Rand, I don't like it when people equate canvassers with beggars or charity muggers. That makes Girl/Boy Scouts selling cookies/popcorn door-to-door sound like harassers.

<But you're right that blood donation criteria, based on sexual behavior, has been modified.>

When it comes to charitable giving....over the years I've found that putting change into kettles or trays, or waiting for "events" just doesn't raise enough money for those asking/needing. It might make me feel good for doing good at the moment, but what they need are "sustainable donors", not random donors.

It becomes a real commitment when I give them my bank account numbers, and agree to automatic monthly withdrawals. I do that for my car insurance and health insurance....so why shouldn't I do the same for charities?

I used to be a "sustaining donor" for my church, the SPCA, the local food bank, Habitat for Humanity, National Public Radio, Boy Scouts of America, Komen for the Cure...all sorts of organizations. But now the only automatic payment I make is to the Southern Poverty Law Center. That's primarily because, but not solely due to, my son working for them as a canvasser.