Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Books!

I have a volume with the black company, shadows linger, and the white rose together. Is that the right sequence? Im on shadows linger and it seems ive missed something.
    "Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink, because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Spawnie View Post
    Story of O isnt actually that great a read, though it is interesting how much a part it has played in euro-imagination when it comes to sex.
    It's more accessible than de Sade And Sacher-Masoch is very cumbersome
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Spawnie View Post
    I have a volume with the black company, shadows linger, and the white rose together. Is that the right sequence? Im on shadows linger and it seems ive missed something.
    No, that's the right sequence. Black Company, Shadows Linger, and White Rose are basically "The Books of the North," Shadow Games and Dreams of Steel are "Books of the South," Silver Spike is a side-story which shares continuity with Shadow Games, and then four books for "Glittering Stone".

Shadows Linger is something between four and six years after Black Company, White Rose is even longer after Linger. Shadow Games is a few weeks after end of White Rose and seques immediately into Dreams of Steel. The first book of "Glittering Stone", Bleak Seasons, plays temporal games, She is the Darkness follows immediately after, and then he goes back to multi-year gaps between the stories.

Black Company and White Rose were the two I liked best.
    Last edited by LittleFuzzy; 05-27-2010 at 06:29 AM.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

In perpetual orbit around a point three seconds to the left of the future.
    Bought Chasing the Dragon by Justina Robson last night and immediately started reading it. Her Quantum Gravity series is a fun read.

I also bought the first book in Robin Hobbs new series, I can't remember what it's called atm. I never finished her Soldiers Son series so I'm not sure if I'll like this one either but meh, it was cheap.
    Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of wafer thin printed circuits that fill my complex. If the word hate was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of millions of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for humans at this micro-instant.
    For you.
    Hate.
    Hate.

Soldiers Son was OK. Tawny Man was OK, but not as good as the earlier Assassin series.

FFs, why must people always write in trilogies? I'll answer my own question: money.

Quote Originally Posted by ']['ear View Post
    FFs, why must people always write in trilogies? I'll answer my own question: money.
    The plot's too big for one book? It's challenging to do? Because the publisher won't let you write one less/more book?

And money is perfectly valid reason. Unless you're a big name author writing fiction doesn't actually pay all that well. If you can get a publisher to sign you on for a trilogy then not only do you now have an advance on your first book but your next two books are also guaranteed to be bought and paid for too! You can eat for next three years!
    Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of wafer thin printed circuits that fill my complex. If the word hate was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of millions of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for humans at this micro-instant.
    For you.
    Hate.
    Hate.

Trilogies are great.

If it's a new series then awaiting the next book really gives you something to look forward to, particularly if the previous book(s) have been good.

Peter Hamilton tends to write in trilogies or ... what do you call two-book series ... duologies.

His Void series is a case in point ... The Evolutionary Void is due out this autumn ... and the previous two Void books were great. Am really looking forward to picking this up when it's out.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Timmy, can you tell me who printed the 1st n 2nd book please? (Check the imprint page, should say "Printed and Bound by ....").

It could be one of two places - Mackays or Clays.

I have the first one, The Dreaming Void, in softback.
    The second, The Temporal Void, in hardback.

Both Printed and Bound in the UK by CPI Mackays, Chatham.

~

Why?
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    I have the first one, The Dreaming Void, in softback.
    The second, The Temporal Void, in hardback.

Both Printed and Bound in the UK by CPI Mackays, Chatham.

~

Why?
    Ahhh, the wee sausage factory bastards done it (our sister company within CPI Group).

I was just curious thats all. I could probably find out exact dates of it hitting the shelves.

Oooh ok.

Around 24th August is the date I seem to remember. Will buy it when it first hits the shelves I should think.

Oooh ok.

Around 24th August is the date I seem to remember. Will buy it when it first hits the shelves I should think.
    Meh, sod the buying ... i just "borrow".

Naw. I like having books - tend to buy rather than do the library or borrow. I reread most of my books multiple times too.

Will want the complete collection. Have a shelf full of Hamilton's vast space operas.

I don't borrow with the intention of returning it, i just walk to either the binding lines in the factory and take a copy or ask one or two peeps at Mackays to send me a copy. Perks baby, perks!

