primer?

Warning; don't read Atlas Shrugged. Literally anything else you could think of would be time better spent.
    Congratulations America

Nice pun!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Have you been there before? Any idea where you'll be staying? Have you read Atlas Shrugged as a primer?
    earthJoker shuddered
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

It was a reference to the Atlas Shrugged statue in Rockefeller Center:

Click to view the full version

I might be in NYC in late March.
    Hope is the denial of reality

It was a reference to the Atlas Shrugged statue in Rockefeller Center:

Click to view the full version
    I doubt the veracity of this post; it implies traveling to Rockefeller center in NYC in order to prepare traveling to NYC.
    Congratulations America

No but I've seen some Seinfeld, Friends and HIMYM so I should be all right

Just booked 7 nights at this little hotel instead of going with Airbnb:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...k.html#REVIEWS

it seems to have the best combination of our most desired features and we stumbled across a pretty good deal

Application was approved so now we just have to make a reasonably busy but still relaxed and flexible itinerary.

Well, you booked a place in the neighborhood where Seinfeld was based. Will the whole US trip be based from NY?

Can't quite sort the reviews, but seems like a decent place. And that's generally a good subway line.

We'll be in NYC the whole time actually, not planning on going anywhere else this time around I must keep an eye out for that soup kitchen.

Depending on budget, you could do something like Philadelphia, Boston or DC as a day trip. Not sure I would recommend it, but Philadelphia has its charms.

Would you say you're a big food person? A big museum person? Big into architecture? Heroin?

Food! Foooood!! And entertainment and just walking around in nice places

I would not consider going to Boston a day trip, given that it's either like half a day on a train (one way) or flying with all that involves.

Keep in mind that in NYC 'a pizza' may not be a human sized pizza, but something the size you could feed an entire family with. For a really annoying expecience try to order a roll with something on it. Somehow Americans think it's a good thing if you need to specify every freaking item of a roll with a slice of cheese on it.
    Congratulations America

... oh - and don't bother with Burger Shack - if that's still a 'thing' over there.

What a waste of queueing for an hour that was.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    I would not consider going to Boston a day trip, given that it's either like half a day on a train (one way) or flying with all that involves.

Keep in mind that in NYC 'a pizza' may not be a human sized pizza, but something the size you could feed an entire family with.
    18" pizzas aren't the norm?

For a really annoying expecience try to order a roll with something on it. Somehow Americans think it's a good thing if you need to specify every freaking item of a roll with a slice of cheese on it.
    um...what?
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Try 11".

but thats so tiny
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

I had one in London. Not worthy of the pizza name.
    Hope is the denial of reality

um...what?
    No seriously, having to itemize your sandwich is highly annoying. I don't consider it service if I have to do a 12 step program if I just need to eat something.
    Congratulations America

see sandwich ≠ roll.

It really depends on the place of service. For some places, their whole angle is that you get to build it your way; subway, moes, chipotle. Other places it has a set design that you have to request for items to be held from; most fast food and sit down restaurants.

um...what?
    Yeah, I had to get used to that difference. Pizzas here in Germany are usually for one person and most people eat them with a fork and knife, while back in the states pizzas are much bigger and usually shared.

And the sandwich thing - my German boyfriend hates going to Subway because he hates having to pick everything; and I hate ordering at other places because they look at me like I have two heads if I ask for something to be left out.

Oh, and Aimless, it's only a 4 hour bus ride to Boston from New York and it's a great place to visit if you have the time to spare. You can have a lobster roll for me. I miss those!
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way...

Well, the biggest pizza I ever had was in Berlin
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by evenstar View Post
    Yeah, I had to get used to that difference. Pizzas here in Germany are usually for one person and most people eat them with a fork and knife, while back in the states pizzas are much bigger and usually shared.
    You get that large Pizzas under the name 'family pizza' or 'party pizza' here. But the normal is one pizza per person. The coolest pizza restaurants I ever saw were in Brazil where they got 'all you can eat' Pizza service and they just come to your table with the pizzas and you just get a slice of each pizza you like to have. Now only if the quality was the same as here or in Italy.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Smaller pizzas end up with a higher crust ratio right? Cause the size of the crust generally doesn't change thickness no matter what size the pizza... so that means less awesome toppings and melted cheese for non-Americans!

We have CiCis here for the all you can eat pizza buffet. You can even custom order pizzas and eat as much or as little as you like and the rest of the customers get the rest.

Dominoes just announced a pizza here wrapped in 3 and a half feet of bacon, but its like $12.

An Italian would probably smack you for that abomination called "pizza".

Smaller pizzas end up with a higher crust ratio right? Cause the size of the crust generally doesn't change thickness no matter what size the pizza... so that means less awesome toppings and melted cheese for non-Americans!
    No, not if you are having good pizza, OG.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.