Thread: Net Neutrality is BS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    If enforced honestly, Netflix won't be allowed to to pay for the same server-side infrastructure they are paying for now.
    Please elaborate. And don't try to pull of a GGT redefinition trick.
    People talk about "rates" as if the Internet were a water utility.
    People? Which people? People I care about?
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Quote Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
    Please elaborate. And don't try to pull of a GGT redefinition trick.

People? Which people? People I care about?
    The massive regulatory bible the FCC voted-on a few weeks ago was only released last week. It will take a long time for many issues to be sorted out, but the core issue is the FCC is seizing jurisdiction of the Web via a 1930s law for telephone carriers. In order to do this, they have to run in circles and regulate non-discriminatory "rates" for the Internet much like phone calls were priced.

This opens the door to a great deal of stupidity because, after all, this is a 1930s law being applied to infrastructure far beyond the imagination of the people who drafted the law. This opens the FCC to any number of lawsuits, which could be used to discourage competitive negotiations for edge caching and other things that big companies like Netflix, Google, Facebook, etc. use to not slow-down Web traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    The massive regulatory bible the FCC voted-on a few weeks ago was only released last week. It will take a long time for many issues to be sorted out, but the core issue is the FCC is seizing jurisdiction of the Web via a 1930s law for telephone carriers. In order to do this, they have to run in circles and regulate non-discriminatory "rates" for the Internet much like phone calls were priced.

This opens the door to a great deal of stupidity because, after all, this is a 1930s law being applied to infrastructure far beyond the imagination of the people who drafted the law. This opens the FCC to any number of lawsuits, which could be used to discourage competitive negotiations for edge caching and other things that big companies like Netflix, Google, Facebook, etc. use to not slow-down Web traffic.
    Are we arguing about net neutrality in general or the regulations by the FCC? Because I have to admit, if you want to talk about the second, I am not interested.

Quote Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
    Are we arguing about net neutrality in general or the regulations by the FCC? Because I have to admit, if you want to talk about the second, I am not interested.
    Ah so do you support congress passing legislation or FCC making unilateral rulings? If you support the latter than it absolutely is about the FCC.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Ah so do you support congress passing legislation or FCC making unilateral rulings? If you support the latter than it absolutely is about the FCC.
    The internal political process of the United States of America is - other than for my entertainment - not of my concerns.