Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Books!

Default Re: Books!

Re-reading The Moon is Down by John Steinbeck.

Default Re: Books!

Principles of optimal design, Modeling and computation
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Dread, if you ever read this thread (though why would you),

Re: Our earlier discussion on the Mercedes auto manufacturer and why Jews would not buy their products

It turns out that Dr. Goebbels was personal friends with their top owners and leaders, moreso than the Führer. Once again actual history is lost and silly anecdotes remain.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

This thread reminded me...does anyone have any suggestions on what would be a good biography on Nikola Tesla that they've read which is both unbiased and isn't embellished, or focused solely on his crazier ideas (ie. treats him like a brilliant scientist, and not a death-ray obsessed maniac)?
    . . .

I take it my link to Rotten Library would not be appreciated
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    I take it my link to Rotten Library would not be appreciated
    If its anything like certain Discovery or History Channel episodes that cover his life where they devote 5 minutes to his early life, 10 minutes to his scientific discoveries and inventions (skipping over the ones attributed to Edison), and then spending the remaining 45 minutes covering death rays, the rumored link to the Tunguska event, and the US Gov't seizing his papers after his death and how that may be taken as proof he had some hardcore death ray tech, then probably not...
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    If its anything like certain Discovery or History Channel episodes that cover his life where they devote 5 minutes to his early life, 10 minutes to his scientific discoveries and inventions (skipping over the ones attributed to Edison), and then spending the remaining 45 minutes covering death rays, the rumored link to the Tunguska event, and the US Gov't seizing his papers after his death and how that may be taken as proof he had some hardcore death ray tech, then probably not...
    I just discreetly write "Tesla was robbed!" on every whiteboard and blackboard I come across

Rebel without a cause

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    You know that the US gov't used his earthquake machine for the quake in Haiti, right?
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

I just discreetly write "Tesla was robbed!" on every whiteboard and blackboard I come across

Rebel without a cause
    Knowing what I partially know now I get really pissed that it is standard educational procedure here to teach about Edison's "inventions", as opposed to things Tesla invented that Edison was just better at stealing/marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    You know that the US gov't used his earthquake machine for the quake in Haiti, right?
    He also helped a steampunkish Victorian magician clone himself a few dozen times so he could perform an impossible water-trap escape!
    . . .

The two books The Witcher game is based off of are really good. Titled The Last Wish and Blood of Elves.

Del Toro's The Strain is good for the first 80% of the book, the last 20% is wasted setting up for the trilogy. Still a good read, and a good refresh to the vampire genre.

Going back a hand full of years... I finally found the first book in The Sin War set in the Diablo Universe. Had to have it sent from a hole in the wall library in Kansas somewhere. So far so good.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 01-26-2010 at 02:53 AM.

Got the next edition of the Pride & Prejudice & Zombie (Dawn of The Dreadfuls) books going through v.soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Lor View Post
    Got the next edition of the Pride & Prejudice & Zombie (Dawn of The Dreadfuls) books going through v.soon.
    I really liked Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, so I'll most likely get this one when it comes out. Was the Sense and Sensibilty one any good?
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way...

Quote Originally Posted by evenstar View Post
    I really liked Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, so I'll most likely get this one when it comes out. Was the Sense and Sensibilty one any good?
    If I'm really honest I've not actually read it, however many people at work read it and thought it was good but not as good as PPZ. I've read a few lines from the new one but since it's not my cup of tea nor the entire book ... who knows how good it is.
    Last edited by Lor; 01-27-2010 at 06:21 AM.

I'm reading Rant by Chuck Palanhiuck at the moment.

I'm sort of halfway through Dr Zhivago as well but I've stopped for the time being, it's really slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    I'm reading Rant by Chuck Palanhiuck at the moment.

I'm sort of halfway through Dr Zhivago as well but I've stopped for the time being, it's really slow.
    TG, is that you?

Nope. I was in the RCT section mainly at Atari.

reading the second book of Kate Elliott's Crown of Stars series. Not bad.

Also reading Evolution: the first four billion years. A series of essays by leading lights, but really you're better off reading some old Gould (Ever Since Darwin is probably best to start with.)

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    I really liked what Sandersons did with The Gathering Storm, but for the fact that - again - the series has been extended a couple of books.
    Couldn't be helped. Jordan left such a gargantuan number of loose ends, it would have taken him another ten books to get out of it.

Anyway, the first WoT for which I didn't have this slightly nauseated after-effect of feeling that I'd wasted my time. Jordan is technically a better writer, at least syntactically. Sanderson made some kind of strange sentences, and really botched a couple of word choices (ever heard of a dictionary, buddy?) But the writing is FAR more concise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Last finished book was "The Jennifer Morgue" by Charles Stross. I'm currently working on "City at the End of Time" by Greg Bear. It's not as easy to get into as previous Bear novels I've read.
    Very different, IMO. It's a re-write of an actual bizarre early SF book called The Night Land, through which I heroically struggled at one point. Strange stuff, but worth the read.

J.D. Salinger (or should I say Holden Caulfield) died today.

He seemed to be fulfilling Holden’s desire to build himself “a little cabin somewhere with the dough I made and live there for the rest of my life,” away from “any goddam stupid conversation with anybody.”
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/29/bo...linger.html?hp
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

I always felt that I missed something in The Catcher in the Rye.

Rebel without a cause
    You rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    I'm reading The Testament of Gideon Mack by James Robertson atm. Unusual, and very well written. It's about an atheist priest who meets satan.
    Finished it over the weekend.

Thoroughly depressing toward the end. Desolate and lonely, with a dreadfully dark yearning.

I felt quite pitifully sad. The tone of the ending few chapters and the mood set therein was unpleasantly morose.

Seemed to affect me for days afterwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Planning to start on Makers by Cory Doctorow. Not sure what it's about, yet, but I have thoroughly enjoyed his other work.

Heads up for the impoverished or those who want to know more before they buy; he lets his books be free downloads on his site as well so you don't have to buy them in physical form if you don't want to

Halfway through Eco's Foucault's Pendulum

This book is a lot funnier than I remembered!

But I am also somewhat surprised about how many of the key points I remembered, still, and it's been about 8 years since I last read the book

Powerful writing, maybe? He spins his tale masterfully, intrigue and primal mystery

But there's no rush, it is all in all a fairly laid-back narrative, despite the urgency of the situation the protagonist is in

Eco writes like a more meticulous Borges

And goddurnit I like it!

World War Z. Had to get it after studying the Zombie Survival Guide. Kind of disappointing, though.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Finished Foucault's Pendulum

My gods what a book!

Finished Foucault's Pendulum

My gods what a book!
    Huh.
    Wiki entry sounded interesting..(yeah,yeah)

Have to check that one out.

I've recently read "The Life of Pi" for the second time. I absolutely love that book!
    All those moments lost in time... like tears in the rain

I just started Cold River by Carla Neggers. 3rd chapter in and it's damned gooooood!
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

Finished Slaughterhouse-five: The Children's Crusade again.

I adore his writing, I really, truly do. But his books also make me want to cry so very much, and that makes them awkward to read during the commute, or outside home.

But I suppose it is good to cry, sometimes.

Im currently reading Stephen King's Desperation. He is such a great author, so much visual details you an imagine anything that is writin in those books.