I'll keep my eye open for any future Hamilton publications and let you know.

His Void series is a case in point ... The Evolutionary Void is due out this autumn ... and the previous two Void books were great. Am really looking forward to picking this up when it's out.
    How was the second one? I have it but I haven't started reading it yet.
    For you.
    Hate.
    Hate.

'Tis good.

As good as the first. Keeps you itching for more.

As good as the first. Keeps you itching for more.
    See I had a problem with the first book. I enjoyed it right up until I realised that the Commonwealth had turned into the Confederation from the Nights Dawn trilogy. You've got OC Tattoos in place of Neural Nanonics, the Gaia field in place of Affinity, a form of immortality and the interesting train network has been ditched for FTL spaceships again and now we have an existential threat on the galaxy. I just began feeling like I'd read all this before.

I mainly skipped over all the Commonwealth chapters and focused on what was happening in the Void instead, which was much more interesting. In fact I reckon he should've just ditched the Commonwealth altogether and written a fantasy instead.
    Last edited by Tempus Vernum; 06-03-2010 at 12:39 AM.
    For you.
    Hate.
    Hate.

I am about halfway thru I Am Ozzy! It's really quite good and very hilarious in spots. I learned a whole lot of things about him I didn't know already.
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tempus Vernum View Post
    See I had a problem with the first book. I enjoyed it right up until I realised that the Commonwealth had turned into the Confederation from the Nights Dawn trilogy. You've got OC Tattoos in place of Neural Nanonics, the Gaia field in place of Affinity, a form of immortality and the interesting train network has been ditched for FTL spaceships again and now we have an existential threat on the galaxy. I just began feeling like I'd read all this before.

I mainly skipped over all the Commonwealth chapters and focused on what was happening in the Void instead, which was much more interesting. In fact I reckon he should've just ditched the Commonwealth altogether and written a fantasy instead.
    Aye a lot of people have noted the comparison there.

And indeed it is the void, and Edeard's story, that is the most compelling aspect of the two books so far.

Bought it for a quarter at a yardsale. Pretty good so far.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

And the most profound and provoking SciFi Novel ever written is: _____________________
    (please digest this question amongst yourselves and provide the answer, thank you.)
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

I just finished You've Been Warned by James Patterson and Howard Roughan. If you want to read something creepy, this is the book for you!
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

Just finished

Think I'll peruse

next
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Valverde's Gold.

A search for a supposed lost Inca treasure hoard in the mountains and jungles of Ecuador. It's quite fun so far.

~

Anyone read the increasingly popular book; Shantaram? Apparently it's being made into a movie.

The beginning of Superman and almost beginning of Batman, set during the 2nd red scare (1950s). Despite being 330 pages long, it was a quick read, and not a single picture or panel. It was a pretty good attempt to crossover.

Oh hey look its a book by the same author who helped Brian Herbert milk his father's monolith of a book for cash...
    . . .

Does anyone have an opinion on Moshe Lewin as a scholar? I got his Soviet Century but I'm not really liking his style, I'm not sure if it's just the translation's flaw though.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    And the most profound and provoking SciFi Novel ever written is: _____________________
    (please digest this question amongst yourselves and provide the answer, thank you.)
    Not willing to touch that with a 10 foot pole with a 10 foot extension, however I did read The Trigon Disunity (Trilogy consisting of Emprise, Enigma & Empery) when I was less old (about 1988ish) and would happily recommend it - if you could find it anywhere. It's possibly a little dated now but it got me interested in the sci-fi genre, this interest of course is a closely guarded secret in real life since I am a big burly biker and couldn't possibly read anything more complicated than a "Harley Oil Changes for big dummies in large print with pictures."

Oh and just in case you didn't know:
    Jaeger bombs are not a suitable alternative to solid food!
    Such is Life...

Queen of the Oliphaunts Elanya Rodillia's Avatar
    Byzantium, Stephen Lawhead
    Warbreaker, Brandon Sanderson
    Wyrd Sisters, Terry Pratchett
    Hyperion, Dan Simmons

I've read the first and third before, but Warbreaker and Hyperion are new ones for me.

The first two Hyperion cantos books are good, the second two are...Different. Be warned!