Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: The CC's Musical Radar!

Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Such is Life...

Heh ... if I ever had to pick the song for the soundrack of my life...

We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Recently ran across these guys. Can you tell they're Coldplay fans?

Of course, I like the original much better. The wifey walked down the aisle to this one. I'm sure you get the gist of the song even without translation. First 20 seconds are junk from the Israeli version of MTV.

Dunno how to upload youtube here, but I am right now listening to ABBA...Take a Chance On Me! Blast from the past when you are as old as I am!
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

I can think of ten different songs by these guys I'd like to post, but this one will suffice. Funny thing is that the versions are all better on the Paris live record (not this, alas).

PS strange video version, but I like it.

Damn, man, you've done it again. I think you're only the second to post jazz.

Glad you've joined us!

This is from a fantastic 1st record:

Bad haircut though, Suzanne.

Edit: so so fond of the second song, but the first is so riveting, and a great exemplar of the many fascinating songs from her first record.

'cause when the lovin' starts and the lights go down
    and there's not another livin' soul around
    you woo me until the sun comes up
    and you say that you love me

Last edited by littlelolligagged; 06-15-2010 at 02:56 AM.

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

A song by Līvi, the most influential Latvian rock band.
    3 days ago, their lead singer Jānis Grodums died.
    RIP
    Carthāgō dēlenda est

I really wish they had gotten big in the US. Oh, well.

Django Reinhardt? You posted Django Reinhardt? Curse you, I can't top that!

This is fun though:

Here's a game: post music by musicians who named themselves after another music giant. This has Django Bates (and I highly recommend the first Earthworks record, proof that Brits can play jazz):

A later Earthworks incarnation:

The original '59 recording of Blue Rondo Ã* la Turk has to rank as one of my favorite of all time. The 2-2-2-3 9/8 rhythm he uses is really compelling (apparently it's a Turkish folk rhythm, which is part of the name's explanation), and his shift from 9/8 to 4/4 is one of the most skillfully conceived and skillfully executed time changes I've heard. I'd never considered the idea of musical "tension" in any sense other than the harmonic before I listened to Time Out, but I've come to think of that time change in Blue Rondo as a resolution of rhythmic tension. Of course, what's happening harmonically factors into it, too, but I think the tension comes primarily from our unfamiliarity with that 2-2-2-3 rhythm.

Okay, here's a recording of Herbie Mann (Herbie Hancock) and Joao Gilberto. I really like Bossa Nova. Like other forms of Latin music, it tends to be very nationalistic, and that can be very appealing to me. I thought it was really cool, for instance, when I found the same traditional melody in both a Gilberto record and a Gustavino piece.

If you like Reinhardt, you'll probably like this, too:

Really liked "Up North," too. I'm going to listen to more of them, but as a first impression Earthworks seems a bit too close to "smooth jazz" for my liking. Still, quality stuff

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    I really wish they had gotten big in the US. Oh, well.
    Tim Freedman is very good at telling a story in his music.

Such is Life...

Quote Originally Posted by Shipper View Post
    The original '59 recording of Blue Rondo Ã* la Turk has to rank as one of my favorite of all time. The 2-2-2-3 9/8 rhythm he uses is really compelling (apparently it's a Turkish folk rhythm, which is part of the name's explanation), and his shift from 9/8 to 4/4 is one of the most skillfully conceived and skillfully executed time changes I've heard. I'd never considered the idea of musical "tension" in any sense other than the harmonic before I listened to Time Out, but I've come to think of that time change in Blue Rondo as a resolution of rhythmic tension. Of course, what's happening harmonically factors into it, too, but I think the tension comes primarily from our unfamiliarity with that 2-2-2-3 rhythm.
    Time Out was a brilliant record all around. Take Five is a more famous song, but Blue Rondo has always been my favorite. IMO nobody in any popular genre was done odd time signature so well. And the switch back and forth with the blues groove is pure awesome.

That didn't sound like Herbie Hancock at all! Cool find! The Latcho Drom I'd heard before. The guitar work blows away any of the rock guitar heroes. Cool music from a different era. Woodie Allen would approve!

Speaking of which:

And I just throw this in because it's a classic of another time. I actually got to see him live at Bumbershoot, I think in 95.

Really liked "Up North," too. I'm going to listen to more of them, but as a first impression Earthworks seems a bit too close to "smooth jazz" for my liking. Still, quality stuff
    Then I have failed. They'll do the occasional smooth jazz bit for leavening, but they are mostly experimental, driven by their famous drummer, Bill Bruford.
    Electric drums:

Acoustic drums :

one of my favourite songs btw, though this version is new to me

Nice! Waylon Jennings is old school country, when it used to be good. Like Johnny Cash. Not like the mindless pap of modern country.

One of the greatest musical minds of the 20th century:

I own this record, like solo Monk even better than with his band. Highly recommend it. Also great for romance. Though I suppose you could try Rammstein.

Quote Originally Posted by ']['ear View Post
    Nice! Waylon Jennings is old school country, when it used to be good. Like Johnny Cash. Not like the mindless pap of modern country.
    Country was never good.

Lolli, that was when Aerosmith was so fuckered up they couldn't even stand up, let alone sing! Actually, I love that album!
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

Here's a bit of bizarre departure. Mike Oldfield has got to be one of the weirdest guys I've ever seen. I swear to god the guy has Asperger's or something, and his group of musicians is a pretty creepy clan. But his strange brand of orchestral rock is unique.

Platinum first and second half:

MC 900 ft Jesus

Vanilla Ice meets Shakespeare

There's good country out there. Aerosmith is okay

Ah, so you know Jesus! Unique music, and lots of fun. A little hit or miss, but some of it is great. "One step ahead of the spider" is my favorite, because it's so jazzy. Plus, it features Burnin Vernon Reid!

Living Colour:

Here's Burnin Vernon with Jesus:

Does far more justice to his guitar skills than the stuff with Living Color.
    Last edited by ']['ear; 06-20-2010 at 06:05 PM.

What the heck? Nobody listening to music?

Sure I'm listening to music:

Came by in a playlist with a shitload of good alternative music from somewhere in the 90s until now, with a decent portion of Belgian and Dutch songs
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!