reading the second book of Kate Elliott's Crown of Stars series. Not bad.

Also reading Evolution: the first four billion years. A series of essays by leading lights, but really you're better off reading some old Gould (Ever Since Darwin is probably best to start with.)

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
I really liked what Sandersons did with The Gathering Storm, but for the fact that - again - the series has been extended a couple of books.
Couldn't be helped. Jordan left such a gargantuan number of loose ends, it would have taken him another ten books to get out of it.

Anyway, the first WoT for which I didn't have this slightly nauseated after-effect of feeling that I'd wasted my time. Jordan is technically a better writer, at least syntactically. Sanderson made some kind of strange sentences, and really botched a couple of word choices (ever heard of a dictionary, buddy?) But the writing is FAR more concise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
Last finished book was "The Jennifer Morgue" by Charles Stross. I'm currently working on "City at the End of Time" by Greg Bear. It's not as easy to get into as previous Bear novels I've read.
Very different, IMO. It's a re-write of an actual bizarre early SF book called The Night Land, through which I heroically struggled at one point. Strange stuff, but worth the read.