My wife and I need to set up a will and trust for our life insurance/etc. assets in the unlikely event that we would both die unexpectedly. We've found a lawyer we trust, but the price tag is a bit steep - almost 2 grand, though that's in line with what we've seen quoted elsewhere. There are, however, lots of online DIY will/trust options that are much cheaper - on the order of $100. Some reviews I've seen say that these sites are 'good enough' for 'simple' estates, though they are couched in caveats about the somewhat sloppy/imprecise nature of the documents.

Have any of you used these online services? Did you feel they met your needs and obviated the need for a lawyer? I'm mostly looking for a way to set up our assets (mostly life insurance plus some modest retirement/etc. savings) to avoid probate and state level estate taxes (our estate isn't big enough yet to trigger federal estate taxes), and set up a trustee and guardian for the trust assets. We'd also like the future-proof the document and make it as portable as possible across state lines.

Any of you have experience doing this? I'd love to save nearly $2k but am a bit leery of doing so if the product won't meet legal standards.