Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: The CC's Musical Radar!

Cannot stop watching.
    Your search had no results.

Buddy Boy is watching Showboat, and I just heard this from it.

It's so true.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Cool clip too.
    Such is Life...

Denis the Menace remix of the Gypsy King's 'Bamboleo'

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Such is Life...

Such is Life...

Such is Life...

Such is Life...

Such is Life...

No joke, that's a damn good song. And ya know, Pink Floyd is in its own league. So.....

Damn, I can't find the live show that made the biggest impression in my youth.

Imagine this. 50,000 + people in a university outdoor stadium. The intro bands are great (but I can't remember who they were now). Someone passes me some really strong weed, everyone is either drinking or smoking, hugging or dancing and then.....

the whole place grows dark and silent. A hush grows over the crowd. Something is happening. We're stoned and a bit paranoid, but even the sober folks stop talking and look to the stage. 50,000 faces look toward the stage in a hushed and pregnant pause in the darkness......

Then, very slowly, quietly, we see some vapor rising at the stage floor. What is this, what is happening, is something burning or on fire?

Just then the whole stage floor begins to rise, and we realize it's dry ice with fans, and dim lights, stage fog, shhhhh! the show is beginning!

The stage floor rises in smokey drama, while a surreal organ starts playing in the background, almost like a funeral. The crowd is still hushed and anticipating.....

Then some fans clear the smoke and fog, at the same time a funeral durge begins, all orchestrated so perfectly (I've never seen anything like it before and may never again)

The funeral begins, while Elton John rises from below stage, as if he was waiting in the dark depths below, sitting at his grand piano, wearing a sparkly suit that glitters in the dark, and some huge glasses with shiny sequins too......

and everyone is just blown away. Being kind of young, I looked around to see others faces, and they were all agog. All of them. Everyone. Even people my parents' age were stunned, jaws gaping, hands clasped over their mouths.

I can't even describe the show, it was that powerful.

The next couple of hours went from a funeral, to a yellow brick road. Deaths to rebirths, golden promises. And some honky tonk in between. The whole thing was a feast for the eyes and ears and hearts. I don't think anyone walked out of there unchanged. It was THAT GREAT.

I had the Yellow Brick Road album for a long time, read all the credits and fine print, got to know Bernie Taupin as a lyricist, fell in love with Elton and his funky piano glasses. Too bad I can't describe the concert experience or find a video.

Pink Floyd, East Fremantle Oval, Western Australia - February 24 1988.

Very similar experience to what you describe.

I've since been to shitloads of live performances and always kept that night (Pink Floyd) in the back of my mind as a motivator to get off my arse and go see (and hear) good, live, talented people perform their craft for my enjoyment.

SETLIST

1. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts I-V)
      2. Signs Of Life
      3. Learning To Fly
      4. Yet Another Movie
      5. Round And Around
      6. A New Machine (Part 1)
      7. Terminal Frost
      8. A New Machine (Part 2)
      9. Sorrow
      10. The Dogs Of War
      11. On The Turning Away
      12. One Of These Days
      13. Time
      14. On The Run
      15. Wish You Were Here
      16. Welcome To The Machine
      17. Us And Them
      18. Money
      19. Another Brick in the Wall, Part II
      20. Comfortably Numb
      21. One Slip (Encore)
      22. Run Like Hell (Encore)

Such is Life...

Live is always best, nothing compares really. It should be on everyone's To Do List in Life.

When I read Crazy at your # 1 it made me think of

Pretty nice for sisters.

Dreamboat Annie is a really great song. But I can sing along with that whole album. At the time most people liked Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks.

edit just wanted to say, decades later this is still some fucking good guitar and vocals. Even lyrics. But then, it's part of my happy past. Should probably ask my older son if he thinks this is any good, eh.
    Last edited by GGT; 08-08-2010 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Live is always best
    Usually that is true, unfortunately I have witnessed a "few" performances that didn't meet expectation for various reasons but that's all part of the experience - I am just glad that I didn't have a really shit live performance as my introduction to live music.

Later that same year I went to see the legendary Mick Jagger perform at the Burswood Superdome on Oct 10, 1988

Unfortunately, the newly built Burswood Dome had never been used for a rock concert and due to the architecture of the building the acoustics were all fucked up - thereby making the concert a disaster of epic proportions. Poor Mick was totally frustrated and apologised profusely to the audience - they tried messing with all sorts of equipment but it was an utter failure. It was like listening to several performances all at once, delayed slightly each time and it just echoed and made you feel sick. A big part of the problem was the pressurised dome design of the building.

Can you believe that they fixed the acoustic problem by hanging giant fabric sheets from the roof of the Dome! Sadly it was too late for Mick.

Such is Life...

Gosh, this is like a walk down memory lane! Remember people, this was the 1970s, when MTV and music videos were still new. Watching this brings back tons of memories, when we used to wait for this to be played, because only a few folks had *gasp* a VCR.

Quote Originally Posted by termite View Post
    Can you believe that they fixed the acoustic problem by hanging giant fabric sheets from the roof of the Dome! Sadly it was too late for Mick.
    Actually, I can. We didn't have all this technology back then, you old man.

These guys were the first live gig I attended (1986), Doc Neeson is the lead singer and he has an incredible stage presence - he is a very tall intense, brooding individual but his impressive performance at that $10 concert helped me appreciate the value of live performances.

Such is Life...

I used to have a major crush on both of these sisters.

Beautiful song, timeless, listen to the lyrics.

Another concert from 1986 - The Australian Made Festival was fantastic - INXS, The Divinyls, Mental as Anything, I'm Talking, The Triffids, The Saints, Models & Jimmy Barnes.

This girl (Chrissy Amphlett) was just incredible on stage.

I guess her male equivalent at the time was the late Michael Hutchence.

Such is Life...

OK one more from my youth and I'll have to end this reminiscing before I get all teary.

This song is very special to me for personal reasons but I'm sure others can find something in it for themselves.

As you said before - listen to the lyrics....

Such is Life...

Such is Life...

Ok, since the "embed" thingy seems to escape my abilities...just go look up Carrie Underwood Temporary Home! It might not make sense to some, but if you have ever been homeless, it hits...HARD!!

Oh BTW...GGT, love that song! Saw Heart the very firstest concert I ever went to!
    Last edited by oldmunchkin; 08-12-2010 at 11:00 AM. Reason: I still can't type worth a fuck!
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

Quote Originally Posted by oldmunchkin View Post
    Ok, since the "embed" thingy seems to escape my abilities...just go look up Carrie Underwood Temporary Home! It might not make sense to some, but if you have ever been homeless, it hits...HARD!!

Oh BTW...GGT, love that song! Saw Heart the very firstest concert I ever went to!
    If it is a youtube video you just copy the url from the browser address bar and then reply to post here and click on the little "filmstrip" icon just above where you type your reply. Paste the url into the window that pops up and hit OK.

Piss easy.

Such is Life...

Such is Life...

This one?
    Such is Life...